AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting wife a MacBook... air or pro?
Posted by: digby
Date: December 23, 2015 05:01PM
Poll
15 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Will my wife be happier with an Air or a Pro?

Well, after months of research into fixing old iMac vs refurbs* vs Czech Grey Market, I bought a new MacBookPro at the Apple Store.

But did I overspend?
The wife does mostly lightweight stuff and would be ok with an Air.
BUT... she does have trifocals and I thought the Retina Screen would be good, and this way if I need to do some Serious Photochoppin', I can borrow it (and its faster processor and better graphics card).

Or did I underspend?
I only got 128GB of flash memory. I keep thinking I should've gone with 256...

What's the communal wisdom here? Lots of opinions, please... I could switch models at the Apple Store tomorrow (or even after she opens it, I 'spose...)

Thanks! (first new mac since our 2009 iMac and 2000 Cube!)
digby

*I decided that my wife would suspKNOW that I'm a cheap SOB if I bought a refurb. So I probably will for me (holding out til the NewMacBook Rev.3.0 is out), but she'd like the comfort of "new".
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting wife a MacBook... air or pro?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 23, 2015 05:23PM
You didn't say what Pro or what Air. IMO at 13", the Pro is way better than the Air at only 0.5lb heavier. The 13" Pro is better than the 15" Pro if you don't need real Pro capabilities (quad core or dedicated video acceleration). The 11" Air is better than the 13" Air as it's more portable though the 13" has a better screen, regardless of the size difference.
Date: December 23, 2015 05:44PM
Thanks!

Yeah, didn't know if people wanted details. She wants a 13" screen, so I got that. MacBookPro retina, 2.5 mHz i5, 8 gigs of ram (I've tried 4, upped our Cube and iMac to 8 right away). Thought I'd try flash, so 128 there, but might trade it for the 256...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 23, 2015 05:54PM
I'd prefer a refurb over new. If parts were going to fail soon, they already did, and got fixed.

The only Mac I ever purchased as a refurb that showed any signs of being a refurb was my G4 MDD. There was a scratch next to the headphone jack where someone was careless and in a hurry (I assume) to plug in headphones.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 23, 2015 05:54PM
Refurbs from the Apple store are considered "new". Same Apple warranty and eligible for Apple care. The only difference is the price and the box.

BB has the 13" MBPr 8/128 for $1099 if that matters.

Oh, and with modern flash drives, the way RAM work is far far different. Running out of RAM in your Cube meant OS X using the HDD as "ram". The Cube's drive *might* have been benchmarked at about 20 MB/s.

The flash drive in that new MBP benchmarks at 1500 MB/s, just a wee bit more speed.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2015 06:02PM by jdc.
Date: December 23, 2015 06:55PM
digby
Thanks!

Yeah, didn't know if people wanted details. She wants a 13" screen, so I got that. MacBookPro retina, 2.5 mHz i5, 8 gigs of ram (I've tried 4, upped our Cube and iMac to 8 right away). Thought I'd try flash, so 128 there, but might trade it for the 256...

I think the 13" MBPro Retina is the best computer Apple sells right now. You got a good machine and I wish I had one!
Date: December 23, 2015 07:31PM
Lew Zealand
I think the 13" MBPro Retina is the best computer Apple sells right now. You got a good machine and I wish I had one!

I'll tell her you said that when she opens it and raises an eyebrow: "Are you surrrrre this is what we should've gotten?"

I'll say "Hey, don't take my word for it, Lew Zealand said so!"
(I've used that line a lot. But I've never liked the wistful look she gets when she says "Well, if that's what Lew wants...")
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 23, 2015 08:22PM
That depends...........

How good a wife is she?

eye rolling smiley
Date: December 23, 2015 08:46PM
Pretty mediocre...

...as a Mac maven.
eye rolling smiley yo'se'f.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 23, 2015 11:08PM
Lew Zealand
digby
Thanks!

I agree. I think you will regret not getting the SSD storage with at least 256GB as I suspect you will keep this machine for many years to come. And adding SSD storage is very hard.

(My wife knows refurbs are great at Apple and would prefer saving the $$. But we have a daughter that would rather have something new that's hers than something nicer that's 'used'. So I'll leave it up to your judgement if you take it in and get a replacement whether refurb is ok).
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 24, 2015 04:51AM
One downside of refurbs is that our AMEX card won't double warranties on anything but new. We don't buy AppleCare but rather use the doubled AMEX warranty to get us to 2 years warranty. Then hold our breath for the last year. We've never had a Mac fail in those first 3 years; in fact, we've never had a Mac fail. We replace them when they feel slow and old and a deal comes along, typically during the summer.

I'd trade yours for the 256 if your wife will be using the computer for more than a couple of years.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 24, 2015 07:15AM
Michael
I'd trade yours for the 256 if your wife will be using the computer for more than a couple of years.

If your wife stores a lot of photos/videos/music on the computer, the larger SSD will stand you in good stead. You might also consider sync'ing important files from your Mac to hers, as a backup, and there again extra space would be good.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 24, 2015 09:10AM
Sorry, but when daughter can afford to pay for it herself then she can pay the new premium. In the meantime you can teach her real-life economics.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: December 24, 2015 09:19AM
Yeah, I'm pleased to say our daughter has "graduated" ...from whining that she needs a new MacBook (she has the old white one), to saving up to buy her own. So we're giving her an Apple Store gift card for Christmas.

I really appreciate all the advice here! (And it comes with less snark than the olden days at that olden messageboard...)
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 24, 2015 09:56AM
Put a SSD in that old white one and it will feel like a new machine. If it's in good shape and depending on the year it's not a bad Mac. I'd put it on the for sale side.

There are several unobtrusive options for adding extra storage to the mbp you got. Search the forum for "jet drive"

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 24, 2015 11:42AM
digby
Lew Zealand

I'll tell her you said that when she opens it and raises an eyebrow: "Are you surrrrre this is what we should've gotten?"

I'll say "Hey, don't take my word for it, Lew Zealand said so!"
(I've used that line a lot. But I've never liked the wistful look she gets when she says "Well, if that's what Lew wants...")

Hee hee! You can always come to me for advice, just don't take too much of it or I'll have none left. And BTW Mrs. Zealand has a 15" MBPro Retina so you can see how seriously she takes me.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: December 24, 2015 06:10PM
+1 for 256gb.

Joyeux Noël, y'all!
Date: December 27, 2015 10:16PM
Update: she loves it! Thanks, all!

She did ask "Why can't I just use that skinny one?" So I showed her this thread: "The internet says you'll be happier with this one."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018