advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
running an external ssd on an older imac
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: December 24, 2015 04:52PM
i'm thinking about getting an ssd to run externally in a 2008 imac (8,1); i don't want to go through the expense or hassle of installing the drive internally.

the imac has usb 2 and fire wire 400 and 800 ports. is ssd through usb 2 worth it or would the machine feel about the same or faster with a regular hard drive running through a firewire 800 port?

joie noel, y'all!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: running an external ssd on an older imac
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 24, 2015 04:56PM
Why not put the SSD in a case with FW 800 ports?
Posted by: Black
Date: December 24, 2015 05:19PM
In my own personal experience, the machine will feel smooth and fast via FW 800 booting. USB2 booting will give a better experience than internal HDD booting, but there will be some noticeable stickiness relative to FW800. Unfortunately there's a bit of luck involved in trying to track down a FW800 enclosure for much under $60 these days.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2015 05:21PM by Black.
Date: December 24, 2015 05:20PM
ka jowct
Why not put the SSD in a case with FW 800 ports?
Probably better for the mac and the drive than trying to put the SSD through the Firewire port.

Posted by: sekker
Date: December 24, 2015 05:47PM
SSD in a FireWire case works great for my i3 iMac.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 24, 2015 06:20PM
is ssd through usb 2 worth it

Absolutely.

And yes, an SSD and FW800 will be a better experience. I've used both USB2 and FW800 cases with my minis and I can see a difference, though it's not huge.

Me being me, I'd try hard to get a FW800 box (I already have two), but if I couldn't or if it were pricy, USB 2 works better than good enough. Any SSD and port combination will be faster than any HDD and port combination.

In the end, if you can get a FW800 enclosure reasonably, great. If not, don't let that stop you from using USB2.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 24, 2015 06:37PM
OWC sells a nice clear case with FW800 and USB 3. There is an optional power supply, which I would get if I were going to run my system from the external.

[eshop.macsales.com]

Sometimes these crop up in OWC's garage sales or on eBay for less than $60.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2015 06:37PM by ka jowct.
Date: December 24, 2015 06:44PM
RAMd®d

Absolutely.

And yes, an SSD and FW800 will be a better experience. I've used both USB2 and FW800 cases with my minis and I can see a difference, though it's not huge.

Me being me, I'd try hard to get a FW800 box (I already have two), but if I couldn't or if it were pricy, USB 2 works better than good enough. Any SSD and port combination will be faster than any HDD and port combination.

In the end, if you can get a FW800 enclosure reasonably, great. If not, don't let that stop you from using USB2.
thumbs up

Posted by: jdc
Date: December 24, 2015 07:27PM
RAMd®d
smiley-score010smiley-score010

You have waited too long. I ran a 2007 iMac from USB 2 and FW800, both were way better than the internal.

A USB 2 (USB 3 works fine too) case should be about $10.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2015 07:28PM by jdc.
Date: December 24, 2015 09:36PM
Used FW800 can be had for under $20 too.
Date: December 24, 2015 09:40PM
sekker
In for two. Link?

Posted by: TheToddler
Date: December 25, 2015 12:12AM
SSD via FW800 on a 2009 iMac ... Excellent performance.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 25, 2015 07:21AM
goodmanx,

I have a 2007 iMac 7,1 (6GB RAM) that I tore apart and installed a 500 GB SSD in. The installation is easy and the results are really great. I used OWC's video to do it. I must encourage you to do it rather than use an external drive. I am running both 10.10.5 and 10.11.2 on it, and the SSD has given the iMac a new lease on life. It does a great job on all but the heaviest tasks.

If you prefer not to do that, I have an OWC Mercury Elite Pro external case (w/ power supply) that has the following ports: 1 FW400, 2 FW800, 1 eSata, and a mini USB2 port. Yours for the asking, as I don't need it. PM me with instructions if you want it.

goodmanx
i'm thinking about getting an ssd to run externally in a 2008 imac (8,1); i don't want to go through the expense or hassle of installing the drive internally.

the imac has usb 2 and fire wire 400 and 800 ports. is ssd through usb 2 worth it or would the machine feel about the same or faster with a regular hard drive running through a firewire 800 port?

joie noel, y'all!

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Date: December 25, 2015 07:56AM
Black
sekker
In for two. Link?

Apologies - the older link from Amazon has expired. FW800 is a very niche product line these days. I did see one external 3.5" case listed for $25 on eBay.

If you need two, I'd just do regular searches until you find them available b
Date: December 25, 2015 12:28PM
sekker
Black
sekker
In for two. Link?

Apologies - the older link from Amazon has expired. FW800 is a very niche product line these days. I did see one external 3.5" case listed for $25 on eBay.

Have searched plenty and as I said above, it's near impossible to find a case like the OP is looking for for under $60.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 25, 2015 01:19PM
I'm running a 2006 iMac on an external OWC FW800 case with an OWC SSD. Better overall experience than the internal drive (when it was working).
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 25, 2015 06:08PM
modelamac
goodmanx,

I have a 2007 iMac 7,1 (6GB RAM) that I tore apart and installed a 500 GB SSD in. The installation is easy and the results are really great. I used OWC's video to do it. I must encourage you to do it rather than use an external drive. I am running both 10.10.5 and 10.11.2 on it, and the SSD has given the iMac a new lease on life. It does a great job on all but the heaviest tasks.

If you prefer not to do that, I have an OWC Mercury Elite Pro external case (w/ power supply) that has the following ports: 1 FW400, 2 FW800, 1 eSata, and a mini USB2 port. Yours for the asking, as I don't need it. PM me with instructions if you want it.

goodmanx

joie noel, y'all!

This ^

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 25, 2015 10:18PM
Black
sekker
Black
sekker
In for two. Link?

Have searched plenty and as I said above, it's near impossible to find a case like the OP is looking for for under $60.

PM sent with a couple options for Black.

OP - the MRF option listed here is better than anything I can find on the inter webs.
Posted by: clyde
Date: January 07, 2016 11:49AM
When booting an iMac from an SSD drive in an external HD, what role does the internal HD play—if any?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018