advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What to do when you burn your throat with acid from GERD?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 27, 2015 06:46AM
I chewed two TUMS and drank some milk. It's gradually getting better but it feels like I might vomit. I take Prilosec and have the head of my bed raised. I also gargled baking soda in water. I over did the snacking yesterday. Is there anything else to help the burning so I can hopefully get back to sleep?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What to do when you burn your throat with acid from GERD?
Posted by: DP
Date: December 27, 2015 06:52AM
The two Tums should have handled it. Sounds like your GERD is way off the charts, tho, if it's still that bad after all you do for it. What's the doctor say about it? And what the heck are you eating? Are you stuffing yourself before bedtime?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: December 27, 2015 07:02AM
I ate a few Fritos before bed and quite a bit of junk at a party Saturday afternoon. I usually don't overdo it on food but I did yesterday.
Date: December 27, 2015 07:31AM
Any alcohol before bed? Sorry D, but it may be time for some serious lifestyle changes. I've had to watch what I consume later in the day to prevent being awakened at 2AM. And eating a lot of antacids may lead to other issues like kidney stones.
I know, it's no fun not being able to party like we used to! I'm feeling it...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Date: December 27, 2015 07:40AM
No alcohol.
Date: December 27, 2015 08:17AM
OK, good. Your situation sounds a lot worse than "normal" GERD. Been to the doc lately? Do you have a hiatal hernia by some chance?

Posted by: fromish
Date: December 27, 2015 09:05AM
Once your throad is on fire you can use DGL, Slippery Elm, and non peppermint gum. Avoid anything with acid for a few days, like orange juice or tomatoes as the pepsin from the stomach acid that came up into your esophagus stays in the tissue for a while and is reactivated by acid.
OTC remedies that work:
-> DGL heals the throad and esophgus-Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice- a licorice extract that avoids the hazardous compounds in licorice.
-> Peelu gum stimulates saliva which is alkaline and counteracts the acidic residue in the throat
-> Prelief™ is an over the counter before meal medication to lower stomach acidity without the dangers of PPI or H2 inhibitors
-> PepZinGl is another over the counter remedy used, by prescription, in Japan for acid reflux
-> SlipperElm (Thayers is a good brand) is still another over the counter remedy, in this case a tissue soothing lozenge
-> Gaviscon Regular Strength tablets from Canada after a meal floats a 'mat' of foam over the stomach contents preventing reflux. It is very effective, but the mat dissipates if you drink or eat anything after taking the pills. The American formulation of Gaviscon has aluminum which causes a huge number of problems and interactions. You get the aluminum-free Gaviscon from  Canadadrugs.com within a week. It's very effective but about about $23 for 100 tablets which you chew two at a time. 

-> Limit consumption of fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, coffee, tea, colas and alcohol - all of which relax the lower esophageal sphincter - and tomatoes and citrus fruits or juices, which contribute additional acid that can irritate the esophagus.
-> Consider 6 mg melatonin nightly which solid research has shown reduces reflux significantly.

There are basically three ways that foods can worsen gastroesophageal reflux disease. 
Caffeine and alcohol can stimulate acid secretion. If there is more acid produced by the stomach, there is a greater chance of acid refluxing into the esophagus. 
Fatty foods tend to slow down contractions of the stomach. This also leads to acid being present in the stomach for a longer period of time, making it more likely to reflux into the esophagus. 
Finally, caffeine, chocolate and peppermints lower the pressure of the sphincter between the esophagus and stomach, allowing acid from the stomach to more readily reflux into the esophagus. A lot of patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease will be able to avoid medications if they stay away from the foods that tend to increase acid production and promote reflux.

Keep a food/drink journal. You will find that overeating stretches the stomach and makes acid backwash into your esophagus much more likely. Also, some foods will cause you immediate reflux, others will build up over time. The journal and its data are your friends...
Posted by: Black
Date: December 27, 2015 09:53AM
I have suffered from heartburn pretty much my whole life-- I question the knowledge of anyone who says "two tums should take care of it." I am not sure why you chose milk-- I'd go with water. Back off the tums as much as you can otherwise you'll win the prize for starting the most kidney stone threads. Water, upright trunk position, wait it out, that's the best you can do.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 27, 2015 09:56AM
As others said, have your GERD checked out by your primary-care or GI doctor. A barium swallow and x-ray will determine if you have an hiatus hernia (I do). It's important to get reflux under control, as it can lead to esophageal scarring.

My problems are now controlled with one OTC Omeprazole 20mg in the morning (same as Prilosec). Stronger versions are available by prescription. I can generally get away with beer and junk food, in moderation.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 09:59AM by mrlynn.
Date: December 27, 2015 09:59AM
MD-- "looks like you overdid it on the greasy and sugary foods this time."
Patient- yes, I think I said so in my initial post.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 27, 2015 12:45PM
I only get heartburn when I really overdo carbs (hot spices will trigger it faster) for more than one day. Trader Joe's Jalapeno Cheese Crunchies got me overnight two days ago (I put extra cayenne powder on them). The GERD didn't happen until I finished off the bag on the second day. I slowly chew/suck on generic Tums until my throat feels better, then drink a big glass of water. I only get reflux when I am laying on my stomach or right side.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 12:46PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 27, 2015 01:28PM
Liquid Maalox may help coat your throat and ease the burning. A Gavescaon type OTC med that forms an alkaline foam, may reduce / help prevent acid reflux. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 27, 2015 03:16PM
I usually get it from eating greasy/spicy foods. Waking up to a burning throat closed and gasping for air really sucks. Doesn't happen that often, but when it does, I usually stumble to the medicine cabinet, chew a couple of antacids drink some water and go back to sleep.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 27, 2015 03:41PM
....as long as you don't have to 'GERD'.......your loins.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 27, 2015 04:47PM
I question the knowledge of anyone who says "two tums should take care of it." I am not sure why you chose milk-- I'd go with water.

If it's a simple case of heartburn, it should. He obviously has a far worse situation. And water does nothing except to splash it around a bit. Milk has a similar coating effect like Maalox. I have also had a hiatal hernia for years and milk helps a lot-far better than water. But that's just my knowledge...

Posted by: fauch
Date: December 27, 2015 05:22PM
Once it actually comes up I have not found any effective solution except to wait until it dissipates...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 27, 2015 06:48PM
Gaviscon. The only solution for what you're have right now.

Signed, Voice of experience.
Posted by: stephen
Date: December 27, 2015 06:50PM
Doctors are taking GERD more seriously then they used to, because they've discovered it can lead to precancerous cells of the esophagus.

Pepcid Complete would be a good next step after TUMS.

Definitely see a doctor and if severe he/she might even recommend ablation to remove damaged cells. They're doing that at some university hospitals now as a preventative measure.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: December 27, 2015 08:45PM
i follow archie bunker's method and drink the baking soda solution instead of gargling with it. usually works wonders for me. not too often, though, as i understand that the aluminum in it can be bad for you.

never heard of the gargle cure.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 27, 2015 08:51PM
Try to sleep in as much of a sitting position as you can manage. Prop yourself up as much as possible. That will keep the acid from coming back up on you. Don't eat anything two hours or less before sleep. Apparently us older folks are prone to it if we are over weight and eat before going to bed.

JoeM
Date: December 27, 2015 11:00PM
DP
And water does nothing except to splash it around a bit. Milk has a similar coating effect like Maalox.
If the contents of your stomach are too acidic, it's not rocket science that diluting the acidity is a step you want to take. Milk contains fat and sugars and gets your digestive enzymes going-- for me it's a guaranteed net minus in Dennis' situation.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 27, 2015 11:30PM
goodmanx
i follow archie bunker's method and drink the baking soda solution instead of gargling with it.

This is what my dad used to do. I stirred many a cup of baking soda solution in my youth.

It is what it is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 28, 2015 03:12AM
N-OS X-tasy!
goodmanx
i follow archie bunker's method and drink the baking soda solution instead of gargling with it.

This is what my dad used to do. I stirred many a cup of baking soda solution in my youth.

It works. A bicarb...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 28, 2015 07:53AM
vision63
N-OS X-tasy!
goodmanx

It works. A bicarb...

More specifically, a basic solution to neutralize the stomach acid.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 28, 2015 08:48AM
More specifically, a basic solution to neutralize the stomach acid.

Yes, but I always remember even Alka Seltzer being referred to as a bicarb, bicarb being the Kleenex of digestion relief.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018