advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $98.38 ( -0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not enough inputs on TV - what should I get?
Posted by: timg
Date: November 07, 2006 04:37PM
Ok, with the proliferation of video equipment in our house, we've run out of inputs on the TV.

The TV we have is an older Sony WEGA with 3 rear panel inputs (front input is useless with little kids in the house, if you know what I mean), only 1 of which is component.

Should I be looking for an A/V receiver? I'd like to use the optical audio outputs on the DVD player and eyeHome also. I know that there are some A/V receivers that will upconvert from composite/s-video to component out on the video side, will they also take optical inputs and convert to stereo that I could hook into the TV?

Any recommendations on places to get additional information?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not enough inputs on TV - what should I get?
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: November 07, 2006 04:49PM
I picked up a 10 buck remote A/V switcher from Geeks for my roomies old TV, works great, four inputs.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 07, 2006 04:58PM
I second it. Higher quality ones will have remote control as well.

But make sure that wherever you get it from you can return it. Some switches like these can cause noise in the audio or video noise in the picture from cheap components, or poorly shielded connections.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 07, 2006 05:20PM
Personally I'd dump that WEGA and get something with higher resolution and a progressive DVD player (if you don't have one). The difference in picture when viewing dvds and your eyehome (depending on which one you have) will be dramatic.

At the low end you could get an HDTV CRT (we have a Sony XBR 36"....fantastic picture but over 200 lbs, I'd like to get rid of it), or move up to a DLP or LCD or Plasma.

Above that, there are sooo many new technologies and prices are so in flux that I don't know where to send you. You pretty much have to decide screen size and acceptable bulkiness first, then carve down the technologies and brands from there. Consumer reports has an excellent TV issue and they are cheap to sign up for a short period (3 mos I think?). Also, check out here: [www.consumersearch.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: elmo3
Date: November 07, 2006 05:25PM
davester
At the low end you could get an HDTV CRT (we have a Sony XBR 36"....fantastic picture but over 200 lbs, I'd like to get rid of it), or move up to a DLP or LCD or Plasma.

You have that backwards.

The CRT is the best. You can't move up from a CRT.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: Monster
Date: November 07, 2006 05:27PM
I can't get past the "not enough inputs" in the subject line before my mind starts wandering....

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: November 07, 2006 05:29PM
Davester, don't be so quick to toss out that Sony CRT!
No LCD or Plasma will give you a picture even close to what a CRT gives you.
Until Circuit City stopped selling HD CRT's, they wouldn't display CRT's next to LCD's, or Plasmas, it really showed how bad the picture is on the new stuff.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 07, 2006 05:48PM
more than $500 on a TV is too much.

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: davester
Date: November 07, 2006 06:07PM
BigGuynRusty
Davester, don't be so quick to toss out that Sony CRT!
No LCD or Plasma will give you a picture even close to what a CRT gives you.

I only meant "low end" in regards to price (and bulkiness). The only reason I'd like to get rid of it is that it is a huge monster of a TV, taking up valuable space and impossible to move and I'd frankly like to have a little bigger screen size. It does have a fantastic picture, as I noted above. Anyway, I'm not likely to get rid of it anytime soon because I hate getting rid of things that still work fine.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 08, 2006 01:53AM
LCD and Plasma can offer higher brightness and contrast ratios than CRT, but still not as wide a color gamut or response time.

In your situation I would look for a decent A/V receiver. This will allow you many many inputs ranging from composite, s-video, component and even VGA, DVI or HDMI. The better models will upconvert all the lesser inputs to a single HD-output, in your case the component would be the output of choice. Not really needing any true-HD output you should be able to find something for under $300. Of course, if a TV upgrade is in your future be sure to consider the capabilities of the receiver you get to stave off obsolescence.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: November 08, 2006 08:16AM
Check [www.avsforum.com] There are several switches available in different price ranges. I'm sure you'll find info on one that will work for you. Plan to spend some time there - a great forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login