advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Joan Baez 75th Birthday Concert
Posted by: Black
Date: January 28, 2016 07:59AM
Last night at the Beacon in NYC. Jealous of those in attendance. Killer lineup of guests. Looking forward to the TV airing on Great Performances.

[observer.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Joan Baez 75th Birthday Concert
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 28, 2016 08:06AM
Now those were the hippie days. I do like her singing though.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 28, 2016 08:41AM
I can't believe it? takes me back.."Deportee" and you fly in the big airplane…….
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 28, 2016 09:20AM
Ah, the gorgeous girl with the long, dark hair and the heavenly voice, breathing new life into old folksongs. I was quite enamored. She was ubiquitous at small concerts in Harvard Square. I might have been the first one to put her on the radio, on a show at WHRB I produced called "Balladeers," back around 1960. At the time she had only one recording, which she shared with Bill Wood (for a time the host of the show, the 'Balladeer') and Ted Alevizos:

It has been reissued, but with only Joanie's tracks.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 28, 2016 10:19AM
I went to a Baez concert with a friend in 1971. He took his camera and walked up to the stage to take a photograph of her. She frowned at him and said No Pictures to which he held up his camera and replied No Flash. So she struck a pose and smiled for him and he took a photo. I had the print for many years but Hurricane Isabel destroyed it. sad smiley

Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 28, 2016 11:07AM
joan baez. first concert i ever attended. Carnegie Hall. front row center. took me two years to get a ticket to a concert as they were usually sold out by the time i heard about it. baez was the beacon for my life's work. really looking forward to the PBS airing of the birthday bash.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: blooz
Date: January 28, 2016 11:27AM
Oh yeah I had a crush on her.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: M>B>
Date: January 28, 2016 11:33AM
She played at my High School in 1963, having graduated from it a few years earlier. She shared the stage with beat generation poet, whose name I thought I remembered.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 28, 2016 03:29PM
mrlynn
Ah, the gorgeous girl with the long, dark hair and the heavenly voice, breathing new life into old folksongs. I was quite enamored. She was ubiquitous at small concerts in Harvard Square. I might have been the first one to put her on the radio, on a show at WHRB I produced called "Balladeers," back around 1960. At the time she had only one recording, which she shared with Bill Wood (for a time the host of the show, the 'Balladeer') and Ted Alevizos:

It has been reissued, but with only Joanie's tracks.

/Mr Lynn

that is a very cool story. where in H Sq did she play? (as in, geographic location since none of the old venues are there)
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 28, 2016 05:35PM
mrbigstuff
that is a very cool story. where in H Sq did she play? (as in, geographic location since none of the old venues are there)

As I recall, the Club 47 (47 Mount Auburn St.—there is now a plaque there; the club moved later to 47 Palmer St., and is now Club Passim) was the primary venue. I think sometimes she would head up the street a few blocks to Tula's Coffee House, a tiny place run by a woman named Tula, where The Charles River Valley Boys would hang out and jam. She also played small concerts at the Harvard Houses. I vaguely recall seeing her in the Hayes-Bickford, one of three cafeteria-style restaurants then in Harvard Square, where I used to hang out.

It's been a while. . .

[www.loveofthemusic.com]
Watch the trailer.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018