advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
lightning cable "compatible" with iphone, but does not say "certified". what say y'all?
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: February 08, 2016 09:58AM
from dealmac news:

"iTech Deals offers this 6-Foot Lightning to USB Cable 2-Pack for $9.99. Coupon code "DEALNEWS3" cuts it to $6.99. Also, free shipping applies. Deal ends February 9."

itech link

i think i recall some conversation here recently questioning itech's integrity, but i'm not sure.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: lightning cable "compatible" with iphone, but does not say "certified". what say y'all?
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 08, 2016 10:58AM
It is my recommendation to just go with this.

I have had many lightening cables fail. I thought I found a solution with the "Amazon Basics" version but even that has prematurely died.

So far I have had good luck with this and recommend it. Without sounding like a pitchman, I have several Anker products and really like them all. This cable appears to be the best made of all the ones I have tried (including the OEM Apple one)

[www.amazon.com]

JPK
Re: lightning cable "compatible" with iphone, but does not say "certified". what say y'all?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 08, 2016 11:21AM
That Anker cable isn’t a lightning cable, JPK. Maybe you meant [www.amazon.com] ?

When iOS 7 came out, suddenly a bunch of non-MFi certified cables no longer worked, so I stick with certified.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 08, 2016 11:33AM
When iOS 7 came out, suddenly a bunch of non-MFi certified cables no longer worked, so I stick with certified.

This.

So far, I haven't had any Lightning cable fail.

Where the Apple cables aren't long enough, I use Amazon Basics. On one of them the plastic around the connector broke and the cable has no strain relief, but I replaced it with heat shrink tubing.

I bought a couple of retractable cables that were MFi and they didn't work at all.

So you pays your money and takes your chances.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 08, 2016 12:14PM
I've had a few either completely fail, give me the "not compatible" error, or did the on/off dance. Considering the value of the device I'm hooking up to it, I'll stick with brands like those from our sponsor or Anker, whom I've had a good track record with.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 08, 2016 12:24PM
OWC braided cables in our house.

Did get a dead on some monoprice house branded cables, they seem fine as well.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 08, 2016 12:31PM
[support.apple.com]

I've never had issues with an "Mfi" certified cable. Others ? YMMV. And even experienced one cable that an iPhone 5c refused to talk to, and a 6s had no problems. Aargh.
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 08, 2016 01:20PM
Nice catch. My mouse was faster than my brain.

I meant this cable:

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 08, 2016 02:03PM
Anker makes good cables.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: February 08, 2016 02:10PM
thanx for your responses. i note now that the iphone 6 is not mentioned as a compatible device, so i'm gonna pass.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 08, 2016 10:13PM
I like OWC and monoprice cables.

I just had a non-MFI cable just get locked out by Apple going to iOS9.2 on my iPhone6S+. Worked fine a couple weeks ago, but not after the latest update.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 09, 2016 11:13AM
Goodman,

Gotta ask. Considering the price of certified cables is pretty reasonable, why even bother buying a non-certified model? It doesn't make sense to me. I'd just buy the certified cable and be done with it. No muss, no fuss.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018