advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to get the most value out of used College Text books
Posted by: Microman
Date: February 10, 2016 09:23AM
Last semesters books of grand daughters. Should I just sell back to the school bookstore, or is there a site, that is more profitable and reliable.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to get the most value out of used College Text books
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 10, 2016 09:33AM
half.com is where we look for used books. Got a number of textbooks and reading list books when the GF got her Masters, and one or two when my step-son started Running Start at the local Community College. Look into selling there.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 10, 2016 09:54AM
If she can find students planning to take the same class next semester, sell directly to them. She can get more than the bookstore, and they will pay less than the bookstore.

In the future, she will likely save money by renting her books through Amazon (and have no headaches with selling books)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rz
Date: February 10, 2016 10:06AM
biggest racket out there. I remember in college I took a Probability and Statistics course. A friend took it a year earlier and I could have borrowed his copy, but they said it was updated and the old one wasn't acceptable. So I had to buy a new one. I looked, and there were very few changes. When I went to sell mine back at the end of the course, I was informed there was yet another new edition, and they weren't buying back the old one. I ended up throwing the book away.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 10, 2016 10:11AM
Beyond a racket.

The same textbook in India is about 10% the cost, but because of licensing, distribution and copyright deals, bringing it into the US is smuggling. How is THAT for some shenanigans between publishers and lawmakers?

Someone buys a British copy of a Tom Clancy book at the Heathrow airport and flies it to the US, no one gives a crap.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 10, 2016 10:15AM
Depends a lot on the book and if it is in demand and a current edition. Some books hold value some don't. The main text for my photography course really holds it's value as it is used as a text by many if not most university intro photography courses. It cost's about $105 new. The bookstores will buy it back for about 25 and turn around and sell it used for 85. I tell my students to list them on Amazon or ebay for $79 and they always sell at that price.

Athens, OH
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 10, 2016 10:30AM
If a professor puts copies of a textbook on reserve at the library, you might not need to buy certain textbooks, especially if it's a book that's primarily needed for problem sets such as a math or science textbook. Just photocopy those. Other textbooks such as history books etc. probably don't change enough to justify buying the newer edition.
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 10, 2016 10:47AM
Somewhat depends on your course of study. I still have probably 20% of my textbooks (science and engineering) that I use as reference and refresher material. My son graduated in Mechanical Engineering about a year ago. He bought and kept all his ME textbooks, rented everything else. Direct sale to a fellow student, undercutting the bookstore, but getting more than the buy back price is usually the best. Often student clubs or fraternities act as an intermediary to match buyers and sellers. Of course, publishers and bookstores will use some of the tricks mentioned earlier to limit resale opportunities.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: February 10, 2016 12:56PM
A good comparison and sales tool is bookscouter.com
It works, but you don't get paid immediately—unlike the bookstore. Write down the values and compare with the school's buyback prices.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 10, 2016 01:47PM
You'll never learn Sectumsempra by buying new books.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 10, 2016 04:27PM
rent them if you can - my kid finds Amazon reasonable for those non-core course books he is not issued.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: February 10, 2016 04:28PM
Try textbooks.com--put in the ISBN and see what they offer. Compare that to the bookstore. I usually find that I get more online, and they pay for shipping.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 10, 2016 07:01PM
Racer X
Beyond a racket.

The same textbook in India is about 10% the cost, but because of licensing, distribution and copyright deals, bringing it into the US is smuggling. How is THAT for some shenanigans between publishers and lawmakers?

It's not smuggling anymore. Officially.
[arstechnica.com]

...Which is not to say that a book publisher wouldn't use a dumb local sheriff or customs official to unlawfully impound and destroy your property. Companies do that all the time and there's next to nothing you can do about it if they do that.

Posted by: Michael
Date: February 10, 2016 08:56PM
Sell them in late Dec/early Jan or Middle/late August to catch students buying books for semester-based colleges. Add mid/late Sept and mid/late March to the Jan time for colleges on quarters. When I've sold my daughter's college and law school books I've done it on Amazon on those dates. I underestimate the quality just to avoid people being more critical than am I. I undercut the lowest price by $5-10 and they virtually always sell that day. I'm willing to take less so that I can sell a half dozen books in 1 day and ship them the next day and be done with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015