advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gravity waves detected!
Posted by: beagledave
Date: February 11, 2016 10:18AM
This is a big hairy deal in astrophysics.

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.iflscience.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gravity waves detected!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 11, 2016 10:32AM
That is a weighty discovery.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 11, 2016 10:38AM
those scientists must feel quite grounded.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 11, 2016 10:41AM
A HUGE deal!

Congrats to the LIGO team, who will now get a footnote in history next to Einstein.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: February 11, 2016 10:45AM
evidence is not necessarily sufficient proof but Einstein would get a big bang out of it

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 11, 2016 11:00AM

So that's how he did it!
(Jack and Stan have all the answers.)
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 11, 2016 11:23AM
Black Holy Cow!
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 11, 2016 12:04PM
Their existence was only in question by those who have never eaten at Chipotle.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 11, 2016 12:07PM
Let me weigh on this...

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 11, 2016 12:08PM
cbelt3
That is a weighty discovery.

Bravo, sir!

It is what it is.
Date: February 11, 2016 12:23PM
Celebrate with Ripple ?

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 11, 2016 01:04PM
I had sensed a disturbance in the force...
Posted by: DP
Date: February 11, 2016 02:30PM
Hope there's no mass hysteria...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 11, 2016 03:08PM
This is a huge discovery. I watched the press conference this morning and the physicists were virtually jumping up and down with glee.

However, the problem with discoveries like this is that they don't stir the public very much because they require a good scientific education, careful thought, and some degree of sophistication to understand the ramifications. Just looking at the nonsensical arguments that get bandied about in the press regarding climate change it is obvious that a huge fraction of the public is clueless about how research science works. Sadly, for most people this is just a bunch of eggheads counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: February 11, 2016 03:30PM
A ripple in the space-time continuum? How long until the Daleks show up :-)
Date: February 11, 2016 03:31PM
Does space-time know you're rippling his continuum? That's kinda rude, you know... ;)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 11, 2016 03:59PM
LOL...
Date: February 11, 2016 04:02PM
zeppo2
A ripple in the space-time continuum? How long until the Daleks show up :-)

At first glance I read that as "A nipple in the space-time continuum?" devil smiley

It is what it is.
Date: February 11, 2016 04:02PM
davester
This is a huge discovery. I watched the press conference this morning and the physicists were virtually jumping up and down with glee.

However, the problem with discoveries like this is that they don't stir the public very much because they require a good scientific education, careful thought, and some degree of sophistication to understand the ramifications. Just looking at the nonsensical arguments that get bandied about in the press regarding climate change it is obvious that a huge fraction of the public is clueless about how research science works. Sadly, for most people this is just a bunch of eggheads counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

This.

It is what it is.
Posted by: August West
Date: February 11, 2016 04:19PM
N-OS X-tasy!
davester

This.

I somewhat disagree. I almost posted about this event earlier, to seek out the science/math minded on the forum to brush me up on the implications. The reason I somewhat disagree with davester's premise is because I believe that a lot of people do have an interest, but are much less than expert in the field. Thus, the physicist's bounce with glee, and others do not. I have no problem spending some time understanding the nature of discoveries such as this, but I certainly do not have the time to become expert in all the fields in which discoveries take place. I'm willing to bet a significant portion of the population will appreciate a simplified version of what the discovery reveals.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 11, 2016 04:30PM
Heres the problem with it.

Great that you have "discovered" it and all -- but what are the ramifications of it on society on a whole?

will it make starbucks taste better? or finally get me a flying car and a jetpack? or even a real hoverboard?

what are the "practical" uses for this discovery?

otherwise -- meh -- they would have gotten more publicity if they could build a good "bull @#$%&" detector. that we could all use. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 11, 2016 04:57PM
August West
I somewhat disagree. I almost posted about this event earlier, to seek out the science/math minded on the forum to brush me up on the implications. The reason I somewhat disagree with davester's premise is because I believe that a lot of people do have an interest, but are much less than expert in the field. Thus, the physicist's bounce with glee, and others do not. I have no problem spending some time understanding the nature of discoveries such as this, but I certainly do not have the time to become expert in all the fields in which discoveries take place. I'm willing to bet a significant portion of the population will appreciate a simplified version of what the discovery reveals.

I don't think it's so much that we disagree as much as it is that we may have different ideas as to what a "significant portion of the population" is. I wonder if there's any data out there that could help elucidate the percentage of the population that considers this kind of stuff meaningless versus the percentage that have the wherewithal and interest to grapple with the explanations.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 11, 2016 05:12PM
August West
I'm willing to bet a significant portion of the population will appreciate a simplified version of what the discovery reveals.

A significant portion of the populations are morons. Sorry, but that's the truth.

I guarantee the majority of Americans couldn't give a rat's ass about gravity waves and the absolute proof of Einstein's Theory of General Relativity.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 11, 2016 05:28PM
This finding will not affect anyone of the general public's life in the least so for most people out there it really is "just a bunch of eggheads counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin."

However that can change because the same 1915 paper by that Einstein guy made a host of other (now confirmed) predictions, including time dilation and dragging of space time which needs to be accounted for in every GPS location calculation your phone makes. Most people do not know this but if you explain it, it makes the esoteric feeling of Einstein of relativity more concrete, applicable, and useful to everyone.
Date: February 11, 2016 05:31PM
Lew Zealand
This finding will not affect anyone of the general public's life in the least

Just as E=mc^2 hasn't affected the general public's life in the least, right?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 11, 2016 06:54PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Lew Zealand

Date: February 11, 2016 07:18PM
Lew Zealand
N-OS X-tasy!
Lew Zealand

Not to mention nuclear power:

Nuclear (fission) power stations, excluding the contribution from naval nuclear fission reactors, provided 11% of the world's electricity in 2012, somewhat less than that generated by hydro-electric stations at 16%. Since electricity accounts for about 25% of humanity's energy usage...nuclear fission's contribution to the global final energy consumption is about 2.5%.
[en.wikipedia.org]

It is what it is.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: February 11, 2016 07:47PM
It is great to know that two black holes that collided 1.3 billion years ago create a gravitational wave. Old news. They could not find anything newer than that?

Ps our company supplied product to the precaster that made the half round concrete lids at Hanford

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 07:51PM by bruceko.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: February 11, 2016 08:58PM
Levity waves back!

=TC
Posted by: August West
Date: February 11, 2016 10:07PM
davester
August West

I don't think it's so much that we disagree as much as it is that we may have different ideas as to what a "significant portion of the population" is. I wonder if there's any data out there that could help elucidate the percentage of the population that considers this kind of stuff meaningless versus the percentage that have the wherewithal and interest to grapple with the explanations.

Yes, i shouldn't have used the word disagree. I just don't want to write everyone off, particularly when I know that I will wonder and think about what it means. As a measure of popular consciousness of this sort of thing, I immediately thought of Neil Degrasse Tyson's popularity, i.e., it's there but not at the top of the charts.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 11, 2016 11:37PM
This sounds very interesting. But I will give anyone a pass that says, 'I do not understand why this is a big deal.'

I have advanced science degrees, and I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 12, 2016 12:39AM
I posit that a significant portion of the Egghead Society suffers from Sheldon Cooper Complex and really isn't all that interested in dumbing it down for mere mortals, but likes saying "dumbing it down".

Nor is a significant portion of that portion even capable of breaking down complex theory or research into elemental, easier to understand concepts. No little irony, there.

Imagine all the scientists who might not have become such if somebody treated them as morons. Further, imagine how many more there might be if nobody stopped to worry about the morons and just worked at making science and research more approachable.

If we want a culture that supports science and research then someone has to work at that. It may be chicken-egg, but it has to start somewhere and not stop.

Being dismissive just gets one reaping what they sow.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
And yes...
Date: February 12, 2016 12:40AM
…I realize it's easier said than done.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 12, 2016 05:45AM
I am subtly disturbed.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 12, 2016 07:59AM
RAMd®d
I posit that a significant portion of the Egghead Society suffers from Sheldon Cooper Complex and really isn't all that interested in dumbing it down for mere mortals, but likes saying "dumbing it down".

Nor is a significant portion of that portion even capable of breaking down complex theory or research into elemental, easier to understand concepts. No little irony, there.

Imagine all the scientists who might not have become such if somebody treated them as morons. Further, imagine how many more there might be if nobody stopped to worry about the morons and just worked at making science and research more approachable.

If we want a culture that supports science and research then someone has to work at that. It may be chicken-egg, but it has to start somewhere and not stop.

Being dismissive just gets one reaping what they sow.

agree smiley
Date: February 12, 2016 08:21AM
sekker
This sounds very interesting. But I will give anyone a pass that says, 'I do not understand why this is a big deal.'

I have advanced science degrees, and I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this.

Aw come on, climb up on a Bezerkly pedestal and smugly proclaim the sea of humanity beneath you monkeybrains.

[soundcloud.com]
Date: February 12, 2016 08:45AM
space-time
I am subtly disturbed.

I see what you did there... grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 12, 2016 02:16PM
I see what you did there...

Yes, that was quite good!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 12, 2016 02:51PM
smiley-laughing001

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 13, 2016 02:40PM
Just because people don't realize they are affected doesn't mean they're not. Apparently, this is a big deal. I just wish I could understand a small fraction of it.
Date: February 13, 2016 03:04PM
That's part of what makes this discovery so big - we are, as yet, unable to fully understand all the ramifications of it.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015