Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Removing Hard Drive From An Old eMAC Computer
Posted by: rapayn1
Date: February 21, 2016 06:18PM
I've always heard that getting to the hard drive in an eMac was REALLY hard and also very dangerous because of the CRT and high voltage. How long can an eMac sit unused before it is deemed safe and any threat of shock has been discharged long ago? If the eMac has been sitting unused and unplugged for 5 or 6 years, can one safely open it up and yank out the internal drive before turning the computer into a recycling center or chucking it into a landfill?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Removing Hard Drive From An Old eMAC Computer
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 21, 2016 06:46PM
Yes, it should be safe after that many years. But just to be safe, grab a set of jumper cables and ground the tube and frame.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 21, 2016 07:02PM
The article might help

[lowendmac.com]

So, here’s a perfectly rational, safe policy: If you don’t have to work on the high voltage supply, keep your cotton pickin’ mitts off of the high voltage circuitry. All the components there are incredibly well insulated by design. And again, always work with the AC power disconnected (not just switched off – pull out the cord). If you want to minimize the chance of getting an unpleasant jolt, just let the thing sit overnight. If you follow these rules, you can safely work on your Mac without fear.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 07:04PM by rgG.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 21, 2016 07:17PM
Dont chuck it onto a landfill... although even our landfill has an ewaste section...

are you concrened about someone getting the data off the drive? or are you trying to get data off the drive?

either scenario seems highly unlikely.

If you can see the drive, just get a drill and put a hole in it. or hammer and screwdriver and hole.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: February 21, 2016 08:12PM
You can find a service manual here:

http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/emac/
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 21, 2016 11:25PM
I hadn't heard that overnight was adequate. I would have guessed that it would take a few days.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ADent
Date: February 21, 2016 11:59PM
I changed the drive out years ago in my eMac. It isn't that hard, though I wouldn't want to do it again. It would be a easier if I didn't have to put it back together.
Date: February 22, 2016 12:15AM
Speedy,

Thanks.
Date: February 22, 2016 12:17AM
rgG,

Thanks for the article. It made me feel safer about doing the hard drive removal and then it didn't. :-) Hmmm. What to do what to do? Decisions decisions.
Date: February 22, 2016 12:25AM
jdc,

Thanks. Yes, I am concerned (always have been) about someone getting data off of the drive. This is the first Apple computer I have owned that was this hard to get to the hard drive. Even if it was hard to get to, there was not this big CRT monitor. I suppose I could trust a secure wipe where I let it write ones and zeros randomly all over the drive about 7 or 8 times, but I'd rather just have the drive out of the machine and then wipe it and/or drill through it. I have never donated a computer or dropped it off at a recycling center with a hard drive inside. Not sure why you think someone getting data off of a drive is highly unlikely. It is not 100% certain that someone will/would get data off of the drive, but it is also not 100% certain that they will not. Any drive I have that contains tax information (been doing my taxes on Macs going back to probably 1990. Back when ChipSoft was selling MacinTax. :-) Personal E-mail might be lingering there. Family photos, Whatever... just stuff that I would not want in the hands of other people. I'm also that person that shreds everything at home. Sensitive stuff as well as junk mail that is not sensitive at all. Cross-cut micro shredders are your friend. Been shredding since also around 1990. They have come a long way over the years too.
Date: February 22, 2016 12:28AM
DewGuy,

Thanks. This eMac is too heavy to lug to an Apple Store Genius Bar and I bet they would want me to leave it with them (defeats the purpose of being concerned with data on the drive if I am leaving it with them overnight). So, having a service manual is great. In a perfect world, they would let me stand there and watch as they remove the drive and hand it over to me on the spot. But that is not likely to happen. Thank you for the link.
Date: February 22, 2016 12:29AM
Filliam H. Muffman,

Well, hopefully a few years is definitely safe then.
Date: February 22, 2016 12:31AM
ADent,

Yeah, I am not concerned about damaging the computer (other than fear of shock, electrocution, or poisonous gases escaping and killing me from the bad chemicals inside of the CRT). It is not my intention to ever use it again. I just want to remove the hard drive. If everything gets broken along the way as I dig deep inside to extract the drive, that is fine with me. Clips can snap and wires can be cut. So, nothing has to fit back together again.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 22, 2016 01:24AM
If I have enough knowledge to get data off a drive -- then Im gonna know whats possible or whats a waste of time. A computer thats got a CRT = ancient = PATA drive = old outdated crap = highly unlikely.

fwiw ewaste companies are no joke. We did an ewaste fundraiser for my kids school. No one was allowed to keep anything from the drop off. Even tho there were some unused printers. Didnt matter. Their dumpster was lidded and locked with 4 locks when it left. The guy that picked it up didnt have the keys, only the facility. He said the place is monitored 24/7 and he had to pass a background check. Straight from the dumpster to the shredder. (hey your favorite!) everything is shredded to about the size of a dime. They even have realtime destruction viewing. I said that seemed extreme. he made this motion nuts smiley

a 7-8 pass might take days. put a drill thru it, or a big screwdriver.

Maybe you could just wrap the whole thing in tin foil?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 22, 2016 08:03AM
1. Take eMac to the roof
2. Toss it off the roof
3. In the debris below, find the hard drive
4. Take hard drive to the roof
5. Toss it off the roof
6. There is no step 6

(kidding, of course)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 22, 2016 08:09AM
"I suppose I could trust a secure wipe where I let it write ones and zeros randomly all over the drive about 7 or 8 times"

just do that over a weekend - no need for physical destruction.

frankly, even writing zeros one time is sufficient, but all the above takes is more time.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: February 22, 2016 11:28AM
non-responsive, but i once stupidly paid a guy about $150 to put a 300gb hard drive into one of those things. he coulda told me to buy a $75 external case. i shoulda known, anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015