advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"US: Computer breach bigger than first thought; 700K victims"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 26, 2016 09:42PM
Sometimes, it's not so swell to live in 'The Information Age'.

[hosted.ap.org]
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The IRS said Friday that the number of taxpayers whose tax information may have been stolen by computer hackers now exceeds 700,000 - more than double the agency's previous estimate.

The tax collecting agency said 390,000 more taxpayer accounts may have compromised than the 334,000 it warned about a year and a half ago. The breach was first discovered in May 2015, and the increase first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

The sensitive information can be used for identity theft or to claim fraudulent tax refunds.

The thieves accessed a system called "Get Transcript," where taxpayers can get tax returns and other filings from previous years. In order to access the information, the thieves cleared a security screen that required knowledge about the taxpayer.

The IRS says it is immediately moving to notify taxpayers, offering identity theft protection services and giving them access to a program that assigns them special ID numbers that they must use to file their tax returns.

"The IRS is committed to protecting taxpayers on multiple fronts against tax-related identity theft," said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. "We are moving quickly to help these taxpayers."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "US: Computer breach bigger than first thought; 700K victims"
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 26, 2016 09:46PM
If it took them that long to figure out what the breach entailed then their window of "acting quickly" closed a long time ago. This is exactly why the government shouldn't be trusted with any information or tools that allow them access to citizens private data. Time and time again they have shown themselves unable to protect that data from misuse.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 26, 2016 10:18PM
C(-)ris
If it took them that long to figure out what the breach entailed then their window of "acting quickly" closed a long time ago. This is exactly why the government shouldn't be trusted with any information or tools that allow them access to citizens private data. Time and time again they have shown themselves unable to protect that data from misuse.

agree smiley
Posted by: Black
Date: February 26, 2016 10:32PM
Has anyone here filed and found that someone else already did in their name?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 26, 2016 10:43PM
I know someone at work that had it happen to them. The newspaper said it has happened to a lot of people...now a lot of people is relative. 10k people out of the entire US is a small percentage, but still a lot of money at $5k a pop.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 26, 2016 10:54PM
How does the IRS deal with giving someone else money? If you can prove you are you, can't you file your YOUR REAL tax return?

Or does the IRS make you prove it wasn't you the first time?
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 26, 2016 11:02PM
First person to file with an SSN and a name gets the money.
Second person has to file paperwork and wait for the IRS to sort it out. It can take weeks, and in the meantime the refund is tied up.

You can prevent some trouble by filing as soon as you can, but that's not always practical.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 26, 2016 11:06PM
C(-)ris
I know someone at work that had it happen to them. The newspaper said it has happened to a lot of people...now a lot of people is relative. 10k people out of the entire US is a small percentage, but still a lot of money at $5k a pop.
I agree that this does not sound like something you would want to have happen to you. But where does the $5k figure come from?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: February 27, 2016 04:13AM
inept and corrupt

this is what happens when your prime directive is erasing emails and investigating specific non-profits

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 27, 2016 06:06AM
My tax-attorney daughter is very aware of this and files very quickly each year. She keeps telling me I should do the same but I have to wait for a Schedule K-1 from CA that always comes to the house in late March. She tells me I can file ballparking the information and then filing a corrected return but it seems to me that simply having my credit files frozen very nicely accommodates all the various data breeches that I might have been subjected to over the years.
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: February 27, 2016 07:27AM
In December 2015 I received a check for $8600+ as a tax return when normally we have to pay. We also received notice that the other portion of the refund which the scammer had direct deposited to some bank account also did not go through.

When accountant e filed our return it did not go work as someone had already filed for us as us. We had to paper file with an affidavit stating we were us and not anyone else. Now we receive a mailed pin to identify us as us to IRS.

I had a Marvin Teeler call me from IRS investigating fraud who I would not talk to and then he sent me letters from IRS that seemed to be from IRS regarding matter. When I called the IRS office referenced in the letters no one could verify that such a person worked there.

I was willing to work with IRS to help catch @#$%& but could never reach anyone that I could verify was who they said they were that seemed interested in stinging the perps.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 27, 2016 07:54AM
nwyaker
C(-)ris

agree smiley

agree smiley

I'm ready for a serious tax change for USA. I've researched what they call the FairTax, and it seems to me like it'd work. Might need a bit o' tweaking, but wow, look at our IRS mess we've had to endure for years! We don't need nary stinking IRS. Oh me, now the rascals will find this post and audit me...

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 27, 2016 07:55AM
Black

Yep. Happened to my parents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 07:55AM by SteveO.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 27, 2016 09:17AM
Racer X
How does the IRS deal with giving someone else money? If you can prove you are you, can't you file your YOUR REAL tax return?

Or does the IRS make you prove it wasn't you the first time?

I feel secure in suspecting the IRS considers you guilty from the jump, and convincing them otherwise is entirely your responsibility.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 27, 2016 04:58PM
But, hey, the FBI will definitely keep GovtOS away from the bad guys.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 28, 2016 12:18PM
Black

I haven't, but my ex-MIL did.

EDIT: Actually, the offender filed in his name using her SSN.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 12:25PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018