advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Coffee maker recs?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 02, 2016 01:12PM
Looking to replace my single serve Nespresso for a non-capsule/pod maker.

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, so a single serve was ideal, but I'd like something now that can also be used for multiple cups when we have company. But, being able to make only a single cup is a must.

Not interested in a French press, AeroPress, etc. for the time being.

This one is highly recommended by the Sweethome:

[thesweethome.com]

Although the specs say minimum 2 cups, people over at Amazon say that it can make a single cup.

Thanks.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Coffee maker recs?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 02, 2016 01:16PM
Good luck.

Coffee threads never get any replies.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 02, 2016 01:24PM
My wife was recently in the market for a new coffee maker. I listed my requirements in a post at the coffee forum at [www.reddit.com] and got lots of good responses. In the end a new Keurig fit my wife's needs but everyone has their own set of requirements. One thing I do like about her new Keurig is it can brew a single cup or they have special pods for brewing into a carafe which we will use at family events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 01:32PM by davemchine.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 02, 2016 01:27PM
Pinkoos,

I have the Bonavita with the glass carafe. Bought it in 2014. I bring single cups without a problem. Just adjust the amount of water and coffee grinds accordingly. Here's my amazon review:

[www.amazon.com]

I use it daily for coffee. I use it to make hot water for tea, soup and cocoa. Love it as much now as I did when I bought it.

FWIW, I haven't experienced the issues detailed in Sweethome. The carafe of the Bonavita is neither clunky nor drippy. The open cone filter isn't messy either. The fact the Bonavita doesn't offer the "pause to pour a cup" feature isn't a negative. It's a positive. That feature always caused issues in other coffeemakers and the Bonavita brews joe fast enough that you don't need it.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 01:32PM by Robert M.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 02, 2016 01:36PM
I've always liked little Melitta #2 filter coffee makers. But yes, like others we switched to a Keurig, and I use a Melitta filter gizmo in that to reduce costs and solid waste. Really it depends on what kind of coffee drinker you are, and how you like yours. My tastes are entirely pedestrian.
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 02, 2016 01:42PM
Robert M
Bonavita with the glass carafe.

Yes, the Bonavita with the glass carafe (and hot-plate) is the one you want.
FYI: Their 8-cups translates to 4 full American sized mugs. Don't bother with the generic re-usable goldtone filters. Just get a 100pack of #4 filters for $3.

No drip. No nonsense. Easy to clean. It has one toggle button — On and Off. Done. coffee smiley
Posted by: billb
Date: March 02, 2016 01:47PM
Lux Interior
Good luck.

Coffee threads never get any replies.
especially helpful ones.

Had two keuregs fail ( not clogged ) went back to single serve melitta ready-set-joe single cup coffee brewing system and also have a 4 cup cheap cuisinart American style coffee maker - it's red so probably came from Target -$19.99.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: March 02, 2016 01:48PM
3d,

They base measurements on 5 oz cups of coffee. I laugh at that! My favorite coffee mug handles 2-3/4 of their "cups" of brew.

Robert
Date: March 02, 2016 01:55PM
Robert M
3d,

They base measurements on 5 oz cups of coffee. I laugh at that! My favorite coffee mug handles 2-3/4 of their "cups" of brew.

Robert

5oz cups are the ones proper ladies use to sip tea with their pinky sticking out. When my wife and I got married we registered at Macys for some basic place settings. The plates and bowls get tons of usage. The 5oz cups on the other hand are gathering dust on the highest most inaccessible kitchen cabinet shelf.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 02, 2016 01:55PM
davemchine
In the end a new Keurig fit my wife's needs but everyone has their own set of requirements.

But you are ruining the envirnment! RollingEyesSmiley5

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 02, 2016 02:05PM
3d,

I wanted to store'im in a sealed box on a high shelf in the back of my warehouse. The "look" from my wife was all that was necessary to make me decide to keep them in the apartment. And, like you, they're on the highest most inaccessible shelf in the kitchen. At least the last time I looked them. That was just over three years ago, when we moved into our current apartment.

Robert
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 02, 2016 02:19PM
just wanted to throw this into the mix. i've used one daily for the past year now.

Hamilton Beach 49983 2-Way FlexBrew Coffeemaker

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 02, 2016 02:21PM
Hi everyone,

It appears my comments about the Bonavita portion of the Sweethome article may be incorrect. They discussed the thermal carafe version. I have the glass carafe model. This could explain the comments about the annoying carafe. And, they pointed out the Oxo drips when you use its pause and serve feature. Surprise, surprise.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 02:21PM by Robert M.
Date: March 02, 2016 02:22PM
graylocks, that one looks very interesting.
Date: March 02, 2016 02:26PM
pinkoos

it really has struck the right balance for me. if i'm going to be home i make a pot. if i need to leave the house quickly i pop in a k cup. i'd buy another like it in a heartbeat if/when this one dies. i've yet to take the trouble to use the reusable single brew cup device that comes with it. (5 oz cups, btw.)

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 02:28PM by graylocks.
Date: March 02, 2016 02:31PM
graylocks
pinkoos

it really has struck the right balance for me. if i'm going to be home i make a pot. if i need to leave the house quickly i pop in a k cup. i'd buy another like it in a heartbeat if/when this one dies. i've yet to take the trouble to use the reusable single brew cup device that comes with it. (5 oz cups, btw.)

So, for single serve it looks like one can use either a k-cup or ground coffee? At least that is what it looks like based on the pictures.
Date: March 02, 2016 02:45PM
yes, there's a k cup attachment and a bring your own grind single serve attachment.

Posted by: JEBB
Date: March 02, 2016 04:09PM
You can't beat a Mr. Coffee for making a good cup of coffee. We have a 12 cup and a 4 cup model. The latter we take when we travel or when we have a guest that like a particular coffee. Making coffee is a simple process anything more complicated is unnecessary. The real choice is the coffee you use.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 02, 2016 04:43PM
We had a Krups KM6118 with a dual timer. Really love that dual timer. It has a "shower-head" spray which get ALL the coffee grounds wet. Makes a great cup of coffe. Beat the heck out it and it really looks like cr@p now. Got a replacement (same model) and that lasted a littel over a year before it started making coffe as soon as you plug it in. Sent it back to Krups to fix. Krups discontinued my model and sent me a replacement model that's not as good and only has one timer.

There seems to be alot of people that love this coffee maker because a $69 coffee maker now goes for $160-$225 on Amaozn and eBay.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 02, 2016 05:22PM
Zojirushi EC-BD15 w/ s-s thermal carafe. It replaced by Bunn Phase Brew and I've been very happy with it using a 'gold' permanent filter.
I believe space-time and a few other MRFer's have it too.

They occasionally show up in Amz Warehouse with "damaged box" issues for <$70.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 06:54PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 02, 2016 06:01PM
I was recently tempted by this one (similar to the one graylocks linked, but cheaper), but ultimately decided to just stick with our Keurig until it dies, now that I found some half-decent and cheap k-cup coffee.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 02, 2016 08:46PM
5oz is a cup? WTF? That won't make America great! No less than than 12oz, unless the coffee is mediocre, then 6oz and steamed or frothed milk to make up for the disappointment.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 02, 2016 09:56PM
pinkoos

Sort of on Graylock's rec I tried one of these, and now I use one at home and one at work (using the basket at home and the K-cup insert at work):
[www.amazon.com]

I have a sealed/boxed maker:
[www.amazon.com]

Ordered two by mistake. I used its sister as a single serve mostly but it hasn't been used since the Hamilton Beach came into my life. You're welcome to the new one.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 03, 2016 01:21AM
Robert M
3d,

Robert

My mug is 1 liter, I kid you not.

Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 03, 2016 08:52AM
You can have my Technivorm Moccamaster when you rip it out of my cold dead hands. I have the glass carafe model and love it.
Date: March 03, 2016 09:00AM
wurm
I was recently tempted by this one (similar to the one graylocks linked, but cheaper), but ultimately decided to just stick with our Keurig until it dies, now that I found some half-decent and cheap k-cup coffee.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to throw out a working k-cup machine to "save" the environment. It's quite the dilemma. Even if you give it away or donate it. Someone else will be purchasing and using K-cups on your conscience. If you have one, use it til it dies coffee smiley
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 03, 2016 09:47AM
See what I mean?

Crickets!

I think the Nespresso is still fine for serving more than one person. It only takes a few minutes. The main issue for me (I have one) is that most people don't want the smaller, stronger cup that a Nespresso makes (talking about a long and not an espresso/ristretto).

The newer Virtuoline (sp?) makes a bigger (more American) cup.
Date: March 03, 2016 09:51AM
I have the Vertuoline and am looking for a change now. I find it quite bitter and don't really see the benefit of the layer of "crema" on the top of regular coffee. I understand it for espresso, but I don't think there's a place for it on the top of coffee...just adds to the already bitter baseline taste of the Nespresso.

Lux Interior
See what I mean?

Crickets!

I think the Nespresso is still fine for serving more than one person. It only takes a few minutes. The main issue for me (I have one) is that most people don't want the smaller, stronger cup that a Nespresso makes (talking about a long and not an espresso/ristretto).

The newer Virtuoline (sp?) makes a bigger (more American) cup.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: March 03, 2016 01:57PM
Buy a Sunbeam Hotshot water boiler/dispenser. Get a 5" strainer and cheap stack of coffee filters. Fill a your-size-cup with water and pour it into the Hotshot. While it's boiling, place the filter in the strainer which is resting over the cup, place the desired amount of fine ground coffee in the filter, then carefully pour the boiling water into the filter. When the drip is completed, squeeze the remaining water from the filter into the cup and discard the filter. Repeat process for the (rare) remaining cups to be made.

Then rinse the strainer.
Date: March 04, 2016 06:25AM
Thank you for the great replies and recs. Still trying to think this one through in my mind....
Date: March 26, 2016 12:12AM
MrNoBody
Zojirushi EC-BD15 w/ s-s thermal carafe. It replaced by Bunn Phase Brew and I've been very happy with it using a 'gold' permanet filter.
I believe space-time and a few other MRFer's have it too.

They occasionally show up in Amz Warehouse with "damaged box" issues for <$70.

Just bought this model from Fry's today for $18! (Last one, display item with all parts).

Brought it home, cleaned with vinegar/water and then water and am looking forward to trying it out Saturday morning.
Date: April 14, 2016 10:40AM
Follow up posted here:

[forums.macresource.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018