advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Crossword puzzles, plagiarism and copyright law.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: March 04, 2016 09:39PM
Interesting article.

A group of eagle-eyed puzzlers, using digital tools, has uncovered a pattern of copying in the professional crossword-puzzle world that has led to accusations of plagiarism and false identity.

Since 1999, Timothy Parker, editor of one of the nation’s most widely syndicated crosswords, has edited more than 60 individual puzzles that copy elements from New York Times puzzles, often with pseudonyms for bylines, a new database has helped reveal. The puzzles in question repeated themes, answers, grids and clues from Times puzzles published years earlier. Hundreds more of the puzzles edited by Parker are nearly verbatim copies of previous puzzles that Parker also edited. Most of those have been republished under fake author names.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Crossword puzzles, plagiarism and copyright law.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 04, 2016 10:31PM
The end of the world is coming.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 04, 2016 10:39PM
So yeah ... how can Parker "try to be different" without looking to see what someone else (meaning ... Shortz) has done? Overall the dude comes off a bit aloof IMO.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 04, 2016 10:59PM
I love how the guy sticks to his guns against overwhelming evidence. Got to give him credit for nerves of steel.

Posted by: zeppo2
Date: March 05, 2016 10:20AM
$tevie
I love how the guy sticks to his guns against overwhelming evidence. Got to give him credit for nerves of steel.

Any English teacher will tell you stories of students who refuse to admit they plagiarized, even when you show them the exact same paper they turned in online. I had a student once refuse to admit he'd stolen a paper that was online with a publication date from when he was about six years old. He claimed somebody (i.e. me) put it there to frame him.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 05, 2016 04:47PM
$tevie

I guess the same would go for a certain presidential candidate... or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018