advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Quitting Amazon Prime after 13 years
Posted by: Kate
Date: March 10, 2016 03:45PM
I have been a prime member for 13 years, but for the last several months, they just cannot seem to deliver on time. I called with the last order (which took 6 days) and just called again because I ordered something that was listed as prime and now it says it will get here in 5 days. I spoke with reps who were less than helpful and were more than happy to simply cancel my prime. I miss the Amazon of old.

Is this the kind of service everyone else is getting?

Kate
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Quitting Amazon Prime after 13 years
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 10, 2016 03:47PM
Last year I went through the same thing. Prime orders were taking up to five days to be delivered. Eventually things started arriving quickly again. I don't know what the hiccup was but it was temporary.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: March 10, 2016 03:49PM
In general, it's been on time or even early. That being said, some do arrive after the quoted date, not often, however.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 10, 2016 03:51PM
Prime-ish...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 10, 2016 03:53PM
Is this the kind of service everyone else is getting?

So far, Prime has been stellar, for the many years I've had it.

I thought it might get worse with Amz using local (and it's own?) delivery services, but so far... So good.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: March 10, 2016 03:54PM
Amazon Prime began in 2005. [en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 10, 2016 03:55PM
YMMV. Usually they are pretty good. I've had outliers in both directions. The Saturday and Sunday delivery is pretty nice, tho.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 10, 2016 03:59PM
Ours runs out next month. I don't think we're going to renew either. Just not ordering as much as we once did and we rarely ever use their Prime TV service.

Grateful11
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 10, 2016 04:00PM
My complaints about a late delivery have yielded the opposite response. I always get a credit or another month of Prime tacked on.

Posted by: pdq
Date: March 10, 2016 04:05PM
Heh.

The last thing I ordered from them was a LiIon battery (for a remote) that would easily fit in your palm. IIRC, it was about $5.

They sent it in a 12" x 12" x 6" box, and it arrived in two days.

If the USPS would even let me ship a LiIon battery, they would have charged me, like, $15 for a box that size and it would take at least 3 days.

I don't know how they do it.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: March 10, 2016 04:21PM
pdq

I don't know how they do it.

They make it up in volume.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: March 10, 2016 04:30PM
About a year ago there were a few months here were things were taking several extra days to deliver then it was fixed and has been good since. We live in BFE and order a LOT through Amazon and watch prime video quite often.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 10, 2016 04:31PM
The biggest problem I have with Prime is when Free Delivery is chosen, depending on the item. When it's Next Day, it's shipped via FedEx or UPS (at least that's been my experience here) and I get it the next day.

When I select 2-Day Free Shipping, it's anybody's guess when it's going to arrive, because it's usually handed off to the USPS to do the final delivery -- and they lie like bastards when they get it (my experience was that they were marking it as delivered when it made it to the local USPS office for the final-leg part of the delivery, and then it would be several days before it was actually brought to my door).

I had many, many words with Amazon about that situation when it was occurring. I contacted their customer service and cancelled, but they wooed me back with a period of free Prime and a refund on each order I complained about (one was a toner situation where I wound up having to go to Office Depot and buy the toner because I couldn't wait any longer).

TL;DR: the problem with Amazon Prime is that they're allowing their contracted delivery services to sub contract out to the USPS.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Black
Date: March 10, 2016 04:51PM
Never had prime but my most recent/current Amazon order has been a disaster in several ways. Beginning of the end maybe.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Kate
Date: March 10, 2016 05:10PM
I asked the rep hoes long I had been with Prime, and she said since 2003, but I think thats when I made my first order. I got prime as soon as it was offered, so it would have been 2005

Kate
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 10, 2016 05:17PM
I have no complaints about Prime shipping. The service from third-party sellers' shipping on Amazon's site are more of a mixed bag.
Posted by: Winston
Date: March 10, 2016 05:19PM
We share Prime among several family members, which makes it pretty reasonable per person. I'm sure among us it also makes sense economically.

Amazon just added photo backup as a Prime feature. So far I've only set up my iPhone. They have an app that does it automatically. I think on a Mac you have to move photos to Amazon manually, which is a lot less convenient.

They also a little while back finally allowed each "sub account" to do Amazon Prime video, which was not true for a long time.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 10, 2016 05:27PM
I asked the rep hoes long I had been with Prime, and she said since 2003

Glad I read it thru-I thought you were calling the reps, "hoes"!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 10, 2016 05:35PM
Kate

Never trust them rep hoes. winking smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 10, 2016 05:35PM
Hi everyone,

My issue with Amazon Prime isn't really an issue with Prime per say. It's Amazon itself and the carriers they use for delivery. Amazon can claim a delivery by X date. Once the parcel is in the hands of a carrier, then Amazon no longer can control the actual transport of the goods. That';s why goods shipped to me via USPS could take days to a week or two to arrive, even with Amazon Prime two day delivery.

Complaining to Amazon does no good whatsoever. The reps lack the authority to resolve the problem. Credits and what have you are off-set by the time and agita necessary to complain about the delivery issues. Just not worth it anymore.

Robert
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 10, 2016 05:45PM
I have wonderful service from Amazon. On the rare occasions when I complained to them (not about delivery, about other things) I have had primo customer service above and beyond what I should reasonably expect. As for deliveries, everything arrives quickly and often before it says it will. Even if delivery wasn't so great, I like Prime too much to quit it.

Posted by: rgG
Date: March 10, 2016 05:53PM
DP

I thought the same thing. Didn't sound like something Kate would say, but she was mad. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: March 10, 2016 05:55PM
Robert M
Complaining to Amazon does no good whatsoever. The reps lack the authority to resolve the problem. Credits and what have you are off-set by the time and agita necessary to complain about the delivery issues. Just not worth it anymore.

Robert

It works for me. I shoot them a quick email. Something like, "you guaranteed my delivery by May 5 and I got it May 6". It takes around 30 seconds? No agita involved. And the next day i get an email giving me a credit or extending my Prime.

Posted by: btfc
Date: March 10, 2016 06:39PM
"Prime-ish... "

Sub Prime. smiling smiley
Date: March 10, 2016 06:54PM
Bazooka,

Not worth it. I'd have to do that with nearly every other order. Trust me, with the quantity of purchases involved, it'd take far more than 30 seconds. I'd be sending them an email about a delivery issues on multiple orders every couple of days.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 06:55PM by Robert M.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 10, 2016 08:23PM
Has been less good lately for me, but nothing like you describe.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: March 10, 2016 09:37PM
I think Amazon has just about reached that point where they've reached a comfortable mass market share, and no longer have to care about what its customers think. Apple passed it a while back.

That said, Prime has been pretty good for my household. The only time I ever sweated it was when I ordered something for a trip, and it didn't arrive on time. They blamed it on a truck fire between their warehouse and the shipper's facility, but AFAIK, shippers don't maintain separate warehouses, they pull their trailers right up to Amazon's back door.

They couldn't tell me when the package would arrive, and the only thing they offered, per their policy, was a one-month extension. I told them I didn't care about that, I just wanted the package before I left town. The old Amazon would have overnighted a replacement and taken the original shipment back in return.

(Just like the cable company -- "Hey, we know we screwed up, but we won't fix it; we'll make it up to you by giving you even more of our crappy service.")

Otherwise, most stuff arrives when promised, which is probably because they've built a few local facilities in the region. Sometimes, stuff is delayed by a couple days.

The most interesting thing about ordering from them now are the logistical details -- seeing where it ships from, and who the carrier(s) is/are, and how long it takes.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 10, 2016 10:05PM
Buy now and get it TUESDAY. What part of that is TWO days?

I ordered it and then cancelled saying it would not arrive in time.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 10:08PM by Bernie.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: March 10, 2016 11:00PM
$5 credits for me on rare occasion its late ... Other niceties like completely refunding next day shipping that failed, or $20 refund on an item that was discounted after I'd purchased ... Ymmv
Date: March 10, 2016 11:12PM
I keep hearing on this forum about people not getting their package in two days but I find it hard to believe that Amazon could be doing this on a regular basis yet there is no social media outcry. This would surely be on Twitter and/or Facebook were it happening constantly. I'm still inclined to think that people believe Prime covers third party vendors and Add On items.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 11:13PM by $tevie.
Date: March 10, 2016 11:29PM
As I mentioned, we like Prime. But I won't be using their "get a $1 credit toward music (or maybe digital) purchases" for slower shipping anymore, as these credits expire. It's not the expiration per se, but having to keep track of expirations that drives me nuts. I don't want the headache of worrying about whether a dollar or two may expire, or whether it's built up to an amount that I really might want to worry about.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: March 10, 2016 11:38PM
$tevie
I keep hearing on this forum about people not getting their package in two days but I find it hard to believe that Amazon could be doing this on a regular basis yet there is no social media outcry. This would surely be on Twitter and/or Facebook were it happening constantly. I'm still inclined to think that people believe Prime covers third party vendors and Add On items.

Plenty of complaints on Amazon's own forums. Google certain carrier names and that's where you'll likely end up.

Social media outcry is for those who participate in social media, and is not necessarily the only indicator of the presence, or absence, of issues.
Posted by: dk62
Date: March 11, 2016 05:59AM
Must depend on the area of the country. I have zero complaints and recently the free two-day delivery started to also mean Sunday delivery. Very nice.
Date: March 11, 2016 06:02AM
dk62
Must depend on the area of the country. I have zero complaints and recently the free two-day delivery started to also mean Sunday delivery. Very nice.

Apparently so. I get a couple boxes a week and they're rarely late. Maybe 1% of the time.

And I'm always surprised when it says expected delivery is Sunday and it's actually delivered on Sunday.

Date: March 11, 2016 06:25AM
Bernie,

Two day shipment typically means two business days from the day of shipment, not the day you place the order.

If an order is placed on Thursday and ships Thursday, it typically will arrive on Monday. If you place an order on Thursday, it may not ship until Friday. If that happens, delivery will typically take place on Tuesday.

The actual time in transit and delivery is 100% dependent on the day of shipment and the carrier(s) involved for transportation and delivery. This is regardless of what it says on Amazon's site, something I find _very_ frustrating.

Case in point: items shipped via Fedex or UPS and Fedex or UPS only arrive as scheduled based on the day of shipment. Involve the USPS and all bets are off. Delivery is 100% unreliable and has little to do with what is said on Amazon's web site.

Robert
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 11, 2016 07:13AM
Friday, Monday, and Tuesday is Three days. Three Business days. May not renew.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 11, 2016 08:58AM
Bernie,

You're misunderstanding the way time in transit works. The day of the pickup doesn't count as part of the time in transit. An item shipped on a Friday, would follow this pattern when transported by UPS or Fedex (or most non-USPS carriers):

Friday = Day of pickup.
Saturday = Day in transit
Sunday = Day in Transit
Monday = Day in transit
Tuesday = Out for delivery

This is the normal pattern for a typical shipment done via UPS or Fedex. Even the USPS doesn't count the day of pickup as a part of the time in transit. But, the USPS has its own rules since they deliver on Saturday and sometimes Sunday. UPS and Fedex don't delivery on weekends unless you pay extra for it as a special service.

Here's the typical pattern for a Monday order with two day delivery with UPS or Fedex (or most non-USPS carriers):

Monday = Day of pickup.
Tuesday = Day in transit
Wednesday = Out for delivery

Here's the typical pattern for a Thursday order with two day delivery with UPS or Fedex (or most non-USPS carriers):

Thursday = Day of pickup.
Friday = Day in transit
Saturday = Day in transit
Sunday = Day in Transit
Monday = Out for delivery

One key part of this is to remember is the clock doesn't start ticking on the day you place the order. For time in transit, it starts once the item is in the hands of the carrier and prior to the cut-off time for pickups.

You can place an order on Monday. If the item is provided to the carrier too late for them to start moving on the day of the order, the time in transit clock won't start until the next day. Staples is a good example.

The local Staples handles UPS. We drop a package off to them if an order has to go out _after_ our driver comes for our daily pickup. The cutoff time for that branch is 4:30. If I drop a package off at 5:00, it won't actually be given to UPS until the next day.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 11:14AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: March 11, 2016 09:04AM
rgG
DP

I thought the same thing. Didn't sound like something Kate would say, but she was mad. smiling smiley

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Billybob
Date: March 11, 2016 09:10AM
I'm quite happy with Amaz Prime.

My problem is that I order far too much on Amazon. I need to enter shoppers anonymous.

I'm usually amazed at how fast shipments arrive. I estimate that 25-30% of orders arrive early, and less than 5% arrive late. I do recall one late arrival in the last six months. I complained and Amazon made it right. Oh, I requested expedited shipping so they refunded the shipping charge.

My last two orders consisted of a 25lb. kettle ball, free shipping for 27lbs., and an item I ordered today that promises to be delivered by Sunday. I'm confident that it will be here.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 11, 2016 10:19AM
I don't doubt that there are place where there are delivery problems but they tend to be isolated.

Posted by: btfc
Date: March 11, 2016 01:16PM
I just spent all morning tracking down an Amazon package that was sent to my P.O. box via Fedex rather than USPS. This happens every couple of years. Usually they ship via UPS, and the local UPS reps are really snotty about it. Local Fedex was very pleasant.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 11, 2016 03:15PM
I have not had problems with Prime (order at least once a month). An use the Amazon Prime Video service (rarely buy videos). Been a subscriber for six years.
Date: March 11, 2016 03:37PM
Winston
As I mentioned, we like Prime. But I won't be using their "get a $1 credit toward music (or maybe digital) purchases" for slower shipping anymore, as these credits expire. It's not the expiration per se, but having to keep track of expirations that drives me nuts. I don't want the headache of worrying about whether a dollar or two may expire, or whether it's built up to an amount that I really might want to worry about.

I just take the credits and if I use it in time, fine, and if I don't, fine. To me it's better than no credits at all.

Date: March 11, 2016 04:21PM
$tevie
Winston

I just take the credits and if I use it in time, fine, and if I don't, fine. To me it's better than no credits at all.

I wish I could get myself to look at it that way! It's easier not to worry about it at all.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: March 11, 2016 04:30PM
I live in BFE, and cringe when I see that my packages are being handed off to USPS. Delays things by days.
I have talked to Amazon customer service to see if they can indicate when this will happen,
as delivery to my PO box would be MUCH faster (goes to a different, less rural post office), they were no help.
Still easier than driving 30-45 minutes to a big box store sometimes, depends on what I am shopping for, and how quickly I need it.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: March 12, 2016 01:09PM
Another problem with late delivery is with Amazon letting resellers sell under with guise of Amazon Prime. Some of those amateur sellers are unable to guarantee the shipment in 2 days. In addition the "seller" is listed as Amazon when in reality it is Mr. Slowtoship.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018