The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[IN WALL] Wiremold - Flat-Panel TV Cord and Cable Power Kit
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 17, 2016 11:51AM
[slickdeals.net]

[www.bestbuy.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 11:51AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [IN WALL] Wiremold - Flat-Panel TV Cord and Cable Power Kit
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 17, 2016 12:19PM
Typically, in household walls, there will be a cross 2x4 approximately 48 inches from the floor (halfway up the wall between the studs); considered a fire-break. As long as you're on one side or the other, this solution will work -- it's not easy trying to drill through that cross piece without affecting the wall surface...

The cross piece is also typically used for nailing/screwing the drywall edge to as drywall is typically installed perpendicular to the stud direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 12:20PM by MikeF.
Posted by: jardster
Date: March 17, 2016 01:20PM
I've used something very similar to that and it worked very well for hanging a TV in our exercise room. With no wires hanging down the wall.... my wife was pleased.

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 17, 2016 01:56PM
Same here. I think I got a monoprice version. Worked great.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 17, 2016 02:05PM
Luckily our TV backs to my bedroom closet. I put my AV receiver, cable receiver, WDTV, etc in there. Then I just went straight through the wall and plugged everything in there. A Logitech Harmony RF remote runs everything and nothing shows.

I also used Onsia panel speakers for the front speakers, so those are hidden as well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 17, 2016 03:06PM
MikeF
Typically, in household walls, there will be a cross 2x4 approximately 48 inches from the floor (halfway up the wall between the studs); considered a fire-break. As long as you're on one side or the other, this solution will work -- it's not easy trying to drill through that cross piece without affecting the wall surface...

The cross piece is also typically used for nailing/screwing the drywall edge to as drywall is typically installed perpendicular to the stud direction.

I've been inside a lot of walls.. and have never seen that once. Maybe that's a local code thing? Sure isn't used here.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 17, 2016 04:46PM
Paul F.
MikeF

I've been inside a lot of walls.. and have never seen that once. Maybe that's a local code thing? Sure isn't used here.

I do have those here.
Date: March 17, 2016 05:13PM
Must be an east coast thing...
Not saying it's a bad idea, just never seen 'em here. Christ, what a pain running wire must be with those in the way!

space-time
Paul F.
MikeF

I do have those here.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 17, 2016 05:23PM
They're in all the houses I've seen in Southern California.
Date: March 17, 2016 05:33PM
Never seen one in Humboldt County, Sacramento (sample size one wall), Arizona (sample size, two walls), or North Dakota (sample size, one wall).
A fire break is a reasonable idea, though, if it actually works.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 17, 2016 07:29PM
Fire stops are located to block the spread of fire between floors, so are near the floor and ceiling. The extra horizontal brace piece is not considered a fire stop, and in many codes can be framed with wood less thick than the wall studs or the codes provide for the use of clips between the separate sheets of wall board.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 17, 2016 09:21PM

the 48" height blocking is for laying 48" wide sheetrock panels horizontal rather then vertical.

Probably improved rigidity for external brownboard nailing in Socal homes where the interior walls are stucco sprayed on wire instead of sheetrock.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 09:29PM by billb.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 18, 2016 07:14AM
I don't have them in my house. Haven't actually seen them in a house in a LONG time. I've seen them in older houses.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018