advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mackeeper advertising
Posted by: pinion
Date: March 25, 2016 09:48PM
I was going for Coconut battery at, what I think is their website? [www.coconut-flavour.com]

Saw a "Download Now" button and clicked it. But it was a google ad for something that says "Personal Geek for your Mac" which took me to mackeeper which was ultimately blocked. Is there something wrong with me? Is google really serving up the mackeeper domain? Is there something I should be running to prevent malware/ransomware?

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mackeeper advertising
Posted by: Winston
Date: March 25, 2016 10:53PM
pinion
I was going for Coconut battery at, what I think is their website? [www.coconut-flavour.com]

Saw a "Download Now" button and clicked it. But it was a google ad for something that says "Personal Geek for your Mac" which took me to mackeeper which was ultimately blocked. Is there something wrong with me? Is google really serving up the mackeeper domain? Is there something I should be running to prevent malware/ransomware?

I think the paid version of Malwarebytes might do what you ask. Free version will clean up junkware, but doesn't screen for it as you web surf.
[www.malwarebytes.org]

When I clicked on an ad that went to their .com site I got an offer of $19.99 to protect one computer for one year. So I guess it's a subscription service, which makes sense since they have to keep updating their database.

Edit: Looks like the paid version only works on Windows. That's all that's shown in the system requirements:
[www.malwarebytes.org]
or on the checkout page if you click "buy".

Free Mac version that does manual scans:
[www.malwarebytes.org]
Malwarebytes Mac System Requirements
Hardware Requirements
Core 2 Duo CPU or faster
2 GB RAM
40 MB free hard disk space
800x650 minimum screen resolution
Active Internet connection for database and product updates
Software Requirements
Mac OS X 10.8 (or higher)

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 11:02PM by Winston.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 26, 2016 07:31AM
I disabled my AdBlock Plus and I do see the same ad you saw. I usually never see these since ABP does a very good job at keep crap like this out.

You should have clicked on the link below that ad. That is the real coconut download link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 03:47PM by space-time.
Date: March 26, 2016 09:03AM
Thanks. That's exactly what I saw. I did get the correct download I was just thrown off for a second. I've been playing with ad blocking at the router level. Not sure why that ad got through yet but I do know the router blocked me going to mackeepers site.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: March 26, 2016 09:38AM
pinion
... I was just thrown off for a second. ...

That's exactly how these ads operate: large Download Now buttons that are obvious in your face, while the real download link is smaller and further down the page.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 26, 2016 10:26AM
So is coconutBattery's site hosting a MacKeeper ad, or is it hosting random ads which turn out to be MacKeeper, and do they know that.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 26, 2016 10:49AM
RAMd®d
So is coconutBattery's site hosting a MacKeeper ad, or is it hosting random ads which turn out to be MacKeeper, and do they know that.

My guess is an ad network. No, I don't think sites pay any attention to the junk served by ad networks.
Date: March 26, 2016 11:39AM
At least the developer isn't bundling a dozen or so programs like MacKeeper with his own installer, as the MPlayerX developer has done, or as MacUpdate.com or download.com now do.

I hope someone sets up a voluntary association that tries to regulate this stuff. It won't stop junk sites from existing, but could probably keep things like this more under control. I'm thinking some kind of agreed whitelist for advertisers. Where you can get kicked off for running an ad like the one above. But even legitimate companies seem to get caught up in this malware stuff. Otherwise, why would there be programs that hijack your browser to Yahoo?

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: March 26, 2016 11:42AM
ps: I am using Bluhell Firewall on TenFourFox (the PowerPC version of Firefox). It blocked the ad.

Since Adblock Plus is the most common ad blocker, I wonder if someone has figured out how to subvert it, at least for now. Or it's in Adblock Plus' whitelist. Bluhell Firewall doesn't have a whitelist - it's either on or off.

Can someone try turning off ABP's whitelist and see if that blocks it?

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 11:45AM by Winston.
Date: March 26, 2016 11:55AM
silvarios
My guess is an ad network. No, I don't think sites pay any attention to the junk served by ad networks.

With ad blocker off, my old slow computer shows googleads.g.doubleclick.net involved as the page loads. The Firefox inspector shows the ad as:

< i m g class="img_ad" width="728" border="0" onload="" alt="" src="h t t p s://tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/8524715080520910328"></ i m g>

Thanks Google!

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: March 26, 2016 12:32PM
Winston
silvarios

With ad blocker off, my old slow computer shows googleads.g.doubleclick.net involved as the page loads. The Firefox inspector shows the ad as:

< i m g class="img_ad" width="728" border="0" onload="" alt="" src="h t t p s://tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/8524715080520910328"></ i m g>

Thanks Google!

Yep. That's a scammy ad and Google should have them redesign it.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 26, 2016 12:52PM
uBlock blocked it for me on Firefox
Date: March 26, 2016 01:02PM
folks:

uBlock in one browser and AdBlockPlus in the other BOTH blocked the ad.

I only saw this when I disabled those extensions.

The ad is random since I got diffeernt ads i different browsers. Clearly the site owner has no control over which ad google will place, and they're just honest people trying to make some extra cash by showing these ads, and they provide an excellent pieces for whatever donation you want to make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 03:46PM by space-time.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 26, 2016 01:36PM
Bluhell Firewall is clearly ineffective
Date: March 26, 2016 02:10PM
hal
Bluhell Firewall is clearly ineffective

Why do you say this? Bluhell Firewall blocked the ad in question for me. Had to turn Bluhell Firewall off to see it.

space-time said "I(t) disables my AdBlock Plus and I do see the same ad you saw."

Discussing "Adblock Plus" gets confusing because there are several products with similar names, including AdBlock and Adblock Plus. (note differences in capitalization)

AdBlock
[getadblock.com]

Adblock Plus
[adblockplus.org]

And there was a "Simple Adblock" for Internet Explorer that is now part of AdBlock Plus. On the app store there are a couple more with similar names: AdBlock Elite & AdBlock Master. And several ad blocking products for Macs and iOS use a similar "stop sign" like logo.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: March 26, 2016 03:44PM
Adblocking is working for me now on my router. I use Openwrt and you can use Luci to install adblock and the luck-adblock to configure through the gui. Now, as long as I'm on my home network, I don't see that ad on that site (or other sites). And when I'm away from home I'm going to VPN into my home anyway.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 27, 2016 06:56PM
pinion

I just saw that same sneaky ad on SourceForge, where I went to download the Chromium update. It would have been easy for someone to click it by accident. I reported it as objectionable, but I don't suppose that will help.
Date: March 27, 2016 07:30PM
ka jowct
pinion

I just saw that same sneaky ad on SourceForge, where I went to download the Chromium update. It would have been easy for someone to click it by accident. I reported it as objectionable, but I don't suppose that will help.

These kinds of ads aren't new. They are specifically designed to show up on download sites in order to confuse people.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 31, 2016 05:18PM
silvarios
ka jowct
pinion

These kinds of ads aren't new. They are specifically designed to show up on download sites in order to confuse people.

I'm always careful at SourceForge. The MacKeeper ad seemed sneakier than some of the others that I have seen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018