advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
problem logging mbp-rs into wifi netowrk
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: March 25, 2016 10:15PM
we're at a buddy's house and unable to log into his wifi network. both mbp-rs are 2012 or later.

one of the machines consistently gives a message, "The Wi-Fi network '***' could not be joined. Try moving closer to the wireless router. Alternatively, run Wireless Diagnostics to troubleshoot." This is a school machine for which only network administrators have the credentials, so running wireless diagnostics is not an option.

the other machine consistently gives a connection timeout message. network diagnostics does not produce helpful results on this machine, although it does create a file of diagnostic reports that i don't know how to read nor for what i should be looking.

both laptops have been placed within a foot or so of the wireless router with no different results. both machines were working fine previous to attempting to connect to this network.

an iphone 6 was able to join the same network with no problems.

i'll appreciate any assistance.

worst case scenario: we still get to see the who tomorrow night!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 10:17PM by goodmanx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: problem logging mbp-rs into wifi netowrk
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: March 25, 2016 10:59PM
note: on the machine giving the "network could not be joined" message, the wifi icon in the menu bar with the concentric arcs shows the arcs as active (inside to outside). on the other machine that icon is totally inactive.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 25, 2016 11:02PM
Reboot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Winston
Date: March 25, 2016 11:06PM
As Speedy said, or try turning AirPort off for a minute or so and then turn back on. But a reboot is more likely to help.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 26, 2016 07:22AM
Have you clicked "Advanced" (System Preferences>Network>Highlight the Airport network you want, then click Advanced)? The OS will then try to adjust the settings. Usually works for me. I'd also check the DNS settings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018