Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $156.13 ( -0.12 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[not the latest] iPhone apps
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 27, 2016 05:45PM
I'm still fairly new to the smartphone, and sometimes I hear about an app that might be handy. My niece, for instance, wants me to tweet during my forthcoming Japan trip.

So I go to get Twitter, and eventually learn that it requires iOS 8—which I can't put on my iPhone 4 (right?)

But Twitter has been around for years, so it didn't always require iOS8. Same thing for Evernote.

Why do these apps demand the newest OS, and is there some way around it? Where do you get apps that run on older OSs?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [not the latest] iPhone apps
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 27, 2016 06:01PM
Just stick wth texting and don't worry about it.

While you are at it, you might want to check international data rates for your carrier. Many travelers buy a cheap dumb phone for travel and use their smart phone on wifi only.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 06:03PM by modelamac.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 27, 2016 06:02PM
because Apple thinks everyone buys new iPhones every other year and everyone has unlimited cell data 24/7
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 27, 2016 07:34PM
And be careful about updates... I've had apps auto-update in iTunes and then not be able to install on an older phone (it erases the older version that was there). I've been surprised that there hasn't been a class action suit about users not having access to earlier versions that they bought.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: March 27, 2016 07:48PM
Ombligo
And be careful about updates... I've had apps auto-update in iTunes and then not be able to install on an older phone (it erases the older version that was there). I've been surprised that there hasn't been a class action suit about users not having access to earlier versions that they bought.

yes, I had great Apps that now have been updated at one point or another (*) and now I get ads or fewer functionality.

(*) with some iOS update, probably iOS 8 or 9, Apple decided to turn on automatic app updates by default, and found my phone updating apps (the counter that shows updates available was going down). By the time I found out, more than half of my Apps were already updated.

I really hate how Apple forces you to updated iOS (no way to go back) and even worse, same with Apps.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: March 27, 2016 09:38PM
The way Apple designs stuff has always made it work better if you completely buy into their world.

But what's changed now is that if you don't want to, it will be become more difficult, if not impossible to do things any other way.

They've been slowly chipping away at the small accommodations, and with each new software revision, removing the functionality that made it possible in the past.

Mobile Safari is not my primary iOS browser, so I don't use it often, ot take much note of how it changes.

I revamped my master set of bookmarks recently, and in so doing discovered that the ability to force upload bookmarks to iOS devices was removed from iTunes at some point.

AFICT, the only way to sync bookmarks to iOS devices now is via iCloud (as with Contacts), which would be fine, except I don't use my Mac's ID for anything except legacy dotMac mail, and the iTunes store with a secondary Apple ID.

Maintaining separate, multiple Apple IDs was never really an issue when they weren't the be all/end all of Apple connections, so I've been using a different ID for my devices, which is different from that on my Mac.

So now, if I want to keep my Safari bookmarks on my devices synced, I'll have to stay logged into iCloud with that ID on the Mac, and create a separate account in Mail.app with the original ID, and hope that that is allowed.

Given the integration between the iCloud pref panel and Mail in OS X, I'm not sure it will work.

Since Apple has tacitly acknowledged that it is not feasible to integrate Apple IDs, despite saying they'd look into it years ago, there are choices to be made.

I don't care for Safari much anyway, so it's not a big deal, but I can easily see a future where everything runs through iCloud, and Apple's servers. Given recent events, it should be interesting.

More than ever before, choose carefully when you encounter a setup screen asking for an email or account, because it's going to have far reaching implications (shackles) down the line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 09:42PM by Bimwad.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 27, 2016 10:34PM
So there's no way to get older versions of apps?
Date: March 28, 2016 02:48AM
For apps that have already been purchased in they past, they should appear in the Purchased screen of the App Store app. If an older version is still available, it can then be downloaded to the device.

I'm not sure what happens if you want to newly purchase the current version of an app that is incompatible. I don't think it will allow such a purchase, and thus lock you out of the access to whatever older versions may still be available.
Date: March 28, 2016 06:39AM
Bimwad
For apps that have already been purchased in they past, they should appear in the Purchased screen of the App Store app. [[u]i]If[/i] an older version is still available, it can then be downloaded to the device.[/u]

how exactly do you do that? Suppose facebook app is now at V9, but on his iOS he could run version 5, 6 and 7, then the App Sore will automatically give him 7, there is no way (as far as I know) for him to choose 5 or 6.
Posted by: mspace
Date: March 28, 2016 08:50AM
Here's what I did when I was running older software and knew that an app update could brick the app.

Only download the update MANUALLY from the phone. Make sure you do NOT do "update all".

Test the app on the phone.

If it works, great!

If not, delete app from the phone and reinstall from iTunes backup.

You will then have previous version that works.

You must keep track of what updates do not work, so you don't update by mistake. I never found that that difficult to do.
Date: March 28, 2016 06:32PM
space-time
how exactly do you do that? Suppose facebook app is now at V9, but on his iOS he could run version 5, 6 and 7, then the App Sore will automatically give him 7, there is no way (as far as I know) for him to choose 5 or 6.

Like I said, I'm not sure what happens if a user tries to purchase an incompatible app with an older version of iOS. I assume it wouldn't just serve up an old version, but would deny the transaction altogether.

The only way to tell is to try.

I will assume that if a user has never owned that app in the past, then they're SOL.

It's similar to the MAS, where purchase history plays a big role in what software is available for download. Users who never owned or used iPhoto will never be able to access it now, while those who did may, but only if Apple still chooses to serve it up.

These kinds of constraints are one reason never to rely entirely on cloud services.

I can still restore old apps to my iPod touch running 3.1.3, but only because I've kept copies of the .ipa files in my backup library.

...at least until Apple strips app syncing functionality from iTunes and requires the cloud as the sole conduit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015