advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone here reserve a Tesla Model 3 online yesterday?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 01, 2016 04:40PM
If so, what kind of confirmation of your reservation (if any) have you received from Tesla?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone here reserve a Tesla Model 3 online yesterday?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 01, 2016 04:52PM
Your confirmation will be the delivery notice you'll receive about two years from now.
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 01, 2016 05:02PM
Funny, was just PMing with another member about this.

No confirmation e-mail as of yet, just a pending charge on my card.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: April 01, 2016 05:06PM
i registered in person yesterday afternoon. I did not get an email confirmation yet, except the $1000 charge on my AMEX.

Edit: I just received my confirmation email, as I'm watching the Model 3 video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 05:33PM by DavidS.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 01, 2016 05:12PM
one page back: [forums.macresource.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: earache
Date: April 01, 2016 05:12PM
Didn't order online, but did it in person just after 10am PST yesterday. The confirmation email took close to 30 hours to arrive, but my credit card was charged almost immediately.

earache
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 01, 2016 05:35PM
No confirmation email here yet, either. That pending $1K charge didn't take too long, however!
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 01, 2016 09:00PM
My confirmation came through at about 5:30pm pst. Ordered last night at about 8pm
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 01, 2016 09:27PM
I really really really wanted to, been planning on it for the better part of the last two years. Unfortunately, with gas prices as low as they are I couldn't justify the price premium over a comparable gasoline powered sedan. If gas stays under $2.50 a gallon(it is $1.99 right now here), it would take over 100k miles to just break even. Would be looking to trade it in before that even happened.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 01, 2016 09:50PM
these cars aren't really about the break even cost/benefit analysis. it's more about being able to be independent of oil (qualified by what fuel source your local power plant utilizes) and independent of the quagmire of politics "over there." and the environmental benefits of everyone *not* driving their own power plant around.

you could ostensibly have a home charging station based on your roof panels or ground mounted panels. a friend does this with his Leaf. further, these cars should have far fewer maintenance needs and could be driven for less money over time and last for many years beyond even very good contemporary IC cars.

the part that makes me nervous is how far the tech will come in the intervening two years that it takes to acquire the car. and, once purchased, the tech will continually evolve, and, possibly, become less expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 09:51PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 01, 2016 10:21PM
C(-)ris
I really really really wanted to, been planning on it for the better part of the last two years. Unfortunately, with gas prices as low as they are I couldn't justify the price premium over a comparable gasoline powered sedan. If gas stays under $2.50 a gallon(it is $1.99 right now here), it would take over 100k miles to just break even. Would be looking to trade it in before that even happened.

Bear in mind that it isn't going to cost you any more than if gas prices are higher, and this could be just a temporary gas price blip. If history is any guide, the only certainty in gas prices is that they will fluctuate. In addition, is it really only about a few bucks? The long term difference in what you'd pay for gas over the car's lifetime is a pittance. Do the math. I can't see how buying a car could ever be primarily about the cost of the gas.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 10:23PM by davester.
Date: April 01, 2016 11:50PM
davester
C(-)ris

Bear in mind that it isn't going to cost you any more than if gas prices are higher, and this could be just a temporary gas price blip. If history is any guide, the only certainty in gas prices is that they will fluctuate. In addition, is it really only about a few bucks? The long term difference in what you'd pay for gas over the car's lifetime is a pittance. Do the math. I can't see how buying a car could ever be primarily about the cost of the gas.

It depends on how you view your vehicle. My goal for my commuter vehicle that racks up the miles is to minimize the amount of money to get me where I want to go while still being in relative comfort and having a reliable vehicle that is under warranty.

I'm comparing total cost of ownership over 3 years and approximately 60k miles. So for the gasoline car I am including the purchase price, all oil changes, and every cent of gas that goes into the tank to drive 60k miles. Any cars would be under warranty so no maintenance costs.

To drive 60k miles in a gasoline car that average 30mpg you will use 2000 gallons of gas. At $2 per gallon that is $4k worth of gas. At $2.50 that is $6k worth of gas. At $3 a gallon it is $6k. At $4 a gallon it is $8k.

My particular comparison was with a Audi A3 sedan, arguments over styling aside and build quality aside,the A3 is a comparable in size and luxury. The base Model 3 is $35k with no discounts possible and the average person can expect a $1000 charge to have an electrician wire their garage for charging. Electricity cost varies greatly, but I am in a cheaper area and I calculated roughly $2100 in electricity for the 60k miles. Total cost of ownership on the Model 3 would be $38k.

The base Audi A3 can be had for around $29k if you are any good at negotiating, sticker is $31k. Figure 12 oil changes at $80 each for another $1000 and $4000 worth of gas and the total cost of ownership over 3 years and 60k miles for the Audi is $34k.

For a slightly less luxurious comparison, a Chevy Malibu would be $23k, $1k for oil changes and $4000 in gas at current prices for a total of $28k. That is $10k less than the Tesla over 3 years.

For me, gas would have to go up over $4 a gallon before I would break even driving the Tesla instead of a gasoline powered car.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 11:51PM by C(-)ris.
Date: April 02, 2016 12:11AM
My confirmation email came through at 6:40pm and I ordered around 9pm yesterday.

For us it isn't about where we break even, I'd get a Mazda6 if that was the case. It's about doing something different, and paying a little more for something a little better.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 02, 2016 12:26AM
And a two year old Toyota Corolla, that would be very reliable, will cost you a lot less than those two cars. If it's only a means of conveyance, there are many ways to get from a to b.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 02, 2016 01:35AM
C(-)ris
davester
C(-)ris

It depends on how you view your vehicle. My goal for my commuter vehicle that racks up the miles is to minimize the amount of money to get me where I want to go while still being in relative comfort and having a reliable vehicle that is under warranty.

I'm comparing total cost of ownership over 3 years and approximately 60k miles. So for the gasoline car I am including the purchase price, all oil changes, and every cent of gas that goes into the tank to drive 60k miles. Any cars would be under warranty so no maintenance costs.

To drive 60k miles in a gasoline car that average 30mpg you will use 2000 gallons of gas. At $2 per gallon that is $4k worth of gas. At $2.50 that is $6k worth of gas. At $3 a gallon it is $6k. At $4 a gallon it is $8k.

My particular comparison was with a Audi A3 sedan, arguments over styling aside and build quality aside,the A3 is a comparable in size and luxury. The base Model 3 is $35k with no discounts possible and the average person can expect a $1000 charge to have an electrician wire their garage for charging. Electricity cost varies greatly, but I am in a cheaper area and I calculated roughly $2100 in electricity for the 60k miles. Total cost of ownership on the Model 3 would be $38k.

The base Audi A3 can be had for around $29k if you are any good at negotiating, sticker is $31k. Figure 12 oil changes at $80 each for another $1000 and $4000 worth of gas and the total cost of ownership over 3 years and 60k miles for the Audi is $34k.

For a slightly less luxurious comparison, a Chevy Malibu would be $23k, $1k for oil changes and $4000 in gas at current prices for a total of $28k. That is $10k less than the Tesla over 3 years.

For me, gas would have to go up over $4 a gallon before I would break even driving the Tesla instead of a gasoline powered car.

Really?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 02, 2016 05:39AM
It was mentioned that it would cost $1000 to install the electrical outlet to charge a Model 3.

It's simply a 220 outlet, and mine was done for $250 in expensive California! It's simply a 40 amp outlet just like your clothes dryer uses. Technically it was a 14-50 wall outlet.

Also, when I picked up my Tesla, they let me know, the only maintenance required is "to make sure the windshield washer fluid reservoir stays full"

13 months, 32,000 fun, fast, wonderful trouble free miles.

The hardest part to wrap your head around is never having to go wait in line at a gas station or go through that inconvenient ritual again. I simply pull up in my garage, plug it in, and I'm ready to go the next morning with 250 miles of range. This covers 99% of all my driving. The few times that I travel far from my house, it is so simple to pull up to a supercharger, and get 170 miles of range in 30 minutes. Most superchargers are near restaurants or other conveniences.

Just last Wednesday, I went skiing with four other people in my car, to Northstar, California. I could have just barely made it round trip without having to charge. Nearby in Truckee California there are two full sets of superchargers. I didn't need those. One row closer in the parking lot than the $40 preferred parking, there was a Tesla charger that is free, that allowed me to charge my car while we were skiing. It was wonderful, and both parking and charging were free. These are what is called "destination chargers" they are very very prominent and in many places. I've charged at the Ahwahnee hotel in Yosemite while sitting eating brunch or touring, Heavenly Valley has them, and they're scattered all over the place. So they supplement the supercharger network, they are also free.

Yes, even though I have a P85D Model S, I placed a reservation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 05:50AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 02, 2016 07:27AM
>>The hardest part to wrap your head around is never having to go wait in line at a gas station or go through that inconvenient ritual again.

I think thats the biggest thing that people don't appreciate about electric cars.

...then again, the way _some_ people talk about cars, pumping gas is probably a spiritual ritual that keeps them grounded.

Date: April 02, 2016 11:26AM
BTW, Mrs. Zealand and I did the numbers last night and the Model 3 will save us about $1600 over our current primary car and more than $1000 a year over a 25 MPG ICE vehicle. Assuming $0.12/KWH and $3.50/gal in gas (we're in CA). We have an unused 220V connection in the electrical box as we installed a gas dryer to replace the previous family's electric one so according to Ken's info, we'll only be out about $250 or so for that install.

Now the biggest annoyance is the wait!
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 02, 2016 11:47AM
How come nobody ever mentions the elimination of carbon emissions? This is the headline no?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 02, 2016 12:37PM
vision63
How come nobody ever mentions the elimination of carbon emissions? This is the headline no?

+1, some important benefits can't be measured in dollars and cents.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 02, 2016 12:43PM
Can we assume that Teslas (and other all-electrics) avoid the cost of recurring state-mandated smog testing?
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 02, 2016 03:39PM
Just read it might be 3 years until the first one rolls off the line...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 02, 2016 06:04PM
If you're using the metric of a car only lasting you 3 years or 100,000 miles, no car is ever going to be cost effective for you. You're pissing away money before a modern car is even broken in. Someone scared you as a child with stories of 1960's cars and 100,000 miles, didn't they? :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 02, 2016 11:23PM
vision63

It doesn't completely eliminate carbon emissions. However, since electric cars are roughly twice as efficient (or more) as gas cars it at least cuts them in half. If you install solar panels to supply the electrons for charging you cut it way down, since there's very little carbon energy in solar.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: April 02, 2016 11:24PM
DeusxMac
Can we assume that Teslas (and other all-electrics) avoid the cost of recurring state-mandated smog testing?

Yes. They also avoid pretty much all other maintenance that gasoline cars are subject to.

Date: April 03, 2016 10:04PM
davester
DeusxMac

Yes. They also avoid pretty much all other maintenance that gasoline cars are subject to.

Oh really? They don't need their brake fluid flushed? Cabin filters replaced? Wheels/Tires rotated? Batteries replaced?

About the only thing in the first 100k miles you would get out of would be oil changes.

C(-)ris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018