Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time machine backup head-scratcher
Posted by: clay
Date: April 12, 2016 08:10AM
Imagine this scenario:

1. I've been backing up successfully to 4 TB drive for several months (since I last encountered this issue). Ran a backup yesterday morning at about 9am. According to Time Machine, the size of a full backup, based on what I have selected/excluded in TM pref panel is 2.2 TB. Ok.
2. Disconnected from TM drive all day, just reconnected this morning, about 24 hours later. Try to force a Time Machine backup after reconnecting everything. Get a "not enough space on backup drive" message. 1.8 TB available, 2.2 TB needed for backup.

I understand that Time Machine only backs up changed files after the initial backup. Why does it think that my entire set of data has changed since yesterday? At first glance, modification dates on my external drives don't appear to have changed (as I would have expected since I didn't change them). This happened back in early March as well, and maybe 6 months before that. I reformat TM drive, and then it works fine for a while.

Failing drive? Bug in the OS? User error?

Running 10.10.5. Time Machine drive is in USB 3 4-drive enclosure. Other 3 drives in enclosure seem to be operating normally, as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 08:11AM by clay.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time machine backup head-scratcher
Posted by: jardster
Date: April 12, 2016 09:33AM
Was one backup wireless and the other wired?

Date: April 12, 2016 09:37AM
nope, both wired (USB). There was nothing, that I'm aware of, that changed in terms of how TM is configured to work, or the data in question that is being backed up. Just a day between being connected to the backup drive.
Date: April 12, 2016 12:00PM
also did a disk warrior rebuild. no difference.

Drive health/performance shows "average" in DriveDX.

I reformatted and am now starting from scratch, yet again. Time to add another layer of backup to my setup...
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 12, 2016 12:22PM
Clay,

It is Time Machine that can't keep things straight. I don't have any answer for this. The ASC discussions are full of TM problems like this.

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: April 12, 2016 06:19PM
Renamed your boot vol recently?

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 12, 2016 09:02PM
Onamuji

Good question, but I wonder if the computer name changed somehow. check in File Sharing to see if there is a 2 after the computer name.
Date: April 12, 2016 10:17PM
space-time
Onamuji

Good question, but I wonder if the computer name changed somehow. check in File Sharing to see if there is a 2 after the computer name.

Nope, neither of these has happened. The only thing that changed on the computer was that I took the laptop to a different location and recorded some audio. Did not install any new software, mess around with stuff in terminal, change any settings, etc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 12, 2016 10:41PM
I assume you had WiFi access to that location?

I still think the network change somehow changed the "name" of the computer and Time Machine thinks this is a different computer than the one it was backed up before. I would be interesting if you had a larger drive that would allow backup, what would it look like when you explored the backup drive.

I assume you tried to restart?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 10:42PM by space-time.
Date: April 12, 2016 10:46PM
space-time
I assume you had WiFi access to that location?

I still think the network change somehow changed the "name" of the computer and Time Machine thinks this is a different computer than the one it was backed up before. I would be interesting if you had a larger drive that would allow backup, what would it look like when you explored the backup drive.

I assume you tried to restart?

No wifi access at away-from-home location.

Yes, I restarted.
Date: April 12, 2016 10:46PM
New backup is now done, so I'm covered for the moment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018