Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wired Mouse
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 21, 2016 07:13PM
We use wireless mice at work in conference rooms, and because you are 10-15 ft from computer, the mouse motion on the screen is sometimes a little laggy. [hmm, apparently this is not an actual word. Dictionary doesn't recognize it, but I do see it on some of the dictionaries on the Web; anyway you get the meaning].

So when I went back to my desk, I made a test, just to see if I notice any difference between the Logitech MouseAnywhere MX (wireless) and an older USB wired mouse that I had since forever. Oh man, I can't believe it, but I do see the difference, and although I can't quite complains about the MX (wireless), I find the precision of the wired mouse so much better than for the past 2-3 days I kept reaching for the wired mouse. I can't explain why the MX is still a little laggy, since the receiver is right there on the desk within 2 feet of the mouse. Perhaps everyone else in the office has wireless mice (IT seems to give Logitech 510 to everyone with a new laptop) and all these Logitech mice interfce with each other? or just in general Wireless mice are not as precise as wired mice?

Now I gotta try the same at home with my Macs.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wired Mouse
Posted by: DP
Date: April 21, 2016 07:33PM
I have used my Logitech M100 wired mouse for years. Batteries don't last long and I don't like the feel of the Magic Mouse-it cramps my fingers. Not laggy at all!

Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: April 21, 2016 07:48PM
I've tried various wireless mice, but all eventually get wonky. Wired USB for me.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: April 21, 2016 08:27PM
I've been using the same Macally keyboard and mouse at home since 2001.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 21, 2016 08:34PM
FYI- "laggy" is how them southern folks refer to long legged lasses...
no need to look it up in a dictionary, just hang out at a southern sports bar, and listen to how the drunk guys refer to the tall waitresses when they think the servers can't hear them.
:-)
==
Posted by: davester
Date: April 21, 2016 11:08PM
I've tried wireless mice but I don't like them. They're too heavy, and it's a pain dealing with batteries and connection issues. I'll stick with the wire.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: April 21, 2016 11:22PM
I got too used to using a trackball with turbocad although I'm starting to like gestures on trackpads.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 22, 2016 08:41AM

Wired for me too, for all the stated reasons.

Early Lisa pre-Mac mice had a solid steel ball with a sort of matt finish in an effort to increase friction. Before long, the finish would get polished and become slick. That, along with the inertia with such a heavy ball made them lmost useless without a sticky mouse pad. An engineer in manufacturing QC, if I recall, came up with the idea of a rubber coating. Lighter, lower mass balls came later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 08:42AM by lost in space.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 22, 2016 10:56AM
I get the impression that even the best wireless mice power down when not in use and need a new dozen milliseconds to "wake up" and respond to movements, which contributes to their laggy feel.

I like the Apple wireless mouse for the gestures and wirelessness and I like the wired Microsoft Intellimouse for the feel and programmable buttons.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 22, 2016 11:40AM
Wow, I can't believe I'm in agreement with so many here!

My latest computer came with a wireless mouse and keyboard, so in the name of "progress" I gave them a try. No complaints on the keyboard; It works exactly like a wired one in pretty much all respects. The mouse, on the other hand, loses it's connection on a regular basis even though it's only 6-12 inches from the computer. I now keep a wired mouse plugged in at all times to reconnect the wireless mouse when the connection drops and to use for gaming.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015