VW
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 29, 2016 11:35PM
co-worker shot this.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VW
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 30, 2016 01:44AM
I have a friend who had one, then this scandal came out and he immediately dumped it. He now calls them Smokeswagens.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 30, 2016 02:10AM
Falservergnügen

Posted by: chopper
Date: April 30, 2016 05:23AM
Most of the people I know who have one of those TDI lie machines do not want to give them up at all. They like 50 mpg, engine like a tank and sf what if it spews a little more ..
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 30, 2016 11:44AM
Bottom line. If your state doesn't fine you or take it away, why get wound up over it?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 30, 2016 12:54PM
Racer X
Bottom line. If your state doesn't fine you or take it away, why get wound up over it?

Because they were sold something that was not what they thought they were getting. And the car is now worth considerably less.

Yesterday I took my '04 Passat Diesel wagon into my dealer because the left door mirror fell off while driving down one of our marvelously glass-smooth interstates. While waiting for them to cement on a new one, heating element and all, I wandered the showroom floor. No customers for the ever-chatty salesman to flog so we talked about Diesels (he offered nothing more than has been in the press) and I mentioned my Diesel was in the shop for a mirror. He asked me what I had before wandering off. He approached me later and offered full retail KBB cash on the spot (he didn't give a dollar figure, just KBB). He said they had buyers who wanted nice well-kept (I would have said 'clean' but they are not) Diesels. We live in an area where people often commute 60 or 70 miles into the big city for their jobs. I declined and he did not offer more money. They had no Diesels on the used car lot. For those not following the scandal, my car was pre-cheating which the dealer can sell. The dealer cannot sell new or used cheater cars.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 10:35PM by Speedy.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: April 30, 2016 02:20PM
My wife has a 2010 TDI Jetta, and we can't wait to unload the POS. Besides the whole lying thing, the window switch stopped working the first week we had it, and just out of warranty the air conditioning broke (the dealer told us they had a common problem with metal shard in the system?) and they wanted $2400 to try and fix (no promises). Then the radio broke (dealer again told us that it was a common problem with the model). Both just after warranty ended, of course. Yeah, we'll take KBB and the settlement money to unload the car in a heartbeat. It's a shame, because it drives great and feels rock solid, but I think they cut way too many corners.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 01, 2016 09:26AM
I've had several VWs, love the way they drive, but enough of all this "German engineering" mess. ALL of mine were POJs (pieces of junque) mechanically and electrically. Same with Mercedes Benz driving friends, all of them were in the shop a lot, and only at Mercedes dealers because that's the only place that can do many jobs on them, like wheel alignment...smiley-shocked003 Anyway Speedy, maybe you got a good one; except for that mirror.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 01, 2016 10:10AM
yep, VWs are fun to drive, but not to own.

best to lease, & plan on turning it in for another still-under-warranty model.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 01, 2016 12:17PM
I think pretty much since the beginning of this forum and maybe the one before people had been warning others
of quality issues with VW. I wish I still had my '66 Beetle though, but you never went anywhere without a set of
tools and a set of points, plugs and a few other things but I still loved that car.

Grateful11
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 03, 2016 06:39PM
I saw a bumper sticker the other day on the back of a TDI Jetta wagon that read: Future Former Volkswagon Owner

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015