advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pharmacy lockout. Is this new?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 24, 2016 07:12AM
A week or so ago my daughter had a stomach bug. She was having a hard time getting over it. She felt nauseous a lot. So the wife took her to an urgent care place on a Sunday. They told her she has a stomach bug probably, but here's a prescription for zofran(?) for nausea. As is usual these days, the doctor or nurse or whoever sends your prescription to your pharmacy. You know, when they ask where your pharmacy is and you tell them. But the wife also got a print out of the prescription.

So she goes to Harris Teeter afterwards to find the pharmacy closed. Well, with our daughter suffering so, she swings by Target's pharmacy. Nope. Won't do it. Yes, she has a valid prescription. But it's for Harris Teeter. So they won't fill it. WTF!

Posted by: jardster
Date: May 24, 2016 07:21AM
I find that for most non-controlled substances, pharmacies will fill prescriptions that I write even if a different pharmacy name is on it. That being said, when people ask me to print prescriptions, I make sure to take off pharmacy info so we don't run into this problem.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pharmacy lockout. Is this new?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 24, 2016 07:22AM
jardster
I find that for most non-controlled substances, pharmacies will fill prescriptions that I write even if a different pharmacy name is on it. That being said, when people ask me to print prescriptions, I make sure to take off pharmacy info so we don't run into this problem.

I'll have to remember to specify that in the future. Although I can see the exact opposite thing happening as well. The pharmacy won't fill it b/c their name ISN'T on it.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 24, 2016 07:49AM
Weird. And annoying. Note that most pharmacy chains have at least one 24 hr pharmacy within an x mile radius.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 24, 2016 07:54AM
....so not from PHARM.....to table......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 24, 2016 09:13AM
No idea if it's law, or just common practice, but it's been that way here (California) as long as I can recall. Knowing California, probably law.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 24, 2016 10:18AM
Keep some Emetrol on hand. Old med that still works for nausea. [www.walgreens.com]

Sorry about the prescription snafu. I'd have been pissed.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 24, 2016 11:02AM
Bazooka,

At least you can get a written prescription. In NY, they must be done electronically and sent directly to the pharmacy. No more shipping around for price and/or availability. The difference in price and availability for a med can vary tremendously from pharmacy to pharmacy.

Doctors aren't willing to wait as you give the pharmacy a call to check price and stock. So, it's pretty much send it over and hope for the best and do damage control if there is a problem.

Robert
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: May 24, 2016 01:04PM
All Docs I've gone to will write a script valid at any Pharmacy. For renewals of long term meds, they will call it in to the Pharmacy.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 24, 2016 01:17PM
Cycle,

That used to be feasible in NY. By law, doctors can't do it. It must be sent electronically to the pharmacy. Very annoying!

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018