The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LOST: Visions In The Smoke
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 12, 2006 11:04AM
what did Eko (Echo?) see?

[www.4815162342.com]

more and more i think this show is about facing your demons.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LOST: Visions In The Smoke
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2006 11:08AM
I think as he stated. . .it is about fear.

He wasn't afraid so it didn't "affect" him.

Though when Locked got caught was he afraid? (from his flashbacks seems like he may have been)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 12, 2006 11:08AM
cool!

You know they do that for the people recording the show.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 12, 2006 11:21AM
I thought I saw something last night, but that made it a lot clearer. Thanks for the link.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 12, 2006 11:24AM
Woah.. those people on the 4815162342.com forum are pretty intense about the show.

Cool pics. I didn't see any of those faces on my TV. Did anyone else? It seems pretty integral to the story. Why did they make those faces so subtle i totally missed it?! Was this the HD broadcast? Or maybe the download freezeframed? Hoax?

Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 12, 2006 11:28AM
i doubt it's a hoax. i did see there were images in the smoke last night though i didn't bother to slow my tape down to decipher them.
Posted by: shadow
Date: January 12, 2006 11:30AM
3d Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool pics. I didn't see any of those faces on my
> TV. Did anyone else? It seems pretty integral to
> the story. Why did they make those faces so subtle
> i totally missed it?! Was this the HD broadcast?
> Or maybe the download freezeframed? Hoax?

I didn't think they were subtle. Fast and not really possible to discern at regular speed, but not subtle.

As we were watching it last night, I said to my wife "I wonder what those images were? I'm sure they'll be posted somewhere tomorrow".

- Shadow

Date: January 12, 2006 11:36AM
Damn my piss poor tv reception.

So it does having something to do with facing your demons? Why were the kids taken then? Because it would've been cheezy to have halucinations of evil bunny rabbits come crashing through the forest?

I HOPE in the end there's some rational explanation for all of this. Some kinda halucinatory gas on the island or something that the scientists released into the air. And it's NOT just supernatural hocus pocus. Everyone wakes up and it was all a dream nonsense.
Date: January 12, 2006 11:45AM
shadow Wrote:
> I didn't think they were subtle. Fast and not
> really possible to discern at regular speed, but
> not subtle.
>

Not subtle? I was sitting on the couch, 8 feet away from a 32inch tv. Granted i do not have pristine quality HDTV reception here.. but i didn't see any of it. Maybe i blinked(?) Ohwell.. thank goodness there's the internet.
Date: January 12, 2006 12:07PM
They looked subtle to me, too. I wasn't expecting them, so I wasn't that close to the set.

Date: January 12, 2006 12:12PM
well I missed on the episode with Shannon. . .when Jack passed by in the hospital. . .so. . .

also missed the guy in the window on the tape in the hatch. . .so my ADD must have kicked in. . . .and I must have been looking elsewhere.

Posted by: Robo
Date: January 12, 2006 01:07PM
I noticed them and with tivo wnet frame by frame and basically saw everything on that page, so they aren't faked. Although that page did not have the frame that had they new Apple plasma display media centers that I saw on my recording of it.
Date: January 12, 2006 01:44PM
I don't really even need to watch. you guys will keep me up to speed. smiling smiley

Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2006 02:33PM
I'm with 3d on this -- I didn't see any of it, but then my TV reception suckssssssssssss...

I'll have to check what my DVD recorder got of it last night...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2006 05:35PM
guys- I posted about this on the previous 'official' thread, but nobody seemed to pick up on it then.
I watched it in HD for the first time yesterday and man is it ever great, I saw faces without a doubt, but I couln't tell who they were it happened to quickly.
Date: January 12, 2006 05:49PM
I also remembered something else. When Echo was in the bar doing the drug deal the one guy stood up and said he had heard that Echo, "had no soul." Then Echo slits both their throats with the knife. I think this has something to do with the black smoke and no fear of it thing. I don't know exactly how, but it seems related.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2006 06:46PM
ahh, perhaps only people with a soul are affected.
Date: January 12, 2006 07:07PM
mikebw, yes, I saw when you posted about that. I just didn't believe it without either seeing it myself, or with screencaps...

Also, this does seem a bit on the nose, doesn't it?

rgG, yes, I remembered that too-- as if to suggest that Eko's spirituality is what saved him, just as Locke's did too.

Posted by: shadow
Date: January 12, 2006 07:13PM
3d Wrote:
> shadow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I didn't think they were subtle. Fast and
> not
> > really possible to discern at regular speed,
> but
> > not subtle.
> >
>
> Not subtle? I was sitting on the couch, 8 feet
> away from a 32inch tv. Granted i do not have
> pristine quality HDTV reception here.. but i
> didn't see any of it. Maybe i blinked(?) Ohwell..
> thank goodness there's the internet.

61" HD DLP, HD Signal, 12' away.

Trust me, it wasn't "subtle". You couldn't tell what it was, but you knew it was something.

- Shadow
Date: January 12, 2006 07:21PM
Hmmm,, i'm not sure if i'm buying this spirituality/religion thing. Only 2 of the main characters are noticeably religious (from their actions and flashback stories). The overarching plotline must include more (if not all) the characters. Or else it'll be REALLY lame.

I just PRAY that it doesn't get all screwy and wierd in the end like Matrix 3!

PeterB,
These Official Lost threads are your puppies...
So next week it'll be: Lost Thread uncensored?
We can post during the commercial breaks smiling smiley

Date: January 12, 2006 07:23PM
But PeterB, they said he had NO soul. So does that inply he wasn't afraid because he was already damned or something?

Date: January 12, 2006 07:38PM
rgG, I took it to mean that he had no soul when he was dealing drugs, but obviously in the time since, he's getting it back. He's taken on his brother's role as a priest... in a future episode (very minor spoilers) he ends up baptising Aaron.

Locke too, is portrayed as a very spiritual character -- but interestingly, Eko points out to Locke, "don't mistake coincidence for fate", which would imply that Eko realizes that Locke tends to try to find meaning in everything, which sometimes leads to error and "false faith".

My guess is -- the black smoke/monster shows you your fears, your past, and essentially frightens the bejeezus out of you, before it somehow drags you through the jungle or whips you up into a tree.

The interesting thing to me is-- supposedly people die off on the show when most or all their conflicts are resolved (this is the justification that was used for killing off Shannon, and to a lesser extent, Boone). This is curious in light of the fact that two characters who have faced off against the monster and lived, have both been portrayed as being relatively spiritual. So it doesn't quite make sense...

3d, I have no problem with having spoilers in the threads (though I guarantee you someone will complain) -- but given these episodes, it kind of makes more sense to wait till the end to post. I was going to post in the middle of the last episode, and then realized that the best stuff was coming up...

Posted by: Stavs
Date: January 12, 2006 09:31PM
Towards the end of that scene where the smoke runs away, I swear I saw the smoke turn into Walt in the distance....I was watching it frame by frame on my replay tv. All I could see was a little afro with a beige body attached to it...I'm not positive...maybe I'm just looking for answers?

Stavs
Date: January 12, 2006 11:44PM
but Locke was saved by Jack and uh forgot her character name (Evangeline's character). . .non?

didn't they drop the dynamite into the hole. . .Jack was holding on to Locke and told her to drop in in. . .right?

or am I remembering incorrectly?

Date: January 12, 2006 11:55PM
rgG, no, Locke had a face-to-face with the monster just like Eko did, and survived-- we never got to see the monster at that point, only Locke's reaction (essentially, one of awe)... interestingly enough though, later on, he nearly got dragged off by the monster and was saved by Jack. So just because you survive one encounter with the monster, doesn't mean you're safe, apparently...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Cary , DP , RE:up , WHiiP
Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018