advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help ID'ing this bird
Posted by: DP
Date: June 03, 2016 08:35AM
We were Up North last weekend and I didn't get a lot of pix as we had some maintenance to do and it seemed the birds I saw never got close enough to get a good shot. After the trip to Magee Marsh to shoot the warbler migration, I hoped to see if I could get some shots of warblers at our cottage in the northern lower peninsula of MI.
This was one bird I got and as said, it wasn't close and I was at the limit of the SX50's zoom so the quality sucks. As a result I can't make a positive ID on it. So maybe you birders of this august forum can help.
So I can see what appears to be a yellow head that goes over the top of the head, definite wing bars, and yellow breast fading to whitish underparts that may have some streaking.
The closest I see in my books are immature birds, maybe a Cerulean Warbler, or a female Bay-breasted Warbler, or a immature male Pine Warbler. It really looks like an Olive Warbler, but those are found in the American Southwest, not in MI. There are some vireos it could be too.
Based on this limited info from the pix, what say you?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help ID'ing this bird
Posted by: tenders
Date: June 03, 2016 08:39AM
I would call that a Goldfinch. They turn brown in the winter and look kinda like sparrows, but in the spring and summer gradually turn bright yellow from the head on back. This one is about halfway there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2016 08:42AM by tenders.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 03, 2016 08:50AM
That's Mitch. Mitch Featherbottom. I'd know that flighty sonofabitch anywhere. Where'd ya see him? He owes me a couple a G's.... baseball bat smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: billb
Date: June 03, 2016 09:01AM
based on the rather slender long beak and the goldfinch type markings I'd want to guess it was a pine or winter warbler also

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 03, 2016 09:13AM
rjmacs
That's Mitch. Mitch Featherbottom. I'd know that flighty sonofabitch anywhere. Where'd ya see him? He owes me a couple a G's.... baseball bat smiley

I'm laughing...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 03, 2016 11:41AM
tenders
I would call that a Goldfinch. They turn brown in the winter and look kinda like sparrows, but in the spring and summer gradually turn bright yellow from the head on back. This one is about halfway there.

That was my first thought, too.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: June 03, 2016 11:52AM
My thought is that we don't see Goldfinches up there. And their molt starts in March to April. Plus, they're yellow all over and have a short light-colored stubby beak for crushing seeds. This has a longer narrower and dark bill.

Posted by: hal
Date: June 03, 2016 12:34PM
lesser goldfinch i think
Posted by: ahs
Date: June 03, 2016 01:38PM
Maybe an American Yellow Warbler, but photos are too blurry to know for sure.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 03, 2016 01:47PM
The first answer confused me for a few seconds but I quickly realised that our goldfinches are not the same as the US goldfinches. The photos are blurry but the beak seems too pointed for any finch, they tend to be shorter and thicker than that.

Paul

Posted by: bruceko
Date: June 03, 2016 01:51PM
Looks like a grainy feathered Sparrow to me
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 03, 2016 06:23PM
Beak is waaay too long for sparrow or goldfinch, but that's as far as I can get. Warblers aren't my thing, and the rather indistinct field marks on this specimen aren't helping. Also keep in mind that it may be female, that typically have less prominent marks and color, as well as more streaks and spots.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 04, 2016 10:20PM
hal
lesser goldfinch i think

good lord, don't call him that! That is hurtful!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018