advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone to old car radio
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: June 06, 2016 06:23PM
Must I just buy a new radio to play MP3 or are there easy hookups available?

2000 Nissan Xterra.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone to old car radio
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 06, 2016 06:29PM
I bought this for my 01 Dodge Ram several years ago. Worked like a charm. I did have an aftermarket radio so I connected it to RCAs in the back. But I'd imagine there's someway to make it work in the X.

[www.amazon.com]

I should also add, I bought it b/c I kept ruining RCA to mini plug cables by plugging and unplugging my iPod/iPhone constantly. So this worked great being bluetooth. It also gave me handsfree phone when connected to my iPhone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 06:31PM by bazookaman.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 06, 2016 06:30PM
Go To Top
iPhone to old car radio...2000 Nissan Xterra.

pfft...you call THAT old?...now HERE's an Old Car Radio:
old fogey smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: June 06, 2016 06:33PM
You need to get an iSimple kit that plugs into your car radio's antenna connection (while still allowing the antenna to work). Here's one: [www.amazon.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 06, 2016 06:34PM
An FM transmitter may work well (or it may not). They are cheap enough that you could give it a try.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: MarkD
Date: June 06, 2016 06:43PM
used the cassette connection and it sounded pretty good.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 06, 2016 06:47PM
Personally, I like adapters that will add bluetooth and can use built-in steering wheel controls (if you have them). Such as: [gromaudio.com]

Though the installation is harder and it might actually be cheaper to buy a new radio (which will, of cours,e be super ugly and flashy).

Note that something it took me a while to figure out with these adapters is that if you use the USB hook-up, it literally only works with the iPod (or whatever it's called now) app. If you want to use other apps (such as Spotify, Pandora) then it's done either via Aux Input or Bluetooth streaming.
Posted by: Z
Date: June 06, 2016 06:49PM
I just installed two of these and am pleased thus far -

[www.crutchfield.com]
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 06, 2016 07:17PM
bazookaman
I bought this for my 01 Dodge Ram several years ago. Worked like a charm. I did have an aftermarket radio so I connected it to RCAs in the back. But I'd imagine there's someway to make it work in the X.

[www.amazon.com]

I should also add, I bought it b/c I kept ruining RCA to mini plug cables by plugging and unplugging my iPod/iPhone constantly. So this worked great being bluetooth. It also gave me handsfree phone when connected to my iPhone.

I have the same device in my 07 grand cherokee
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 06, 2016 08:29PM
Not sure about that specific Nissan, but for many car radios there are direct play adapters... we got one from Crutchfield for our old Toyota Sienna w/ the JBL sound system to add the old school iPod 30 pin input. About $50 IIRC for the adapter, and of course double that for the install. The video system we put in the newer Sienna plays everything, so we splurged another $150 to install some flush mounted composite/RCA inputs in that one so Baby Buzz could also attach his gaming systems on frequent LA/SF road trips. That said, I'd go w/ an FM transmitter setup for overall cost and ease of use, unless there's easy access to add bluetooth. If this had been posted last year, I would've donated some FM transmitter units for shipping cost. If davester's antenna based widget works, that looks interesting, but it's fifty bucks to find out. Love all the options.
==
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 06, 2016 11:07PM
If you have a cassette player you could use a bluetooth cassette adapter and be wire free. [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 06, 2016 11:30PM
With a new Pioneer radio being $90, look really hard at paying $30 - $40 for something that you might not be happy with.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 07, 2016 12:34AM
I'm in a similar boat with an '03 Honda with no aux, etc. that I'm tired of being limited to only CD's or radio. Geez, remember when we used to lug around large "jackets" of CDs and before that cassettes???

That Pioneer stereo (Is it "high power?") looks like a nice solution...giving up the CD player is kinda' like giving up the floppy drive I guess. Or -- something I haven't yet had to deal with -- giving up the optical drive. When you think about it, you don't REALLY need it since all your stuff is on the phone. Great thread, thanks all for posting in it.

FWIW, I had an OWC fm transmitter (w/ rca plug) bought 10 or 12 years ago...no offense to our sponsor, but it was pretty meh/static-y unless you were way out in the boonies. Makes me think all fm transmitters are like that. Plus the damn wires. We are so past that now.
Posted by: raz
Date: June 07, 2016 08:31AM
I picked up a Sony head unit at Best Buy - must have been about 10 years ago - for my Matrix. USB port on the front charges and plays music/podcasts/Garmin through the speakers.

Plays MP3 disk (I keep a few in the car).

Not a lick of trouble from day one, and not flashy at all.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: June 07, 2016 02:43PM
Similar to the recommendation by davemchine, I recently bought a Bluetooth cassette adapter for our kids car and it works great. The one downside is only about a two-hour battery life, but they only drive to school and home (a couple of miles each way).

The one I bought on Amazon is less than $25.

[www.amazon.com]

Gilbert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 07, 2016 02:57PM
......somethings just do not mix.........old school......new school........never the twain shall meet.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018