Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.22 ( -1.67 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best 25 inch window air conditioner?
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 10, 2016 10:53AM
Like others here I am throwing in the towel for the moment on my older split AC unit. I'll fix and update it ... but not now ... $$$$$.

I am just going to buy the best and most bad ass BTU window air conditioner unit which will fit in a 25 inch window.

Any suggestions? Needs to run on 110.

Looking on Amazon ... dizzying number of choices. Have Prime ... will travel.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best 25 inch window air conditioner?
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 10, 2016 11:03AM
I am generally a fan of Friedrich.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 10, 2016 11:09AM
Chopper,

What is the size of the room and does it have the sun blasting on it during the day? Once you determine that, you can choose an a/c with the proper BTU output. Also, check to see if your local utility is providing a rebate on energystar models.

Avoid Frigidaire. I don't care what Consumer Reports and other sites say. They are hit or miss when it comes to noise. The 6000 BTU model in my daughter's room is reasonably quiet. Not as quiet as the LG we have in our living room and the LG at my office but quiet enough. The 8000 BTU of the same series we had in our master bedroom sounded like a jet engine. Horrendous.

The LG we have in our living room is reasonably quiet and the noise it does make is soothing rather than irritating. 12000 BTU and as quiet as the one in the baby's room. The newer version of the same a/c at my office is just as quiet. If I didn't need as quiet as absolutely possible, I'd definitely choose an LG model.

However, if I wanted as quiet as possible, I'd look at the Friedrich Chill series. We just replaced the crappy noisy Frigidaire in our master bedroom with a 6000 BTU Friedrich Chill and it is _very_ quiet. Quieter than the LG. Like the LG, what little noise it makes is soothing rather than irritating.

The Haier Serenity series is supposed to be a touch quieter than the Friedrich but our local appliance place didn't have it and they have questionable reliability. All things considered reasonably equal, I decided the Friedrich was the better choice. Super quiet. Cools the room nicely and built like a tank in comparison to the Haier model.

Our local appliance shop store gave us a great deal on the Friedrich itself. Friedrich is giving us $30 rebate and another $25 coming our way from our local utility. The savings more than pays for the installation. The a/c is going into a window of a 3rd floor apartment. I'd rather have someone else do the work in case there is an issue. That and they removed and took away the old a/c. Well worth the bucks.

Robert
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 10, 2016 11:30AM
$440 - LG LW1215ER 12,000 BTU 115V 22.2 x 23.6 x 15 inches, 11.3 EER

Not the newest, but it has more ratings than the cheaper 12.1 EER unit.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015