advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
We won a "Free" cruise to the Bahamas!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 13, 2016 12:29PM
Wife signed up for a chance to win a few weeks ago at an event she attended, they gave her a call this weekend saying she won. They just need us to come and sit through a 1-hour presentation in order to get our vouchers. Sounds kinda scammy, but I'm sure they intend to make money from selling us something at the presentation so maybe it's legit? dunno smiley

EDIT: We will not, repeat NOT be buying anything. They say the cruise is free, maybe they are liars, but there will be no money exchange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 12:42PM by mikebw.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We won a "Free" cruise to the Bahamas!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2016 12:32PM
......so like Al Pacino......you will be.....'cruising'.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 13, 2016 12:40PM
Pay for a time-share in a place you never want to visit, get a Free Cruise!

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: billb
Date: June 13, 2016 12:43PM
I hope you don't have to endure another 4 to 5 hour time share presentation and hard sell after you get to ft lauderdale and before you get to the pier to board the "ship".
Nor endure the hard sell for a cabin upgrade which you could probably get for the same price with out the time share hard sell BS.

and that "free" cruise most likely doesn't include port fees, fuel surcharges, tips and comps.

It's just as legit as the company that will likely be on board sell ing "rare art" at once in a life time opportunity.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 13, 2016 12:48PM
billb
I hope you don't have to endure another 4 to 5 hour time share presentation and hard sell after you get to ft lauderdale and before you get to the pier to board the "ship".
Nor endure the hard sell for a cabin upgrade which you could probably get for the same price with out the time share hard sell BS.

They say ship departs from Baltimore, MD which is very close to us. Cabin is probably the worst one though.

billb
and that "free" cruise most likely doesn't include port fees, fuel surcharges, tips and comps.

They also say all expenses covered except incidentals.

billb
It's just as legit as the company that will likely be on board sell ing "rare art" at once in a life time opportunity.

I would not be surprised. Anything else to watch out for?
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 13, 2016 01:14PM
The first cruise we went on we were having a family reunion and chose a really cheap interior cabin because we weren't at all sure we'd like the whole experience. We really spent very little time there and were on deck or in the public areas most of the time. So a cheap cabin wouldn't dissuade me. We really did like it and we'll be doing it again. Maybe one of those European river cruises we see advertised on tv all the time.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 13, 2016 01:43PM
My late uncle's hobby was going to these presentations and getting the gift. However, I don't recall the gift offered as ever being a cruise. It was usually a physical item such as a TV or weed whacker or some such thing. Anyhow, he would attend and leave without signing anything and there were never any repercussions. Of course, he was a Yankee who loved a bargain and had infinite patience to listen to nonsense after having raised nine children.

Date: June 13, 2016 01:43PM
We have been on a cruise before with an exterior room which was nice, but I agree the room doesn't matter a whole lot given the number of activities elsewhere on board, and not to forget about the destination either.
Posted by: raz
Date: June 13, 2016 02:05PM
I can't imagine 3 days on a boat would be adequate compensation for listening to 3 hours of high-pressure sales for vacation packages/time shares/...

But that's me.

Also, keep in mind this is not even a low end (Carnival, Celebrity) cruise. No telling what the food/service/amenities will be like.

Again, that's just me.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 13, 2016 02:10PM
I got a free cruise to the Bahamas several years ago for renting a car from Alamo. I think I paid a small port fee. It was just a day trip though. Over in the morning, back at night. Gambling on the boat.

Wasn't worth it in the end, though. Seas were VERY rough, and it was cold (it was February). High didn't reach 70.
Date: June 13, 2016 02:13PM
mikebw

They also say all expenses covered except incidentals.

I would not be surprised. Anything else to watch out for?

incidentals will be tips and upgrades/offers
your daily room and meals tip is probably $15 per person ( not per cabin ) and then tips on any items you buy, so a $5 can of coke is $5.75 or so.
Usually you can opt out of the automatic room and board daily tip and choose to tip who and where you want but they won't be advertising the option and you usually have to insist on it at boarding when they want your credit card number to attach to your seapass card.

The ability to opt out is how they get away with not considering tips an expense. It's where a good percentage of your room steward's and dining room wait staff get their pay.

I'd be really surprised if tips and port charges were included. They're not with a paid fare.

Carnival , Royal Caribbean or joe blow's converted ferry ?

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: June 13, 2016 02:22PM
billb

incidentals will be tips and upgrades/offers
your daily room and meals tip is probably $15 per person ( not per cabin ) and then tips on any items you buy, so a $5 can of coke is $5.75 or so.
Usually you can opt out of the automatic room and board daily tip and choose to tip who and where you want but they won't be advertising the option and you usually have to insist on it at boarding when they want your credit card number to attach to your seapass card.

The ability to opt out is how they get away with not considering tips an expense. It's where a good percentage of your room steward's and dining room wait staff get their pay.

I'd be really surprised if tips and port charges were included. They're not with a paid fare.

---
Date: June 13, 2016 02:31PM
Thanks.

billb

We're supposed to get vouchers which are good for any line that serves our port, and must be used in the next 15 months. I'm sure there are many restrictions on availability that we will learn about.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 13, 2016 02:32PM
I've "won" numerous cruises. In some cases they want to sell me super expensive air fare to the point where the boat departs. They always value the trip at some crazy high price and ask me to pay the taxes up front. I've never gone on a cruise. :-(
Bahamas!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2016 02:33PM
......come on pretty mama......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 13, 2016 02:55PM
davemchine
I've "won" numerous cruises. In some cases they want to sell me super expensive air fare to the point where the boat departs. They always value the trip at some crazy high price and ask me to pay the taxes up front. I've never gone on a cruise. :-(

I suppose if it really is a gift we are receiving then we are liable to pay tax on the value of the trip. Good point.
Date: June 13, 2016 02:58PM
mikebw
Thanks.

billb

We're supposed to get vouchers which are good for any line that serves our port, and must be used in the next 15 months. I'm sure there are many restrictions on availability that we will learn about.

That's different. The free cruises I've heard/read about were wholesaler blocks of rooms/cabins. I suppose it could still be .

I've done the "free cabin" for a weekend deal sit thru an hour or two of high pressure try to get you to sign on the dotted line for a time share deal. Once. Free room for a ski weekend in New Hampshire.
I've also volunteered to chaperone high school kids and had a "free room " sleeping in the basement of a church . For another ski weekend. For kids that couldn't afford to go otherwise.

Given a choice between the two to do again I'd probably pick the goofy kids for a weekend than the merciless high pressure sales pitch.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Done
Date: June 13, 2016 03:54PM
You can just do like my wife did, she told the sales guy you can talk until your blue in the face but we aren't buying anything, we are here for the free gifts. The guy got the picture and told us you can't tell anyone that I didn't take you to look at the condo's. We got out in 20 minutes, but normally that doesn't work. I don't go to those things anymore just because I would rather sit at home than listen to all the begging.

The only reason we went to that last one was because we got to Vegas early and we couldn't get the room that early. The time share guy was right by the checkin area, free meals, free show, free room at a different time and gambling money (not much).

Enjoy, you will most likely meet all the big wigs, you meet someone new every time you turn it down and then they will discount it a little more each time. Hey it will be fun the first time!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 13, 2016 03:58PM
I wish I could do that. I'm terrible at confrontations like that. I hate buying cars etc. All that junk. My brother, however is the guy that LIKES it when the telemarketer calls.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 13, 2016 04:28PM
Michael
The first cruise we went on we were having a family reunion and chose a really cheap interior cabin because we weren't at all sure we'd like the whole experience. We really spent very little time there and were on deck or in the public areas most of the time. So a cheap cabin wouldn't dissuade me. We really did like it and we'll be doing it again. Maybe one of those European river cruises we see advertised on tv all the time.

My first cruise was also a family reunion. We booked a cabin with a patio. The moments I spent on that patio reading a book as the ship cut through the night are among the most peaceful of my life.

We were on a 15 day cruise with quite a few sea days, so there was plenty of time to enjoy the patio and still participate in other onboard activities.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 04:33PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 13, 2016 06:09PM
Nothing is free. Repeat until it sinks in.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 13, 2016 06:30PM
Tiring of the lengthy sales pitch? Time to rev up the old 'weak heart condition' for a graceful exit.
Posted by: max
Date: June 13, 2016 07:41PM
Ammo
Nothing is free. Repeat until it sinks in.
It can be under right circumstances.
I go on cheap Chines tours for ABCs. Just like there is a hook, they are subsidised by some local merchants who you just "happen" to visit. Less than a $100 for a seven day trip of some quite interesting stuff not marketed to foreigners. Pure Chinese interest. Special attractions are extra, without markups and usually well worth it. There is not a chance to see most of it anyplace else.
It is a win win deal. First because they are aimed at American Chinese, they are run at bit higher level than those for the natives, second, because the target demographics is presumed to have some money, the merchants are also of higher caliber, third because the tour is aimed at Chines speakers there is no English spoken by any of the help or the vendors. When my turn comes up to be milked, one look and I am skipped. Everybody presumes I dont speak Chinese. In fact I do not, but I do understand enough.
it is very interesting and extremely educational.
Also a lot of fun to watch the entire hard sell game from the inside, without being subjected to the pressure yourself....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018