Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.03 ( -1.86 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do people cope? 117º forecast for Phoenix today
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 19, 2016 01:36PM
The highest I've experienced was around 107º and, to me, that is like an oven. I cannot imagine what 10º warmer is like.

National Weather Service

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do people cope? 117º forecast for Phoenix today
Posted by: billb
Date: June 19, 2016 01:41PM
It's a dry heat. RollingEyesSmiley5

I've been there for 111ºF
I don't remember wanting to do much of anything but sit in the shade and read a book.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 19, 2016 01:45PM
We stopped in a park visitor's center in Bakerstown one July afternoon when it was just a tad over 100 degrees and the attendant looked incredulous like "Why are you here???" I had the same question after about 5 minutes.
Posted by: max
Date: June 19, 2016 02:00PM
What bilb said, dry heat.

I spend a week in Jodhpur with temperature hovering at about 113.
For one you stay in the shade.
Even then, the sun heated stone and concrete would transfer heat to the soles of your footwear. My boots would get hot to a point I had to sit on the bench (in a shade) and wait for them to cool off.
Locals take siesta, the most civilized way to deal with the heat.
Shopping and social life starts in the evening ....
Posted by: DP
Date: June 19, 2016 02:23PM
Acer
We stopped in a park visitor's center in Bakerstown one July afternoon when it was just a tad over 100 degrees and the attendant looked incredulous like "Why are you here???" I had the same question after about 5 minutes.

Bakersfield?
I was in Palm Springs working outdoors when they set a daily record of 122º and it was 117, 118 each day before and after that. That was hot but the answer is? Air conditioning of course! How about Miami in August when it's 93º but with 70% humidity...

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 19, 2016 02:29PM
Not for me. Around these parts, if it gets above 90º I shut right down and won't do much of anything.

It's 87º right now with temperatures rising. I'm already sluggish.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: DP
Date: June 19, 2016 02:51PM
Same here in SE lower MI but Weather Service reports the humidity at 34%. A dry heat, Rick-o!

Posted by: jdc
Date: June 19, 2016 02:54PM
shade? pfft.

AC. Id sit in my car in the shade with AC on.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 19, 2016 02:59PM
I was at Shasta Lake, CA a few years ago when it hit 115. The only thing we got out of the water for was to grab another cold beer.

Athens, OH
Date: June 19, 2016 03:02PM
Is there ever a year where Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and So. California don't have stop-the-presses record breaking heat ?
In the Summer ?

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: June 19, 2016 03:10PM
Just wait until January in International Falls, MN.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 19, 2016 03:34PM
These days it's easy.

But once I was eating at an OLD popular steakhouse in Tempe (Monty's - now closed) - right next to Phoenix. Often you have to wait to be seated and the in the waiting area, there are lots of historical photos of the early days in the 19th century and all I could think of when looking at any of them is how and why did they survive here back then?

PS: I had a friend that moved to Scottsdale from Sacramento and when asked about the heat, he said that he would go from his air conditioned house to his air conditioned car to his air conditioned job and back again. How hard can it be?

That year they broke a record for consecutive days over 110º (something like 20) - he moved the next year. It was just too oppressive.

PPS: Oh @#$%&!

PPPS: That 99º with showers has not ever happened in this area that I can remember. Warm rain showers is not something I'm familiar with.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 03:51PM by hal.
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 19, 2016 03:39PM
I knew a MN UPS driver some years ago. He said with good boots and underclothes he would work no problem in ten below. But he said when the temp went over 90 his job became unbearable.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 19, 2016 04:02PM
Well that temp is nuts, but I'd take 100f dry heat over 80 f humid any day. Humidity makes me irritable to every sentient being
Date: June 19, 2016 04:20PM
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 19, 2016 04:55PM
My brother lives in Phoenix. Due to AC the daytime isn't that bad. The challenging part is getting into your car after work. He also told me it's tough not being able to go outside for a walk as the temps don't ever cool off enough at night. I equate it to the pacific NW winters where we are stuck inside for a few months every year.
Posted by: fauch
Date: June 19, 2016 06:14PM
Easy, you don't go out. EVAR...
Date: June 19, 2016 06:49PM
I don't mind the heat. You do learn to pace yourself though.
and hydration takes on a whole new electrolytes dimension. After a point drinking tons of water just doesn't help.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 19, 2016 07:02PM
I can't remember where I read it, but now it seems pretty obvious...

The population boom in southern cities (Houston, Phoenix, Atlanta, etc.) that began circa 1960 coincides with the popularization of air conditioning. Before that time, none of the largest population cities in the U.S. were in the south. (Inland parts of Los Angeles can be pretty hot but much of the area is moderated by the ocean.)

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 19, 2016 07:54PM
billb
It's a dry heat. RollingEyesSmiley5

I've been there for 111ºF
I don't remember wanting to do much of anything but sit in the shade and read a book.

Yeah, tell your T Day turkey not to worry, it's a DRY heat.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 19, 2016 08:25PM
Hottest where I lived was 114 F in Sac. On a vacation to Scottsdale in October it was 117 F at Hoover Dam, and at least 104 F in Scottsdale for two days. Even if you aren't doing work it helps to be in decent shape where you sweat during workouts for at least a half hour.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 19, 2016 08:30PM
this is what i don't understand about people moving away from the snow.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 19, 2016 09:51PM
mattkime

You can always put on another sweater, I say. You just can't take off your skin.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 19, 2016 10:25PM
mrbigstuff
mattkime

You can always put on another sweater, I say. You just can't take off your skin.

Sit on a vinyl car seat that has been sitting in the 117 degree sun and that skin will come right off.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 20, 2016 02:10AM
The forecast for Death Valley today was 134° and a cool 125° in Palm Springs.
The long range forecast for Palm Springs this summer is two day of 99° and the remainder over 100° until September 9th. Great for golfing on one of the 33 courses in the area.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 20, 2016 03:14AM
Gosh Hal, Monty's lunch specials were a staple for my friends and I in the seventies. We would bicycle over, $2.25 for a burger/fries/salad or $3.25 for a petite filet mignon/potato of choice/salad as I remember. Very tasty!

Worked construction those days; would start at 5AM and was off by 1PM to avoid much of the heat. Digging bars and other high thermal mass tools had to be stuck vertically in the ground; tools laid on the ground would burn hands, even with leather gloves.

Had a housemate who got me into handball on the ASU campus. A big group of us would have noontime games in the outdoor four wall with half roof concrete courts every weekday. Figured I lost a half gallon per hour sweating during those games.

One can get used to the heat. I lost my acclimatization within three weeks after moving though...

Max temp for me was 123F in palm Desert. I remember sweating away clips/hooks on my shoulder pads at football practice.

=wr=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 03:17AM by wave rider.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 20, 2016 08:27AM
davemchine
I equate it to the pacific NW winters where we are stuck inside for a few months every year.

Wait, what is bad about winters in the PNW? Because it rains?
Posted by: Drew
Date: June 20, 2016 08:54AM
Bixby
davemchine
I equate it to the pacific NW winters where we are stuck inside for a few months every year.

It's not the rain, it's the grey sky and no sunshine for months on end.
Date: June 20, 2016 09:53AM
Drew
Bixby
davemchine

Trying to go for a walk/run/ride in the rain, down a road with no shoulder/sidewalk and dodging the lumber trucks. It puts a damper on exercise.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 20, 2016 03:40PM
Drew
Bixby
davemchine

So exactly like Lansing, Michigan area winters except it's snow not rain and much colder.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 20, 2016 03:43PM
Baseball players hit the road...
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 20, 2016 04:27PM
121ºF in Palm Springs at 2:30PM today. And while it's been a dry heat here (18% RH), there is plenty of moisture starting to get pulled in now. At least the AC will have something to pull the heat out of now.
Date: June 20, 2016 05:25PM
AllGold
Drew
Bixby
davemchine

So exactly like Lansing, Michigan area winters except it's snow not rain and much colder.

Close, Seattle is 5 degrees further North and gets 30 minutes less sun on the Winter Solstice than Lansing. While it doesn't rain that much volume wise, there are 155 rainy (cloudy) days per year. They mostly fall between November and March. It rains about every two out of three days during this period. During the Summer, it is typically warmer in Seattle than San Francisco (last statistic thanks to VP F).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 20, 2016 05:58PM
Filliam H. Muffman
During the Summer, it is typically warmer in Seattle than San Francisco (last statistic thanks to VP F).

What place ISN'T warmer than San Francisco in the summer?
Posted by: Drew
Date: June 20, 2016 06:10PM
Filliam H. Muffman
AllGold
Drew
Bixby
davemchine

Close, Seattle is 5 degrees further North and gets 30 minutes less sun on the Winter Solstice than Lansing. While it doesn't rain that much volume wise, there are 155 rainy (cloudy) days per year. They mostly fall between November and March. It rains about every two out of three days during this period. During the Summer, it is typically warmer in Seattle than San Francisco (last statistic thanks to VP F).

Was born and raised in Seattle area, finally moved away at 35. Family and friends remain, so I often go back for a visit. I remember visiting my mother in February a few years ago. They had just set a new record for something like 112 straight days of measurable precipitation. It was still dark at 8:00am and never really brightened up all day, just got to a lighter shade of gray. At about 3:30pm the gray got darker and night settled in at like 4:30 or so. Never noticed it when living there, but it was shockingly depressing.
Date: June 20, 2016 10:53PM
I think the worst place I've been for the heat was near Longview, Texas . It was only about 96º or 98º but the humidity must have been 100%. It felt like you were being crushed by a wall of water. The air was thick like pea soup.

[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015