The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My area is worse than awful
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: June 22, 2016 02:16PM
26 million trees have died in the Sierra since October, raising fire risk
Dead trees
Dead and dying trees dot the lush landscape along the Merced River in March 2015. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)
Matt Stevens
The lethal combination of drought, heat and an infestation of ravenous bark beetles has killed 26 million trees in the Sierra Nevada since October, an "unprecedented" die-off that heightens an already high wildfire risk, officials said Wednesday.

The new estimate by the U.S. Forest Service brings the loss of trees to at least 66 million since 2010 -- a problem that grew worse despite an average winter of rain and snow that brought some relief to urban Californians.

The dire report comes as fires have raged across the California, burning thousands of acres, forcing evacuations and closing freeways.

See the most-read stories this hour »

“Tree dies-offs of this magnitude are unprecedented and increase the risk of catastrophic wildfires that puts property and lives at risk,” Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said in a statement.

The latest estimates come from a May survey of six southern Sierra counties: Fresno, Kern, Madera, Mariposa, Tuolumne and Tulare. And the 26 million trees that apparently died between October 2015 and May continue a disturbing uptick.

Forest service officials found 40 million dead trees between 2010 and 2015 and say that nearly 30 million of those succumbed to drought and insect mortality between September 2014 and October 2015.

The rapid recent die-off prompted Gov. Jerry Brown to declare a state of emergency in fall and form a tree mortality task force to help mobilize additional resources for the safe removal of dead and dying trees.

The Forest Ser

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My area is worse than awful
Posted by: hal
Date: June 22, 2016 02:28PM
Locally in Sacramento, the temporary effects of the decent rainy season this year is fading and the long term effects of the drought are showing through. Tree are dying around here too along with lots of wild growth. The laws forbidding excessive water use are taking hold along with water rate increases. This area is DRY.

Hoping for another good rain year this year. Nice to see snow in the mountains again, but we still need more.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 22, 2016 03:11PM
What can be made of those dead and dying trees? Can they be chipped and processed for fuel or what?
Seems like there should be some sorta good use for them. Here we only burn dead or dying trees for our
firewood, we never cut a green trees for firewood there's always dead trees somewhere on 85 acres. We've
got one on the ground now that measures 54" across where the guy cut it 6 feet up, lightning killed it.
It's been limbed up but the trunk is still there.

Grateful11
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2016 03:17PM
Grateful11
What can be made of those dead and dying trees?...

Remote and inaccessible areas. Also you cannot use / move any products from that area due to bark beetle infestation. So there's really nothing that can/should be done with them. Removal = deforestation = landslides and general devastation. A die-off area looks and IS particularly horrible. Wildfires are 'nature's cleaner' that turns a die off area into grassland and eventually new trees grow up.

Of course I'm hideously over simplifying a complex issue in forest management.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 22, 2016 03:29PM
They're supposedly converting/building a couple biomass to electricity plants to take advantage of some of it but they are not very big and only put a small dent in the amount of fuel standing. and it will probably come from accessible areas. Near the plants for transport costs.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Pat
Date: June 22, 2016 03:59PM
The state just bought 4 incinerators to help dispose of trees. They've been using similar ones in the San Bernardino Mountains to dispose of beetle infested trees.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 22, 2016 04:05PM
10 years ago, a huge wind storm blew down millions of old growth timber along the Minnesota-Ontario border. This set the stage for equally large forest fires in the ensuing years.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 22, 2016 05:31PM
Grateful11
What can be made of those dead and dying trees? Can they be chipped and processed for fuel or what?
Seems like there should be some sorta good use for them. Here we only burn dead or dying trees for our
firewood, we never cut a green trees for firewood there's always dead trees somewhere on 85 acres. We've
got one on the ground now that measures 54" across where the guy cut it 6 feet up, lightning killed it.
It's been limbed up but the trunk is still there.

How about one of these from that old tree of yours? Are you any good at carving?

[www.visualnews.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: billb
Date: June 22, 2016 05:44PM
What would it cost to commission such a 'piece of art' ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 23, 2016 12:11AM
Well I've carved a lot Santa Christmas ornaments but that's about it.

This shows how big it is, I'm 6'1".

I wanted to see it cut but the guy cut it while we were still in bed in early one morning. My son said he felt it hit the ground. White Oak I think.

Grateful11

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 08:10AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 23, 2016 04:37AM
Nice pic. Unfortunate loss, though.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020