advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Apple patent for disabling iPhone cameras at concerts and sensitive locations
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 30, 2016 02:18PM
The patent describes the camera detecting an infrared signal and interpreting the data. One signal could be used to disable both still photography and video recording.

From what I understand, you will still be able to photograph your friends and other people, but not when the camera is pointed towards the stage, etc.

This article discusses censorship concerns:

the guardian

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Apple patent for disabling iPhone cameras at concerts and sensitive locations
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: June 30, 2016 02:31PM
That seems like a real slippery slope to me. I don't think the Guardian article even begins to explore the privacy concerns.
Re: New Apple patent for disabling iPhone cameras at concerts and sensitive locations
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 30, 2016 03:02PM
The paper I was with, and many others, have stopped covering many concerts because the promoters want ownership of all images. We wouldn't agree and just didn't cover it, or promote it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 30, 2016 07:33PM
I have several IR filters available.
Posted by: fauch
Date: June 30, 2016 08:37PM
Why in the world would Apple do this? It is stupider than taking away the headphone jack on the iPhone. How much are they being paid to do so??
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 01, 2016 02:18AM
fauch
Why in the world would Apple do this? It is stupider than taking away the headphone jack on the iPhone. How much are they being paid to do so??

Video on phones is getting better and better. It becomes content that competes with what they're selling.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 01, 2016 05:24AM
fauch

Because Apple can sell the transmitter to numerous venues for big bucks. This would just be for stadium concerts, but potentially every music venue, every sports venue, every movie theater, every strip club, etc. They are looking at thousands of outlets as potential customers. If Apple is smart they will open the patent (like Volvo use to do with safety improvements) so other maker's phones have the same limitation.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 01, 2016 06:47AM
I saw this and thought it was an Onion article... Totally stupid precedent. Where else would they sell these to ?
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 01, 2016 07:17AM
Ombligo
fauch

Because Apple can sell the transmitter to numerous venues for big bucks. This would just be for stadium concerts, but potentially every music venue, every sports venue, every movie theater, every strip club, etc. They are looking at thousands of outlets as potential customers. If Apple is smart they will open the patent (like Volvo use to do with safety improvements) so other maker's phones have the same limitation.

And it would be worth the consumer outrage and potential loss in sales (IDK if I would buy a device that can be disabled like that)? They made this huge stink about not helping the FBI break their encryption, now they are going to sell devices for profit that disable major features of the phones that they sell for a LOT of money? Doesn't sound too wise to me... Also before this is even released someone will have a way to defeat it, so what is the point? I understand that DRM was to appease the record labels, but this is just too much...
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 01, 2016 11:50PM
Not surprising. Big companies do stuff like this all the time. Will Apple push a product here? I actually doubt it, but you never know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015