advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Washing Machine Recommendations
Posted by: jardster
Date: July 01, 2016 06:59AM
We've finally had it with our front loading GE washer. We use bleach, we use washer cleaner, we leave the door open, we clean out all of the gunk... and it still smells. This just seems to be an issue with front loaders, so I'm kind of done with them.

I'd like to get a new top loader (and I'll get a dryer to match because otherwise I'll never hear about it from my wife). I like the idea of the ones without the agitator because you can fit bigger things in (think... king size duvet that the dog pukes on).

Does anyone have specific recommendations for a brand/model? And what do you think about review sites such as consumer reports?... do you put any stock in those?

Thanks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Washing Machine Recommendations
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 01, 2016 07:30AM
We have had a Fisher-Paykal for about 10-years, does a great job. We did have to replace the pump last year, but it was cheap (~$40) and a simple DIY. We also have the top load dryer (gas) which is nice. It is 8 years old but it is a bit more problematic. Nothing outrageous but I've put new bearings in it twice and a thermostat - both were easy to do and not too costly.

One nice thing on the washer is the spin cycle is much faster than other washers. That draws out a great deal more water, cutting down on drying time.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: July 01, 2016 07:43AM
We have a front loading Bosch, 12 years of great service so far, and no odor at all. We do always leave the door open. I like front loading because you can wash big things like sleeping bags, dog beds, etc. Anyway, I'm always interested in what people say about what's good.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 01, 2016 07:45AM
Our appliance fixit man hates the new fangled appliances because it's all computerized and has a lot of moving parts that breat and are expensive to fix. He likes Kenmore and Whirlpool because they make great no frills washers and dryers.

As far as CR, I use them for the raw data - the tables that they'd have for ease of use, durability, etc. Rarely do I put much stock in their written reports.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 07:48AM by Spiff.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 01, 2016 08:04AM
Good luck:
[www.youtube.com]

add some TSP to a wash load every now and then and see if your stinky washer problem goes away front or top load

they removed phosphates from dishwasher detergent and people started complaining their dishwashers stink and don't clean like they used to - blame the dishwasher
they removed phosphates from clothes detergent and - stinky washers and don't clean. Surprise surprise.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 01, 2016 08:30AM
.....the only problem is no matter how hard you try......

....gonna' wash that man right outta' my hair......

........it never works........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 01, 2016 08:32AM
LG high-efficiency (no agitator) top-loader here since 2010.

IIRC, Consumer Reports has the LG HE washers requiring fewer repairs than other brands.
Posted by: raz
Date: July 01, 2016 08:53AM
we replaced our POS Whirlpool front loader with a GE top loader - no agitator. It's been trouble free from day 1 - unlike its predecessor which went through two logic boards and had pieces falling off.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 01, 2016 09:15AM
We left our old front loader at our old house b/c the buyers asked and the sellers were leaving theirs at our new house. But i miss it. Especially since I have a water bill now. With a front loader there's barely any water in it. I watched our "new" top loader fill up and wondered how many GALLONS was going to go in there!

Plus the dryer doesn't match. I hate that. Not only does it not match but it looks like it's from a different era. And dryers are the most energy guzzling appliance you own. So while it still works, I'd imagine a new fangled one would be WAY more efficient.

All that said, I'll probably eventually get a new LG set along the lines of the ones mentioned here: [thesweethome.com]

Date: July 01, 2016 09:39AM
Whew, that top loader in the YouTube video was gross! What was that one? Whirlpool? Well, shows how important this topic is! Amazing that now, it seems that Korean makers are making the best washers/dryers. I'd go with the Lucky Gold (LG) brand before Samsung. But, like I said, our Bosch has worked great for 12 years.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 01, 2016 10:06AM
jardster
We've finally had it with our front loading GE washer. We use bleach, we use washer cleaner, we leave the door open, we clean out all of the gunk... and it still smells. This just seems to be an issue with front loaders, so I'm kind of done with them.

I'd like to get a new top loader (and I'll get a dryer to match because otherwise I'll never hear about it from my wife). I like the idea of the ones without the agitator because you can fit bigger things in (think... king size duvet that the dog pukes on).

Does anyone have specific recommendations for a brand/model? And what do you think about review sites such as consumer reports?... do you put any stock in those?

Thanks

Use chlorine bleach with every load of towels and whites. The odor will go away.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 01, 2016 12:16PM
I switched to a UV water treatment for our front loader. Sterilizes the washing machine each load. Stink is gone.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 01, 2016 12:54PM
I would try the TSP first.
Date: July 01, 2016 03:02PM
Sorry, but wha' is TSP, other than teaspoon?

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 01, 2016 03:20PM
GuyGene
Sorry, but wha' is TSP, other than teaspoon?

Trisodium phosphate

[www.google.com]
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: July 01, 2016 03:35PM
Our $650,13 month old Whirlpool stopped working a couple years ago. The repairman said, "Don't bother fixing it. these are junk, just get a Speed Queen and you'll have it for 20 years with no problems." That's what we did. No fancy lights, buttons, just dials for water temp and cycles. It's big, it's great, we love it.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 01, 2016 04:23PM
We have a front load Samsung and while it's been pretty dependable for 4 or 5 years, my old top-loader cleaned clothes much, much better. Had a Whirlpool front loader before this, it died about a month out of the 6-yr warranty. I expect the Samsung to do the same here soon, it's been making some odd noises.

Makes me want to hit CL for a 20-year-old top loader for <$40 that will run another 20 years with no issues. I think top loaders clean much better. But what do I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 04:24PM by SteveO.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 01, 2016 04:30PM
Many people, many valid opinions and experiences.

So, here's mine.
Front loader, mine just happens to be Frigidaire, 8 or so years old, no issues, oops, wait, a $10 plastic clip on the door broke on the dryer, so the machine thought the door was open. Ten dollar part, $85 for repairman to diagnose and install.

That said, love the front load. Door always left open when not in use, run the Washing Machine cleaner pack with hot water about since every few months.
I do know there is a lot of discussion about the amount of detergent to use. I was told, the front loader uses two thirds less water, so use two thirds less detergent, so no cake-y residue or buildup.
For the last two years I have used the wash ball, no detergent. $45, manufacturer said it would last 9 months with my expected wash load quantity, actually got 15 months before we noticed the whites were not as bright, bought another wash ball, still love it.

I would recommend a front loader and a wash ball to anyone. (Guess I just did)

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 01, 2016 11:19PM
jardster

Thanks

I know you have a GE, but for anybody that has a Maytag, Whirlpool, or Kenmore front-loader from 2001-2010: get some money out of it or a coupon for your next purchase: [www.consumerreports.org]

[www.washersettlement.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 11:21PM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 02, 2016 09:10AM
DinerDave
Many people, many valid opinions and experiences.

So, here's mine.

I would recommend a front loader and a wash ball to anyone. (Guess I just did)

Dave

Never heard of this wash ball so I had to look it up

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 02, 2016 06:55PM
....what about the ol' fashioned one.....??

.....the washing board.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 03, 2016 01:49AM
NewtonMP2100
....what about the ol' fashioned one.....??

.....the washing board.......???

You need someone to work that thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018