advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Animal lovers: Shameless plug for a small local rescue group
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 01, 2016 09:53AM
Off and on for nearly 20 years, I have worked with NYC-based City Critters, a non-profit animal rescue group that works with cats, although we have also helped to rescue some dogs and at least one turtle. CCI is participating in Amazon PrimeDay July 12th. If you shop on Amazon using the PrimeDay link on our homepage, we will get something from Amazon.

This is an all-volunteer group. No one gets a salary, and the money really IS spent on the animals, the biggest expense being the scary vet bills we rack up. No one is using donated money to fly around the country in chartered jets, and rack up enormous entertainment expenses.

[www.citycritters.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 09:56AM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Animal lovers: Shameless plug for a small local rescue group
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: July 01, 2016 10:17AM
Right on ka. We have a local cat rescue that works the same way. Love it!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 01, 2016 10:27AM
I can attest to local rescue groups needing money. Badly. The one I help out never gets past all of the constant vet bills to get to food, flea and tick, heart worm, towels, bowels, etc.

ka jowct, if the group hasn't already, they should set up a wish list on Amazon.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 01, 2016 10:39AM
Hi everyone,

I need to relay a brief story about City Critters and why I continue to support them year after year even though I do not live in New York City.

Many years ago, my parents had a family of feral cats living on their property. This was a potentially deadly issue since my mother is deathly allergic to cats and I have a serious allergy to them that has worsened over the years. Despite this, we took care of the feral cats until one by one they moved on to a new home.

During the time they lived on the property, one summer, I noticed a kitten that wasn't related to the feral family visiting the yard, crying terribly. The kitten, who named herself Socksy, was approximately a month old. This kitten's mama was nowhere to be found and the mama feral kitty on my parent's property wanted nothing to do with her.

Ka Jowct was kind enough to contact the powers that be of City Critters and they gave her permission take Socksy. I just had to tame her so she could be adopted. Two weeks and multiple severe allergy attacks later, Socksy was tame and ready for pickup. Since I didn't have the means to transport Socksy, Ka Jowct, with a kitty carrier in hand, took a train from Manhattan to Long Island to pick her up. I gladly transported Ka Jowct to and from the train station.

That City Critters was willing to take Socksy and help her get adopted alone is enough for me to continue supporting them. That their reps go far above and beyond the call of duty to assist animals and families in need takes it a step further.

Kudos to City Critters and, especially, Ka Jowct. She made all the difference to Socksy and my family.

Robert
Posted by: jardster
Date: July 01, 2016 10:42AM
That's great. Our favorite rescue is [www.luckydoganimalrescue.org] We got one of our dogs from them. They actually "participate" with amazon regularly. I search all amazon using www.smile.amazon.com which allows you to pick a charity and they donate with each purchase. I'm happy that Lucky Dog gets money every time I spend money at Amazon.

I checked at www.smile.amazon.com and City Critters is a group that you can pick. It's an easy way to donate while buying the things you normally would.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 10:44AM by jardster.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: July 01, 2016 11:55AM
I will look for City Critters next time I make an Amazon Prime purchase.

Seems like a great group.

BTW, I had a severe cat allergy and went for shots. Now, allergy free and enjoying my neighbor's cat. It does work.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 01, 2016 01:16PM
great story, RM. and thanks ka jowct for the work you do. I will try to put in something directly.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 01, 2016 02:13PM
You can go to Amazon Smile and specify City Critters as your charity and as long as you go to Amazon and shop via the Smile Page you will automatically support them with your purchases every day. I already have a Baltimore rescue set up on my Smile page but would love to see folks choosing City Critters in honor of kajowct.

Date: July 01, 2016 03:36PM
$tevie
You can go to Amazon Smile and specify City Critters as your charity and as long as you go to Amazon and shop via the Smile Page you will automatically support them with your purchases every day. I already have a Baltimore rescue set up on my Smile page but would love to see folks choosing City Critters in honor of kajowct.

Same here, I already use Amazon Smile for a local rescue. I also encourage those not using the program to start and select City Critters. Every little bit helps.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 01, 2016 09:11PM
I sent the link to my daughter and her BF who live in Brooklyn. They are cat lovers and they order a lot from Amazon. Hope they link it up.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 02, 2016 11:35AM
I love this thread. I never really buy from Amazon, but I'll set it up so that when I do, City Critters will get some change.

Can we get a critter?!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 11:37AM by vision63.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 02, 2016 09:53PM
I think you are a teensy bit out of our delivery range. We generally deliver pets to the new homes.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 03, 2016 02:07AM
CRITTER!

Oh. I thought this was a play on the "Amen!" thing.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 03, 2016 06:17PM
RAMd®d
CRITTER!

Oh. I thought this was a play on the "Amen!" thing.

I think it was. Not literally asking for a critter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018