advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lost a close friend
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 09, 2016 05:24PM
This man was diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer 14 years ago. I have never seen anyone cheat death the way he did. At least 6 times, we thought it was the end, because the cancer got to his bones, or it was flaring in his prostate with PSA at 800 or . . . But every time, he beat it, getting treatment at the Seattle Cancer Center. He lived on the East side of the Cascades and made the trip to Seattle for treatment every week for most of those years, often traveling alone. His tenacity came out of his refusal to leave his twin daughters without a father, though their mom is still with them and healthy; he'd lost his dad to the same disease as a young man.

He worked those years as a mediator, and championed his native Eritrea, bringing the human rights abuses and corruption to light. He was to have been a guest of their opposition leadership at the end of July.

Finally, two weeks ago, after several transfusions, his blood count kept dropping. They found it had spread to his liver an adrenal gland, causing excessivve bleeding and abdominal pain. I last saw him last Sunday. Our families shared a trditional meal in the Eritrean community near Seattle, all of us knowing it likely would be our last. Afterwards as they drove away, I had the distinct feeling we would never see him again. That turned out to be true.

He was quiet and modest but had a fierce commitment to supporting the underdog. From him I learned the true meaning of humanity. I'm sure going to miss him.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lost a close friend
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 09, 2016 05:33PM
I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like an inspiration to friends and community.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bik
Date: July 09, 2016 05:35PM
Horrible and scary disease.
Sounds like he was a good guy and good dad. Not fair that his family has to be without him.
So sorry for your loss.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 09, 2016 05:47PM
So sorry for your loss. I hope your friend found peace in the end.

Plus, that was a very nice tribute you wrote for him. R.I.P.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 09, 2016 06:10PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I know you will miss him. Please accept my condolences.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 09, 2016 06:27PM
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a true hero.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 09, 2016 06:30PM
I should ask my friends if they knew him. They are Eritrean asylees here in Seattle. Their parents were in the diplomatic corps. THe wife gets pissed off if you call her African-American. "I'm African DAMMIT!"

Sorry to hear it. Can you PM me his name?
Posted by: Frank
Date: July 09, 2016 08:02PM
Condolences. Close friends are hard to come by and sorely missed when they are gone.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: July 09, 2016 09:35PM
What a loss. My condolences to you, his family, and all who knew him.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 09, 2016 09:48PM
My condolences for your loss...

=wr=
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 09, 2016 10:47PM
Sad loss, but it is wonderful that he leaves memories like what you have shared with us.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: July 10, 2016 01:35AM
So sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend to prostate cancer four years ago. F cancer.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 10, 2016 05:41AM
Such a nice tribute you posted. So sorry for your loss.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 10, 2016 11:56AM
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Positive thoughts coming your way.

Grateful11
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 10, 2016 08:42PM
Thank you for all the kind words.

Posted by: comphernation
Date: July 11, 2016 03:17AM
Sounds like he was quite a guy. I'm sorry you lost your friend, and I feel for his family.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018