Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
You vs Speed Limit.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 17, 2016 03:17PM
Driving topics seem very popular here, even more so that hot topics on the "Friendly" side or MRF. Recent examples are driving in the left lane, or jdc not using blinkers.

Anyway, as I was driving today back home on a country road, I decided to put my cruise control at 45 which is exactly the speed limit. There was no traffic, but eventually a car approached me from behind. Even though passing was allowed, they didn't pass me, but it was obvious they wanted to go faster.

I was just curious how fast you drive. Around here it seems OK to do about 8-10 MHP over the speed limit (when 45 or higher). I don't know if the cops would pull you over if you did 34 in a 25 zone.

I would rather have them post the actual limit, for example instead of 65 on turnpike, post 75 or even 80 but enforce it with zero tolerance. Want to avoid a ticket, set your CC 1-2 miles below the limit. I don't like this game of guessing how fast can you go, and whenever I do exactly speed limit, people tailgate you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: You vs Speed Limit.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 17, 2016 03:37PM
Speed limits where? Or everywhere?

Many "limits" have not been updated to reflect the development of the modern car.

White signs are limits, yellow are suggested.

I recanted, I use blinkers now. RollingEyesSmiley5

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 17, 2016 03:39PM
I'm not sure if a "zero tolerance" would be viable.

Two cars could be driving at the exact same speed. Car A's speedometer might indicate 2 mph below the limit while car B's 2 mph over the limit; and they both could be above what the LEO's equipment indicates.

With "zero tolerance" B should assume he's ticket-worthy, but what about A?

As drivers, we have only our own speedometers to go by.
Date: July 17, 2016 03:43PM
Not true anymore, GPS, phones, etc show actual speed, regardless of vehicle specifics such as speedometer calibration or different tire diameter.
Date: July 17, 2016 03:45PM
Thanks a lot for using turning signals!!! I really mean it. Well done.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 17, 2016 03:56PM
I drive lots of country roads. I tend to stick to the limit since you will often encounter an Amish buggy or a %#&@$ farmer driving his tracker in the middle of the road usually towing a manure spreader throwing %#&@$ all over the road. I also don't use my cruise control on the small roads, too many driveways and entrances to the farms.
There is a town nearby that has a 25mph limit. You will get ticketed if you drive 26. I usually go about 4 or 5 miles over the limit on highways without too much worry...unless there is a %#&@$ farmer that decides he should now be able to drive on the interstate.
Date: July 17, 2016 04:02PM
space-time
Thanks a lot for using turning signals!!! I really mean it. Well done.

Sorry, forgot to add "when necessary"

----

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 17, 2016 04:18PM
space-time
Not true anymore, GPS, phones, etc show actual speed, regardless of vehicle specifics such as speedometer calibration or different tire diameter.

Maybe, but how many drivers currently:
- have a vehicle equipped to display speed derived from GPS data?
- use their phone to continuously monitor their speed?

If, and until, all vehicles on the road can display the same, accurate speed information simultaneously, some "fudge factor" enforcement will be needed to allow for the imprecision of the speed information available to drivers.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2016 04:25PM
I agree with mstudio: On a single-lane country, stay at or below the limit and let the other fellow pass when safe to do so.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 17, 2016 04:34PM
jdc
Speed limits where? Or everywhere?

Many "limits" have not been updated to reflect the development of the modern car.

White signs are limits, yellow are suggested.

Wow, your interpretations of rules and regulations sure are convenient.
Yellow signs are warning signs.

This sign:

is not suggesting you check your pants fly. It is a warning that the left lane ends. You need to finish passing or give up and yield your way back into the main travel lane.

I drive at or under the posted speed limit.
That's the rules. Not for some people, not for some cars, everyone. ( except emergency personal and they have rules to abide by as well )
Every state has published rules and regulations for non-posted streets. You find them at your local DMV - usually their web site if they have one is most convenient.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 17, 2016 04:41PM
BTW...
One of the primary purposes of a turn signal is to alert drivers behind you that you will slowing down to make a turn. Drivers who wait to activate their turn signal AFTER they've already started slowing down for the turn are nimrods. And drivers who wait to activate their turn signals until they're in the middle of the fricking turn (a very popular habit here in Madison) are particularly clueless.

Carry on...

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Date: July 17, 2016 04:46PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
BTW...
One of the primary purposes of a turn signal is to alert drivers behind you that you will slowing down to make a turn.

No turn signal debates in this post, we already had it. smiley-laughing001

Since we were talking about speed limits -- Yellow number signs -- not all yellow traffic signs. Like those posted before a curve.

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 07:15PM by jdc.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: July 17, 2016 04:47PM
On the highway, I do 7 miles per hour over the limit, unless it's a construction zone, in which case I do the limit.

If I see a police officer in the median, I may slow a bit, but am usually comfortable with my 7 mph excess. If there is a police officer in traffic with me, I do not pass, unless they're traveling under the posted limit.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: max
Date: July 17, 2016 04:53PM
jdc

I dont, and I drive at speed I find comfortable.
On Texas interstates, it means 85 to 95, and it will get you there, eventually.
Country roads, here, about 75.
Then again, I am properly equipped and the cops as a routine will give you a 10 mile pass.
I can do Houston to New York run in 23 to 27 hours....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 17, 2016 05:00PM
I used to drive 3000 miles a month for work, it taught me that there was no reason to hurry. The few minutes gained weren't worth the risk or cost. That being said, I also drive with surrounding traffic - on the interstate that usually means going 5-10 over the posted limit. Being an obstruction to freely flowing traffic is just as dangerous as speeding.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 17, 2016 05:30PM
Pennsylvania regs actually dictate that State Troopers can't pull you over for less than 5 over the limit with their radar equipment. I presume this is to account for discrepancies between real speed and radar estimates.

I generally peg the cruise at 4-5mph over the limit in the interstate. Yes, it is breaking the law, but I'm a minor libertarian when it comes to speed laws. Five mph is not going to interfere with anyone else's livelihood, especially when 80% of the drivers are matching or passing me, and a passing lane is readily available.
I generally keep at the limit on two-lane open highways, maybe doing a couple over if there's no other traffic.

In quota-hungry small towns, I go in safe mode. I hold the limit strictly unless I am familiar with the general in-practice "with-traffic" speed patterns (to put it diplomatically) on that stretch of road.

I've only been pulled over when pushing 15 mph over the limit, and both times were in down-hill speed traps where quite frankly a warning would have been more than sufficient to make me behave. In all the other years I've been doing my customary 5-over on the interstate, I have passed many a cop running radars with nary a eye blink from any of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 05:33PM by Acer.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 17, 2016 05:38PM
Can't we all just get along????? grinning smiley
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 17, 2016 06:45PM
What's a speed limit?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 17, 2016 07:40PM
Now that I'm semi retired and do not need to be ANYWHERE in a hurry, I drive pretty much the speed limit. On the interstate, I'll set the cruise about 4-5 mph above the limit.

THat's one of the things I love about living in a rural area. If someone wants to pass, there's always room for them to do so.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 17, 2016 09:48PM
I live in Northern Virginia and use I66 a couple times a week. Speed limit is 55 but everybody, and I mean EVERYBODy, regularly ignores it. 65 is normal and lots of drivers regularly do 70, 75. Very easy to do and get away with it if you are in a crowd of cars, plus, you usually can spot the State Troopers about a mile away.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 17, 2016 09:56PM
I too wish the speed limit was more uniformly enforced. I don't like being the guy doing 70 in a 60, when the apparent normal speed for locals is 80. I haven't checked it for years, but a while back speedometers had to be accurate within 10%. Later it was changed to 5%.

That said, speed clocking equipment has its own margin for error as well. I forget the exact numbers. Basically, getting it within 10% is not that easy, even with GPS and newer tech.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: July 17, 2016 10:09PM
Ombligo
Being an obstruction to freely flowing traffic is just as dangerous as speeding.

THIS.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 18, 2016 12:25AM
Waze now shows if you are driving over the speed limit. One problem is the app has ALWAYS shown an estimated arrival time that has to be using a speed that is at least 4 mph over the limit. It's been doing this since I got my phone in March 2014. So if you drive at a speed that they indicate is legal, you will arrive later than they say you should. Schizophrenic much?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 18, 2016 01:15AM
wish more peeps would use cruise control -- set it an forget it.

Most everywhere here is 65 -- so I usually set mine to 70-71-72 (whatever the flow feels about) and just leave it -- even if I see a cop. They arent looking for you, they are looking for someone else.

Although most cops say "they arent looking for speeders" -- which is a load of crap. Then why hide with unmarked cars? or cars with no light bars? or stand on the side of the road with your radar gun out?

They should just buy a bunch of Priuses painted b/w with huge "CHP" stickers and giant light bars. Then just have them drive the speed limit down whatever freeway they want. EVERYONE will slow down to their speed, or maybe pass them at 1-2 MPH. Instant traffic break.

----

Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 18, 2016 05:57AM
Around me there typically is a 10 mph allowance. posted speed 40, your safe up to about 49-50 I got pulled over for 51 in 40 and got a warning on speed and a ticket for not having proof of insurance. I had it but the cops said he does not accept the phone app proof. It was his way of giving me a ticket that is easy to dismiss and pay a $9 fee then giving me a speeding ticket.

Recently on I-95 they have been promoting the slower traffic keep right rules to prevent slow moving vehicles from sitting in the left lane of a 5 or 6 lane highway. Actually issuing tickets for people going 65 in a 65 one in the left lane where traffic is moving 75-80 mpg. 75-80 is pretty normal traffic speed on I-95.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 18, 2016 08:12AM
space-time
Anyway, as I was driving today back home on a country road, I decided to put my cruise control at 45 which is exactly the speed limit. There was no traffic, but eventually a car approached me from behind. Even though passing was allowed, they didn't pass me, but it was obvious they wanted to go faster.

I don't know what all y'all mean by "country roads" but I grew up in country road territory and the only people who minded the speed limit were tractors. Simply b/c they were unable to go faster. Everyone. And I mean everyone I knew would fly through the mountains. If you were visiting and riding in the passenger seat with a local driving, it was scary as @#$%&. We knew the roads. Every turn. Every bank. Every driveway, entrance and exit and adjusted accordingly. But I guess that's what happens when you live in Bumblefuckville, NC. Other than the one highway that went through, I wouldn't dream of using cruise control anywhere where I grew up. You have to speed up and slow down so much in the turns and straights that cruise would be completely useless.

Posted by: Bixby
Date: July 18, 2016 08:33AM
Isn't it still more economical to drive slower? Above 55mph or so and you're using a lot of power to overcome air resistance, even with today's more aerodynamic cars, correct? That's why the 55mph limit was imposed during the gas crisis?

We spend so much money buying more efficient cars, and then drive at 80mph down the highway...
Posted by: billb
Date: July 18, 2016 09:22AM
Bixby
Isn't it still more economical to drive slower? Above 55mph or so and you're using a lot of power to overcome air resistance, even with today's more aerodynamic cars, correct? That's why the 55mph limit was imposed during the gas crisis?

We spend so much money buying more efficient cars, and then drive at 80mph down the highway...

Ask the law and rule abiding prudent Prius driver watching his mpg gauge as diligently as the mph gauge ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: July 18, 2016 12:49PM
Bixby

Not really. There's other factors at play. Some cars get better MPG at 70 than 60.

Date: July 18, 2016 01:16PM
M A V I C
Some cars get better MPG at 70 than 60.

Please be more specific. That directly contradicts what I learned in the electric vehicle design principles class I took in college.

It is what it is.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 18, 2016 02:36PM
M A V I C
Not really. There's other factors at play. Some cars get better MPG at 70 than 60.

There is truth regarding such a statement in the realm of lower speeds, but at speeds over 60 aerodynamic drag overcomes all of the other factors (because it is proportional to the square of the velocity) so this is not at all true for the 70/60 mph comparison. Plenty of data is available regarding this. Some examples:

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 02:36PM by davester.
Date: July 18, 2016 04:53PM
M A V I C

Could you please post a reference? Thanks
Date: July 18, 2016 05:56PM
davester
There is truth regarding such a statement in the realm of lower speeds, but at speeds over 60 aerodynamic drag overcomes all of the other factors (because it is proportional to the square of the velocity)

For some reason I was remembering this as drag being proportional to the cube of the velocity - some quick Googling cleared things right up for me:

Thus, if drag is proportional to the square of speed, then the power needed to overcome that drag is proportional to the cube of speed.

[physics.info]

Given the design challenges involved in powering electric vehicles, it is entirely appropriate that we focused on determining the power required to overcome drag for such vehicles within the context of that class.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 05:57PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 18, 2016 06:42PM
max
jdc

I dont.

Color me shocked. Some people think they are better than the rest of us and don't care about compromising the safety of others.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 18, 2016 09:09PM
Speedy
Color me shocked. Some people think they are better than the rest of us and don't care about compromising the safety of others.

meh.

Really sounds like MRFs think we just weave in and out of heavy traffic cutting everyone off.

3 AM in morning, no other cars on the road, in a left turn lane. Dont need/use blinker.

----

Date: July 19, 2016 09:30AM
There's been some previous discussion here about cars that get better MPG over 60 than at 60. I don't have time to search for it right now. Work was crazy busy and then someone quit and I get their workload for the next few months while we find a replacement (or reorg).

Anyway, aerodynamics are certainly one factor. Engine design and gearing are others. My understanding of why some cars do better is because of the latter two. Unlike the 70's, we now have cars with 8 speed automatic transmissions. My car only has a 6 speed, but it's effectively 1 gear higher than my previous car. Then the power band it's in while doing 70 is a more efficient spot for the motor.

Date: July 19, 2016 11:47AM
M A V I C
Anyway, aerodynamics are certainly one factor. Engine design and gearing are others. My understanding of why some cars do better is because of the latter two. Unlike the 70's, we now have cars with 8 speed automatic transmissions. My car only has a 6 speed, but it's effectively 1 gear higher than my previous car. Then the power band it's in while doing 70 is a more efficient spot for the motor.

Does not compute.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 19, 2016 06:29PM
1800RPMin one car @70 vs 3200 RPM in another car @70 will have noticeable differences in MPG. And that 1800 RPM car might be doing only 1550 RPM at 60 and out of it's torque band so it needs to downshift and run 2500RPM. Thus using more gas at 60 than 70.
Date: July 19, 2016 06:42PM
Lew Zealand
1800RPMin one car @70 vs 3200 RPM in another car @70 will have noticeable differences in MPG. And that 1800 RPM car might be doing only 1550 RPM at 60 and out of it's torque band so it needs to downshift and run 2500RPM. Thus using more gas at 60 than 70.

That's a different scenario than the one cited by M A V I C:

M A V I C

You are referring to different cars at different speeds; he was referring to the same car at different speeds.

Besides... no. The amount of energy (and thus the amount of fuel) required to travel 20 mph @ 1800 RPM is much less than that required to travel 60 mph @ 1800 RPM. In fact, the delta in the amount of energy required to travel at each speed varies with the square of the velocity (KE = 1/2mv2).

It is what it is.
Date: July 19, 2016 08:43PM
N-OS X-tasy!
...In fact, the delta in the amount of energy required to travel at each speed varies with the square of the velocity (KE = 1/2mv2).

I wanted to point out that correct, kinetic energy has the formula you quoted, but once you reach that speed, if you don't change speed, you don't consume energy to maintain that speed, except for the air friction. The lower MPG at higher speed comes from air friction, not from the kinetic energy of the moving car.
Date: July 19, 2016 10:13PM
The fuel consumption of an engine is not linear with the RPMs. There are sweet spots in the RPMs where engines deliver power more efficiently than others. If the car is geared so the engine is more efficient at 70mph than 60mph, fuel savings can and does occur.

Date: July 20, 2016 02:03AM
M A V I C
The fuel consumption of an engine is not linear with the RPMs. There are sweet spots in the RPMs where engines deliver power more efficiently than others. If the car is geared so the engine is more efficient at 70mph than 60mph, fuel savings can and does occur.

Why are you using a graph of torque vs. RPM to support an argument about power vs. RPM?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 20, 2016 01:58PM
I agree completely that engine tuning and gearing can result in a car that gets close to the same mileage at 60 mph as at 73 mph. My 1986 Civic Si was an example. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I posted them at DM (couldn't find it here) about 11 years ago. Something like 37.5 mpg at 60 and 36.8 mpg at 73. It was less than 1 mpg difference. I had to be careful, going 75 mpg meant the secondaries would open up and mileage would drop to the low 30's.

I don't doubt that different tuning and gearing might have gotten me 42 mpg at 60 mph. That's a slightly different conversation.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 20, 2016 02:49PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Why are you using a graph of torque vs. RPM to support an argument about power vs. RPM?

Trying to point out that it's not linear, but without much time to find a good graph smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015