The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Samsung Refrigerator Update
Posted by: Buck
Date: July 19, 2016 10:56AM
Last year I replaced my very old fridge with a Samsung that looks like this:
[www.homedepot.com]

It's on sale everywhere for a reason. Many problems, especially related to VERY LOUD noises of all kinds. This cannot be simply from expanding/contracting.

I will probably sell mine on CL, and buy something else.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Samsung Refrigerator Update
Posted by: tortoise
Date: July 19, 2016 11:15AM
I asked our appliance repair person (small independent with 30+ years experience) for a recommendation prior to purchasing all new appliances during recent remodel. He said to avoid Samsung and LG like the plague as they have very high incidence of repairs and replacement parts are difficult to impossible to order. He recommended either KitchenAid or Whirlpool/Maytag for quality and reliability and we went with KitchenAid based on past good experience with the brand.

One particularly scary story he mentioned with the Samsung line was failure of microswitch that turns off the interior lights allowing them to stay on full time and melt the plastic components they are mounted in and that replacements parts were impossible to order. That was all I needed to hear to go back to KitchenAid even though the wife liked the appearance of the Samsung.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 19, 2016 11:27AM
.....well, way back there were issues with Samsung LCD TVs......and them using cheap capacitors which caused a lot of problems....then they played the denial game about free repairs........think people eventually tried class action......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 19, 2016 12:08PM
My Samsung refrigerator (coincidentally from HomeDepot) arrived DOA. Samsung wouldn't take it back and wouldn't issue a refund until it was tested and inspected by 2 separate service techs. Nearly 30 days and this wasn't simply and upgrade, the former frig had died. Don't get me going on HD. When I complained to them, they sent me to the manufacturer. Samsung sent me back to HD, where they promptly showed me that contacting the manufacturer fully released them from all obligation in dealing with the issue. I'm usually pretty good on catching contractual fine print but I missed that one, but I'm sure they knew full well when the sent me on that route. (And, I paid cash, so no recourse with a CC company).
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 19, 2016 12:37PM
Did you get a refund eventually? Or they replaced the fridge?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 19, 2016 12:43PM
FYI--While I usually do not purchase Extended Warranties. I did purchase on with my LG refrigerator 2 years ago. After I purchased it, I found out the RC Willey will credit me 50% of the price I paid for the extended warranty it I did't use it. The Salesman did not mention it during purchase, but he mentioned it in a hand written thank you card after my purchase.

Here is the info
[www.rcwilley.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 19, 2016 01:00PM
TLB
My Samsung refrigerator (coincidentally from HomeDepot) arrived DOA. Samsung wouldn't take it back and wouldn't issue a refund until it was tested and inspected by 2 separate service techs. Nearly 30 days and this wasn't simply and upgrade, the former frig had died. Don't get me going on HD. When I complained to them, they sent me to the manufacturer. Samsung sent me back to HD, where they promptly showed me that contacting the manufacturer fully released them from all obligation in dealing with the issue. I'm usually pretty good on catching contractual fine print but I missed that one, but I'm sure they knew full well when the sent me on that route. (And, I paid cash, so no recourse with a CC company).

Sorry that you are having to deal with this but you contacted Samsung on a DOA unit instead of going
straight back to HD first? I've never had Home Depot to question anything on a satisfaction return.
Another reason to never use cash on a major purchase.

Grateful11
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: July 19, 2016 01:23PM
tortoise
I asked our appliance repair person (small independent with 30+ years experience) for a recommendation prior to purchasing all new appliances during recent remodel. He said to avoid Samsung and LG like the plague as they have very high incidence of repairs and replacement parts are difficult to impossible to order. He recommended either KitchenAid or Whirlpool/Maytag for quality and reliability and we went with KitchenAid based on past good experience with the brand.

One particularly scary story he mentioned with the Samsung line was failure of microswitch that turns off the interior lights allowing them to stay on full time and melt the plastic components they are mounted in and that replacements parts were impossible to order. That was all I needed to hear to go back to KitchenAid even though the wife liked the appearance of the Samsung.

tortoise,

How do you like your KitchenAid appliances? We are doing our kitchen and are looking at all KitchenAid except for the refrigerator. For the fridge we're looking at LG. We don't like the KitchenAid Fridges.

Steve
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 19, 2016 01:34PM
From the reviews:

"Exchange has to be done by Samsung since Home Depot does not participate in exchanges due to defect. However, Samsung will not refund the tax we paid on the unit."

"Home Depot gives you 48 hours to return a defective item."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: raz
Date: July 19, 2016 01:35PM
Our KitchenAid small appliances have been trouble free for as long as we've own them. The standing mixer has to be over 20 years old.

I had to replace the top rack rollers on our new KA dishwasher after 6 months (KA sent me a new set at no charge - apparently, it was a bad design and they're just taking care of it).

The micro switches on the over-the-range KA microwave died after 3 months. Again, taken care of by KA under warranty. (Don't get me started on the runaround I got from the place we bought it).

So, color me mixed.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 01:36PM by raz.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 19, 2016 01:47PM
I was going to replace our fridge last year and after reading all the reviews I decided not to.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 19, 2016 02:25PM
space-time

I got a refund. Took a while and I don't remember if I ate the sales tax or not. They also abandoned the defective unit and I had to dispose of it. As to Home Depot's 48 hr return on a defective item mentioned above, I contacted them within 24 hours when the refrigerator didn't cool down. They directed me to Samsung and when Samsung was slow to action I went back and HD said it was out of their hands since I now had an open case with Samsung. I don't know but suspect the misdirection was intentional on HD's part.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: July 19, 2016 04:43PM
kurtzie
tortoise

tortoise,

How do you like your KitchenAid appliances? We are doing our kitchen and are looking at all KitchenAid except for the refrigerator. For the fridge we're looking at LG. We don't like the KitchenAid Fridges.

Steve

We are very satisfied with refrigerator, range/oven and dishwasher all KitchenAid purchased from local Sears on a substantial sale around memorial day two years ago. No issues so far, and based on our previous experience with KA we elected to gamble and skip the expensive extended warranties so prevalent these days. Seems somehow very wrong that after paying astronomical prices for modern appliances these days we still need to purchase extended warranty for peace of mind?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 19, 2016 08:16PM
TLB
space-time

I got a refund. Took a while and I don't remember if I ate the sales tax or not. They also abandoned the defective unit and I had to dispose of it. As to Home Depot's 48 hr return on a defective item mentioned above, I contacted them within 24 hours when the refrigerator didn't cool down. They directed me to Samsung and when Samsung was slow to action I went back and HD said it was out of their hands since I now had an open case with Samsung. I don't know but suspect the misdirection was intentional on HD's part.

That's pretty crappy. Sounds like HD knew exactly what they were doing. Good to know as I will never buy
an appliance from HD.

You may return most new, unopened items sold by The Home Depot within 90 days of purchase for a full refund, however, if your purchase was made with The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge, or The Home Depot Commercial Account, you have 365 days from date of purchase to receive a full refund, unless otherwise noted below. All Existing Return Policy rules apply.

Major Appliances: Any Major Appliance products that are defective or damaged should be refused upon delivery; if delivery is complete, damage and/or defects must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-877-946-9843.

Grateful11
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 20, 2016 12:27AM
We have had a Samsung Fridge with water and ice in door for about 5 years now. French door similar to the one posted. We were actually going to purchase another one to replace the current one, but I was able to convince the wife to hold off for a bit longer.

As for appliances, we purchase them at lowes . Better customer service.
Posted by: ADent
Date: July 20, 2016 02:50AM
Our 10 year old Whirlpool is not as good as we hoped.

2 ice makers
1 IR ice detector
1 main cooling fan
1 new shelf (weld broke)
1 drawer bracket
1 new computer mainboard (on original design when a light bulb blows out, it takes this $200 computer board with it).
lots of ice maker line freeze ups, until I built a fort out of masking tape around the feed line
vacuuming coils under fridge is not really possible, but if you blow them out with output of shop vac it works OK, but creates a huge, giant dust cloud with dust everywhere.

Parts are readily available though.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 20, 2016 06:30AM
Several months ago we replaced all of our appliances with Samsung as part of a kitchen remodel. We love the fridge and yea, it does make some noise at times. Probably the compressor. We can hear it if were in the kitchen but not out of the kitchen. I could see the noise being an issue in certain environments. The fridge cools very well, layout is excellent, lots of LED lighting inside so very easy to find things.

On the downside, the finish is fragile. The appliances arrived 2 weeks before we were ready to install (except oven) and the delivery team had to disassemble the fridge to get it in the house. Took off all the doors and hinges. After inside, they reboxed everything. However two weeks later we noticed a small ding in the fridge. We called Best Buy and due to the time from delivery they could not do anything, however the credited us back $100 and also gave us a $100 store credit toward future purchases. We were satisfied with that.

We did check with a tech about repairs since I had heard that Samsung and LG pars were hard to come by and he said the have gotten much better. Samsung typically has anything they need in stock and will ship it for 1-2 day delivery for warranty repairs. Out of warranty typically takes a day or two longer. He also told us that overall their products are very reliable but as wth any brand, as you move into the latest technology there are a lot more parts involved, so figuring out what's broken can be more difficult.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 20, 2016 01:55PM
Hi everyone,

I found it interesting that Tortoise's appliance repair guy said that Whirlpool/Maytag for quality and reliability. Although I'm not a huge fan of Consumer Reports, one thing they do reasonably well is compile reliability stats for major appliances. The results may surprise you.

Here's an example:

Consumer Reports doesn't recommend Whirlpool models with bottom-freezers and icemakers. (These aren't the same as french-door style fridges.)

There is also a question of which manufacturer is behind the name.

[www.appliance411.com]

Products sold by Sears are especially interesting since they are made for them by major manufacturers. A few years ago, I was able to tell who was making Kenmore fridges just by comparing the Kenmore model of choice to competitors.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018