advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Many older iPads to become obsolete with new iOS 10 - good for AAPL
Posted by: Drew
Date: July 20, 2016 08:44AM
"Here’s the thing: The iPad saturated its addressable market so quickly and the iPads are so well made and last so damn long that unless Apple provides a really compelling reason to upgrade, most people are just not upgrading yet. We handed off our original iPads to relatives a couple years ago and they’re still being used! Yes, they lack sensors to support many modern iPad games, but they are still in use. We also have immediate family members still using perfectly working iPad 2, iPad 3, and older iPad Air and mini models. The obsolescence cycle for iPad rivals that of the Mac. It’s very long."

[macdailynews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2016 08:44AM by Drew.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Many older iPads to become obsolete with new iOS 10 - good for AAPL
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 20, 2016 08:54AM
.....Apple always does this.....force upgrades by make stuff obsolete.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 20, 2016 09:01AM
NewtonMP2100

I wouldn't call not being able to run the latest software "obsolete". We bought the 2 when it came out and I would still be happily using mine if I hadn't accidentally dropped it a few years ago. My wife doesn't feel the need to upgrade hers and I'm guessing I'll be using my Air for sometime (unless I drop it). Depends on the user, of course.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 20, 2016 09:01AM
This is an interesting article about RTR (Right to Repair)

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Apple Is Fighting A Secret War To Keep You From Repairing Your Phone
The company has repeatedly opposed legislation that would help, experts say.

Apple spent nearly 10 minutes trumpeting green initiatives, including Liam, at the beginning of a March 2016 keynote event. But it has repeatedly opposed “right to repair” legislation in the United States.

“Currently, electronics companies are running a repair monopoly. This repair monopoly, and the subsequent lack of competition, leads to higher costs for consumers and businesses,” Cronin said via emailed statement.

---
Date: July 20, 2016 09:03AM
mstudio
NewtonMP2100

I wouldn't call not being able to run the latest software "obsolete". We bought the 2 when it came out and I would still be happily using mine if I hadn't accidentally dropped it a few years ago. My wife doesn't feel the need to upgrade hers and I'm guessing I'll be using my Air for sometime (unless I drop it). Depends on the user, of course.

....the usual m.o. is that they will stop making OS updates for "unsupported' models.....soon certain apps won't work......eventually, you have an iPad that works but limited......

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 20, 2016 09:12AM
My original Mini is rather sluggish since the upgrade to uOS 9. Can't imagine that 10 would be better. I can't really justify it, but I am tempted by the refurb Mini 4s...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 20, 2016 09:17AM
I haven't bothered to update my iPad 3 to the latest version of iOS. Screw Apple.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 20, 2016 09:46AM
Speedy
I haven't bothered to update my iPad 3 to the latest version of iOS. Screw Apple.

latest iOS works fine on my IP3 but i guess i'm out after this. guess it's getting near time to pull the trigger on an Air or Mini. and more AAPL stock.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: July 20, 2016 11:33AM
I don't know why I use my iPad one...

Hoping.

Screaming at it.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 20, 2016 12:08PM
I dropped my iPad 2 and it landed on the edge and did an incredible amount of damage, but it still works. The screen is cracked and it can't be used without slicing up your fingertips, but it still works. That's the only thing that forced me to upgrade.

I've been saying for several years 'Maybe this will mark the upgrade window of iPads' and every year Apple continues to make the older iPads compatible with the newest OS then lament the poor iPad sales.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 20, 2016 12:58PM
NewtonMP2100
mstudio
NewtonMP2100

....the usual m.o. is that they will stop making OS updates for "unsupported' models.....soon certain apps won't work......eventually, you have an iPad that works but limited......

Tru dat.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 20, 2016 01:05PM
Just buy an Android tablet, I'm sure they support their models longer than Apple. That's what competition is for.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 20, 2016 01:31PM
Lew Zealand
Just buy an Android tablet, I'm sure they support their models longer than Apple.

I think you should add the "/s" fake mark-up, Lew…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2016 01:31PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 20, 2016 01:56PM
Speedy

Theres this thing called "technology" that advances pretty rapidly these days...

iP3 is 4 1/2 years old? And runs the latest iO S9 -- but you wont update to it -- and you are upset it wont run iOS 10?

So the minute iOS10 comes out and it wont run it, its useless?

I get the rant, but not sure it applies here?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 20, 2016 02:12PM
jdc
Speedy

Theres this thing called "technology" that advances pretty rapidly these days...

iP3 is 4 1/2 years old? And runs the latest iO S9 -- but you wont update to it -- and you are upset it wont run iOS 10?

I'm not upset it won't run iOS 10. However, I'm not impressed with Apple lately. Not mutually exclusive.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 20, 2016 02:19PM
iDiots short film on Vimeo.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 20, 2016 02:32PM
Speedy
I'm not upset it won't run iOS 10. However, I'm not impressed with Apple lately. Not mutually exclusive.

That's valid. I'm in that camp. I guess I just didn't see how your post conveyed that. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 20, 2016 03:11PM
jdc
Speedy

That's valid. I'm in that camp. I guess I just didn't see how your post conveyed that. =)

I should have made two paragraphs. Separate thoughts. Occasionally I have them.

Date: July 20, 2016 03:49PM
Article Accelerator
Lew Zealand
Just buy an Android tablet, I'm sure they support their models longer than Apple.

I think you should add the "/s" fake mark-up, Lew…

Oops!
Date: July 20, 2016 03:50PM
Speedy
jdc
Speedy

Agreed.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 20, 2016 05:36PM
I have an original iPad that's like the Energizer Bunny. I use it almost daily, and it keeps going and going and going...

Sure, the battery only holds about a 4 hour charge now, and I keep waiting for something major to fry out, but so far it still works fine. Not having the latest OS isn't a problem for me as long as it does what I want it to.

I'll buy the latest and greatest when I can't use this thing any longer. I feel I definitely got my moneys worth out of this one.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: July 20, 2016 06:26PM
Mine is an iPad 3, 128 GBs, Verizon cell. Works like a champ.

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 20, 2016 06:55PM
In 2014, I bought an iPad Mini. I got a good deal on a 64GB that had Verizon cellular capability mainly because it ran iOS6. I HATED iOS7 and, have been very careful to keep it at iOS6 (I do have an iPad Air running iOS9).

Even running iOS6, it's still a very capable and versatile unit.
Date: July 20, 2016 06:56PM
iPad 3 and Mini 2 here. The amazing thing abut the 3 is that it plays games very well for a 4+ year old mobile device, especially as it was the only iPad not to get a CPU speed increase despite the 4x pixel count it had to deal with vs. the 2. The big GPU speed and RAM size increase it did get makes all the difference.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 20, 2016 07:38PM
I blame all of you for the fact that I caved and ordered a refurb Mini 4.
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 20, 2016 11:39PM
<<I haven't bothered to update my iPad 3 to the latest version of iOS. Screw Apple.
>>

God I love you.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 21, 2016 09:10AM
We have an original iPad (64 GB) that's almost useless when it comes to viewing web pages. Safari and Google apps quit frequently when looking up recipes and such. Tried alternate browsers, still quits. Very frustrating.

I think modern web pages just overwhelm the dated hardware.

"The first-generation iPad features an Apple A4 SoC, which comprises a 1 GHz processor, 256 MB of RAM and a PowerVR SGX535 GPU."

single core processor, single core GPU, 640 KB of L2 cache.

the A5 and A5x greatly improved on those specs.

---
Date: July 21, 2016 09:13AM
decay
We have an original iPad (64 GB) that's almost useless when it comes to viewing web pages. Safari and Google apps quit frequently when looking up recipes and such. Tried alternate browsers, still quits. Very frustrating.

I think modern web pages just overwhelm the dated hardware.

"The first-generation iPad features an Apple A4 SoC, which comprises a 1 GHz processor, 256 MB of RAM and a PowerVR SGX535 GPU."

single core processor, single core GPU, 640 KB of L2 cache.

the A5 and A5x greatly improved on those specs.

.....this.....

........becomes limited in use.....so you basically have to upgrade.....

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 21, 2016 11:48AM
decay

Did it work that badly with the original iOS? It's a shame you can't revert to an earlier version. I think it has been obvious that Apple has been all about hardware updates for about the last 10 years. Have you watched the iDiots movie and considered how it relates to what newer versions of iOS do to your iPad?

If Apple makes 32 GB standard on the iPhone SE, it will be an ominous sign for all iOS devices.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018