advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend a vacuum cleaner?
Posted by: Sam Cowan
Date: January 12, 2006 03:33PM
The ol' Hoover is fading fast, time for a new vacuum cleaner. I hear Dyson is the way to go, but they are pretty pricey.

Any recommendations for under $300 or so? Myself, my wife, and our two long-haired always-shedding cats would be very appreciative.

I have a large house with stairs - vacuuming the stairs sucks!

Thanks!
Sam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2006 03:37PM by Sam Cowan.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend a vacuum cleaner?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2006 03:39PM
I find the Dyson's over-rated (but that is just my opinion)

Miele though they are a bit expensive. Get one of the lower priced models.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: January 12, 2006 04:06PM
My sister & mom both swear by the Panasonic ones. (sorry no model # for ya)

I know they got them at a local B&M - Target I think (It's their fav)

Around $150 to $175 - works great on hardwood & carpet and gets the cat hair.

Date: January 12, 2006 04:13PM
there was guy at DM that used to be a vacuum person (I think it was Chris #1) he disappeared but he used to recommend the Panasonics too (at least from what I can remember from my swiss cheese memory)

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: January 12, 2006 04:18PM
I think they got pretty good marks from CR too

Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 12, 2006 04:18PM
Still really happy with my Miele Red Star. Busts your budget, but it's a great vacuum cleaner. I find the canister design to be much more versatile than the uprights, it's well-constructed and ultra-quiet. An easy 10-15 year investment, for sure.
Date: January 12, 2006 04:22PM
My parents have a Panasonic. ..good suction (hehehe) and the retractable power cord is great (good idea that I have not seen very often)

Date: January 12, 2006 04:28PM
Cool, thanks guys.

Hmmm, I am really considering the Miele now. Looks like it got some great reviews, even if it is spendy. Probably better to spend $600 for something that lasts instead of $200-300 for something that won't, I guess. A canister vacuum would be better for the stairs too, I bet. I'll check the Panasonics too, but Miele has caught my attention! Looks like it has a 5-year warranty on the motor, too.

How do you pronounce that? Meal? My-lay? Not the best time for me to lay out that kind of $, but the cats won't stop shedding and tracking in yard stuff, no matter how nice I ask.
Date: January 12, 2006 04:36PM
I think it is pronounced ME-LAY. German?

Note the miele refill bags are smaller than normal and pricey too. Just factor that into the maintenance.

The panansonc refill bags are bigger.

With the Miele some of their lower end models don't have the HEPA filters. So if you want one with it, you might have to pay a bit more for it. Also factor in the cost for replacing this filter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2006 04:38PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 12, 2006 04:40PM
It's German, so "MEE-luh."

If you ever have to vacuum under a bed, you'll really appreciate the angled arm that rotates 180°. The Red Star does support HEPA filters. And yes, the consumables are spendy (bags, replacement filters).
Posted by: freescotland
Date: January 12, 2006 05:03PM
The Dyson may be overrated, but it is also a pretty decent vac.
Posted by: elmo3
Date: January 12, 2006 05:04PM
Try one of the $80 or so bagless name-brand models from Target/K-Mart, and see what you think.

I think you'll be amazed at what has happened in vacuum cleaners within the last several years.

Even if you then decide to get an expensive one, you'll still have this as a backup--and, more importantly, you'll know more about just *why* you want the expensive one.

Vacuum cleaner performance that used to cost $300-$500 is now $80...

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: Randalls
Date: January 12, 2006 05:09PM
What freescotland said. We have the yellow "pet" model and with 2 cats and a dog it really picks up. The handle serves double duty as a wand for stairs. They also carry them at the local Costco if you have one available...so you can take it back if you don't like it.

Date: January 12, 2006 05:12PM
I hate bagless ones. . .dust everywhere. ..just a mess. . .unless they have changed recently.

Date: January 12, 2006 06:01PM
Wow, decisions, decisions... Thanks again for the recommendations, and keep 'em coming!
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: January 12, 2006 06:07PM
I post this about 1x/year, but I had the low-end Miele Plus, and after a few years replaced it w/a Bosch canister which in many ways (but not all) I like better. Mainly, that you can get a Bosch w/HEPA, electric motor head at the floor, etc, for half -or less- than the comp Miele. Not quite as refined in its look or feel of its controls, but the motor is great, electric head works well on carpet Or bare floors (a big bonus over Miele), cord is a long 32' or so, bags are huge compared to Mieles, and it's Filtration is I believe every bit as good as Miele's -that's really the most important thing.

fwiw, The Bosch is made in Germany. The lower-end Miele's are built in the far east somewhere. If I had unlimited funds though, I'd get the most expensive Miele I could find in the color of my choice.
Posted by: bill b
Date: January 12, 2006 06:16PM
Unless I wasn't living in a house, I'd never own anything but a central vacuum ever again.

I've installed a few of them and the first one I did is still working great after 21 years.

That first one didn't have a pencil trap, so I made my own.
Posted by: jawg
Date: January 12, 2006 07:09PM
Eureka Optima lightweight upright. The best $60 you'll ever spend, that right sixty dollars for a real upright vacuum with powered brush bar and on board tools. Bagless and high tech design. Cleaning effectiveness rating of 33 (an industry standard, with many more expensive models rating in the teens and twenties.) Target and Bed, Bath, & Beyond have them. Check it out.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 12, 2006 07:28PM
Say the word Tri-Star or Compac to any vacuum repair person - they will tell you it means quality. These are canister vacs so stairs are easier. A tri-star vacuum will last you 30+ years (I've had mine since 1986; bought used for $250 then).

Dyson doesn't hold a candle to these.

New they can cost $2000 but check ebay and you'll spend $300.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 12, 2006 08:10PM
Eureka BOSS 4870 Consumer Reports Best Buy about $140. the 4875 is essentially the same thing.

PM me your e-mail and I can send you the CR scans I made for Sequoia this summer when he asked on dealmac.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 12, 2006 10:08PM
Hoover Fusion Cyclonic Upright Vacuum, Model U5180, only $128!
[www.walmart.com]

Best vacuum ever, my Mom used mine, returned her $500 Dyson.

BGnR
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 12, 2006 10:26PM
I vote for an Oreck... But, that's just me... However, only had it for a few weeks... My grandma has had one for over 10 years...

Here's my vacuum thread from about 30 days ago...

<[forums.macresource.com];

Bill
Date: January 13, 2006 05:19AM
Yay! I'm off to do some heavy researchin'. Probably start with one of the cheaper models and take it from there. Thanks for the info and links!
Date: July 05, 2006 04:08PM
Whoa, been a while... In case anyone searches, I went with the $60 Eureka Optima and LOVE it. Kinda small, but other than that, it outperformed older vacuums I had bought in the past for hundreds of dollars more. Highly recommended!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018