advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
More Windows 10 stuff
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 29, 2016 07:11PM
I am installing it in a copy of my Windows 7 VM. It's been installing for at least four hours…it's at 99% now. I guess compared to the movement of glaciers, it's moving right along.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More Windows 10 stuff
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 29, 2016 07:18PM
installed smooth on a 2010 Dell M4500 a few days ago, now I am installing it on a e7250
Date: July 29, 2016 07:24PM
space-time
installed smooth on a 2010 Dell M4500 a few days ago, now I am installing it on a e7250

I would expect it to be very slow in a VM, but still… what happens if I put the system to sleep? I don't want to leave it running in this heat.
Date: July 29, 2016 07:27PM
I think the free upgrade deadline is TODAY, so you want to make sure you finish the installation tonight.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 29, 2016 07:35PM
Once you have completed the download for installation, it should continue fine if you have to restart it at a later time.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 29, 2016 07:55PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Once you have completed the download for installation, it should continue fine if you have to restart it at a later time.

I did download it. The installation is still stuck at 99%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 07:55PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: jardster
Date: July 29, 2016 08:33PM
I upgraded my parallels VM the other day... took probably 45 mins total to download and install. Been fine so far.

Date: July 29, 2016 08:40PM
I have shut it down for now. The update never finished, for hours it seemed to be holding at 99%, then last time I looked, the update installer seemed to have quit. The VM is still on Windows 7 Pro. Relaunching the update installer starts all over again at 0%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 08:40PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 30, 2016 12:30AM
How are you running the VM? Is it certified to run a Win10 VM? Are you running OS 10.10.5?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 30, 2016 07:13AM
upgraded a fresh Windows 7 VM last night, took a little over 30 minutes, no issues with the upgrade.
Date: July 30, 2016 07:52AM
Filliam H. Muffman
How are you running the VM? Is it certified to run a Win10 VM? Are you running OS 10.10.5?

Parallels 10, Mavericks. At the beginning of the process, the system was deemed OK for the upgrade.
Date: July 30, 2016 07:56AM
ka jowct
Filliam H. Muffman

Parallels 10, Mavericks. At the beginning of the process, the system was deemed OK for the upgrade.

same here, 10.9.5, Parallels 10 (latest version, I downloaded last night from web site, entered activation code on the back of the CD that came with a Mac about 1-2 years ago). Installed Dell Windows 7, It told me it was not genuine, I activated it, Microsoft said activation was successful, so now I have a "genuine" Windows 7 Virtual machine.

made a copy of that VM, upon reboot I got the prompt to update to windows 10, which went smooth.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 30, 2016 03:32PM
I'm 1 for 2.

My laptop was no problem, although it took several hours for the download.

However, my desktop, which I really don't use anymore, said the display was not compatible so the upgrade wouldn't proceed past the check. My guess is it was really talking about the video card, a Radeon 3650, rather than the actual display which is a Dell 2407.

I didn't sweat the desktop, partly because I don't use it, but also because it was a Media Center machine and would lose Media Center capability under Windows 10. I didn't think to try a newer driver for the video card until later but I guess I'm ok staying with Windows 7.

As an aside, I have had Windows Update problems with both machines. I managed to get the laptop fixed (now irrelevant with Windows 10), but have tried a bunch of things with the desktop and nothing has worked. The Windows Update Diagnostic tool says it "fixed" the problems (running it back-to-back "fixes" problems again) but no go. It just stays "Checking for Updates" perpetually.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 361
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018