advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tips on finding Power Steering Fluid Leak in a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cyl
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 05, 2016 11:40PM
I have the responsibility of finding the leak in this 2002 Toyota Camry.

I can clean it off with power washer, but don't have the need to purchase an expensive UV light kit and dye to detect exactly what part is leaking.

Do you think if I take a power washer and clean off the lower part of the engine ...Back of PS pump, PS ugh pressure hose, and Rack and Pinion, I could determine the leak?

I don't want to just start to replace parts. Even if it is the High Pressure hose, it looks like a tight fit to get the hose installed.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tips on finding Power Steering Fluid Leak in a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cyl
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 05, 2016 11:45PM
Power steering? Clean it all off, start the car and have someone turn the wheel back and forth lock to lock with the car parked. You should be able to see the fluid spraying out when the pump is going full pressure.

Make sure you don't do the lock to lock turning while stopped on an asphalt surface, you might chew it all up.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: August 06, 2016 07:29AM
I wouldn't power wash your engine..it's not good for it in any way..especially on a 2002 vehicle

...power washers are sort of scourging - do not use decks or cars and a whole lot of other stuff too

Cris has the answer..set up a test and do some observation under pressure..
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 06, 2016 10:17AM
I had a leak in a 1998 Lexus ES300, essentially the same car. The tubing just below the reservoir had failed/rotted out IIRC (it was a ~13 year old car at that point). I'd check that first.
Date: August 06, 2016 11:05AM
Ok, I thought about it, and stayed away from power washer. Especially after i saw what it did to a brick the other day I spilled paint. No permanent damage, but more power than needed for auto.

So I sprayed degreaser in the area in the back where the PS Pump is and hoses connect. Then did a Water Hose spray off. Then I drove it to Costco to be first for Tire Rotation and Balance.

When I got to Costco at 6:30 a.m, I opened the hood, and most of the water had dried, from the rinse off., but I saw this: Looks to be a leak at the High Pressure Hose at area it attaches to pump.

Now to determine if I can tackle the job

Went to buy the Edelman High Pressure hose, but they were out, and will have it in by 11-12
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 06, 2016 11:09AM
same thing happened to many Honda, they had a recall on this. My former 2002 Odyssey was not on the recall list. The hose was about $100 and the labor about 225. Give or take, I don't recall exact numbers. Apparently it was more difficult on that V6 engine. I looked at YouTube videos and decided to let a pro do it.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 06, 2016 11:34AM
I fixed a steering rack leak with a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop-Leak.

The alternative would have been installing new rack for several hundred bucks.
Date: August 06, 2016 03:39PM
$80 with Tax for High Pressure Hose.

$65 for labor to install from local place I have been before, that is very reasonable.

He put that torgue thing on top passenger side that looks like a motor mount for nothing. So I gave him $80.

Well worth it for not having a Rack to lift it up on. And most of the work he did was from the bottom.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 06, 2016 05:04PM
Microman
$80 with Tax for High Pressure Hose.

$65 for labor to install from local place I have been before, that is very reasonable.

He put that torgue thing on top passenger side that looks like a motor mount for nothing. So I gave him $80.

Well worth it for not having a Rack to lift it up on. And most of the work he did was from the bottom.

Sounds right, I think that's exactly what my repair was as well (I didn't do it myself).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020