advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
DIrecTV
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 20, 2016 07:34PM
We have been with Dish for 17 years - but there is a current dispute between Dish and Tribune media which has caused us to lose Fox - and for die hard Seahawks fans, this is NOT acceptable.

We have no cable, nor other means of TV - OTA is not an option due to terrain.

Looking for real world opinions of DirecTV - looking at the packages boggles my mind. Currently we have all the channels on Dish with several premiums - don't have the Hopper, as it wasn't available when we last upgraded.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DIrecTV
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 20, 2016 07:58PM
The best part of DirecTV has been the NFL Sunday Ticket. Sometimes they run a promotion that gives you Sunday Ticker free for the first year when you switch. All the Sunday games including one channel that shows several games at once.

Posted by: CW2V
Date: August 20, 2016 08:04PM
I've been happy with DirecTV for several years in terms of customer service. Once I wanted to cancel to get through a cash strapped stretch, they immediately cut my monthly costs in half for a year, and gave me free premium channels for 3 months. Another time I complained about the ever growing tree in front of my yard making it impossible to get HD reception (definitely not something they should be responsible for). The only reason I ever got DirecTV was for the NFL Sunday ticket, -- which looks bad comparatively in standard definition. They first did not want to help me (this was after AT&T had acquired them) but once transferred over to customer retention I got a kindly fellow ("Hello, and thank you for keeping me employed for the past seven years!") They sent someone out for free the next day (weekend) and install the dish on a pole in a different location on my property that fixed the HD problem, AND I got NFL Sunday Ticket for free, AND a lowered price for 12 months...

That said, once AT&T takes complete control, I expect customer service to change. And, as always, any storm clouds to the south brings the good chance of signal interruption. As a matter of fact, it just happened right now.... YMMV

CW2V
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 20, 2016 09:46PM
Thanks for that review, CW. We have been thinking of going with Direct TV. Antenna now, and it's good, but want a bit more.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: August 20, 2016 10:29PM
I use the site https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/537834-can-you-negotiate-with-directv/ every year to renegotiate my contract with Directv. I love the quality of the service, and with a bit of haggling, get great deals. I would think as a new customer you should hold out for the type of offers renegotiates are getting in the most recent forum postings, which seems like free Sunday Ticket, $200 visa card, and half off for a year plus more off for movie channels.

[clearedready.blogspot.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 21, 2016 05:36AM
The main downsides are:

weather outages
2 year contract for new customers
no realistic cable internet

We used them for years and had no real complaints other than costs constantly creeping up

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: August 21, 2016 07:53AM
In my area, DirecTV is selling through Sam's Club. I got a $300 Sam's gift card for switching from Dish about a year ago. I see the Direc reps are still in Sam's almost every time I'm in there.

If you are going to switch, might as will get a bonus.

Fred
Date: August 21, 2016 08:12AM
Oh me, contract, eh? That does it for me... no.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 21, 2016 08:19AM
My experience with DirecTV is mixed.

Good:

Quality & reliability of signal is good. We have it in our winter home in FL.

Bad:

Reps lied to us 4 times, telling us we would get what we wanted but it did not happen. Finally, on the 5th call (each lasts an hour or so), I got someone who explained why each call did not work and what it took to get our package right. Each of the 5 steps involved a price increase. All has been fine since.

Installation took most of a day. Supervisor had to come out to reposition dish to get good reception.

Since we put the service on hold for 6 months (no monthly pymt) our contract is extended by that amount each year. It will take us 6 years to consume a 3 year contract. Of course this is in the fine print, but was not mentioned when we signed up.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Date: August 21, 2016 08:38AM
Now I've gone from wanting directtv to no, I'll stick with my 10 channel antenna.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 21, 2016 11:09AM
GuyGene
Now I've gone from wanting directtv to no, I'll stick with my 10 channel antenna.
I'm lucky, get 30+ usable (Don't speak Korean, Basque, or Farsi; nor do 'shopping TV') OTA channels. Plus streaming from Prime, etc.
But, for my internet...

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 21, 2016 11:30AM
I'm thinking about having my client switch from DirectTV to Dish. Think I can drop their bill by $40 or so and still hit most of their channels....
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 21, 2016 05:48PM
Don't do it silvarios. When I bought my RV in 2014, the dealership recommended Dish satellite TV service. I "bit" and, each month's bill with Dish was a fight. I finally just dropped them completely. If you can hear words coming out of a Dish rep's mouth, he's lying.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 22, 2016 11:09AM
testcase
Don't do it silvarios. When I bought my RV in 2014, the dealership recommended Dish satellite TV service. I "bit" and, each month's bill with Dish was a fight. I finally just dropped them completely. If you can hear words coming out of a Dish rep's mouth, he's lying.

Understood. I can let them know the "suggested" price point, but be willing to bicker when things go south. Or keep DirectTV for now. They have a crap deal at the moment, won't cut the package down and won't renegotiate. I told them to cancel it for three months and see how they adjust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015