advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using a Nest Smoke alarm?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 23, 2016 07:36AM
Our "new to us" house has some pretty ancient smoke alarms. One of which just went off and freaked out my wife and daughter. No smoke anywhere. Wife figures it may have been steam from the shower. Anyway, I replaced all the batteries when we moved in and tested them. But I figured most of them are probably past due to be swapped out. So i was thinking I might get a couple of the Nest alarms to go with my thermostat. I've read the 1G ones were horrible and the 2G ones are better. Just not sure if I want to spend that much.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: August 23, 2016 07:45AM
We have them as well as the thermostat. LOVE the thermostat but the smoke alarms not so much. Not sure which ones we have but we have had periods where they've gone off due to smokey cooking or whoknowswhat and they are LOUD.

Me? I'd have been happy with the regular battery type but the SO is a gadget geek.

Plus doesn't Google own them now? When we heard they got sold we wondered how long the products out there will be supported or what the quality will be going forward.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using a Nest Smoke alarm?
Posted by: jardster
Date: August 23, 2016 07:53AM
I've got a few Nest Smoke alarms and have been happy with them. I know there have been reports of lots of false positives, but I haven't seen any with the 3 of mine. I like them because it will send me an alert if something is going on... it does a self test... and I can check on it with my phone. I've been very happy with them.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 23, 2016 09:53AM
FWIW....
1- Smoke alarms have a useful life of 10 years. They need to be replaced after that. Not just the battery. I like the '10 year models' which have a high end battery. You just replace the whole thingamajigger.
2- US Code (new construction) requires smoke alarms to be powered via AC with a battery backup. It also requires that they be 'linked' so if one goes off, they ALL go off.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 23, 2016 10:03AM
.....don't smoke but if did.....would get one to alert me on the health hazards of smoking....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 23, 2016 10:09AM
cbelt3
FWIW....
1- Smoke alarms have a useful life of 10 years. They need to be replaced after that. Not just the battery. I like the '10 year models' which have a high end battery. You just replace the whole thingamajigger.
Yep. And i'm sure one or two of my existing alarms are older than that. At least they look it. And now that we've settled in, I can start addressing that.

cbelt3
2- US Code (new construction) requires smoke alarms to be powered via AC with a battery backup. It also requires that they be 'linked' so if one goes off, they ALL go off.
Luckily this is old construction. There's no way I could run wires to all of them. Although one "advantage" of the smart alarms is that they are all technically connected. Which is one of things that I liked about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 10:09AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: jardster
Date: August 23, 2016 10:40AM
bazookaman
Luckily this is old construction. There's no way I could run wires to all of them. Although one "advantage" of the smart alarms is that they are all technically connected. Which is one of things that I liked about them.[/quote]

I do like that they are all connected, since my house is old and getting them all connected isn't a reasonable option. If there is smoke in one room, they other devices tell me where it is.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 23, 2016 10:55AM
That one video from an owner posting the Nest smoke alarm fail really turned me off their products.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 23, 2016 11:09AM
Filliam H. Muffman
That one video from an owner posting the Nest smoke alarm fail really turned me off their products.

The original 1G versions had a lot of false alarm problems. I'm not sure if the 2G's are quite that bad. So that's something.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 23, 2016 11:14AM
MUST WATCH THIS.

[www.youtube.com]

more about nest

[arstechnica.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 11:15AM by space-time.
Date: August 23, 2016 11:52AM
space-time
MUST WATCH THIS.

[www.youtube.com]

From the linked video...

UPDATE 2015-06-17: There is a new version of the Nest Protect hardware out now with an updated smoke sensor: [www.theverge.com]... The hardware shown in this video was the 1st generation hardware, not the new 2nd generation

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 23, 2016 01:04PM
bazookaman
From the linked video...

UPDATE 2015-06-17: There is a new version of the Nest Protect hardware out now with an updated smoke sensor: [www.theverge.com]... The hardware shown in this video was the 1st generation hardware, not the new 2nd generation

Sure, everything must be all better now, especially so now that Nest's founder Tony Fadell is gone.

I really liked this one:

[www.businessinsider.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018