advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
More BBQ - Anyone have a good EZ homemade BBQ sauce recipe
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 24, 2016 03:36PM
I've been using Baby Ray's, but I was imagining putting sauce on the meat in my mind and I had a flash: Homemade has got to be better than that goopy chemical tasting crap. I mixed up a little from a recipe on the net that's long gone, but I winged it and it wasn't bad. A little too spicy but way better than Baby Ray or KC. So, I'm hoping I can come up with something (or maybe several) before Sunday. I has some BBQ afficianadoes coming for lunch and I hasn't cooked a lot of BBQ. They are from Little Rock and used to Memphis style. They eat at the Whole Hog Cafe where they have 6 types of sauce. I may try that once I get the ingredients bought and out on the counter.

One problem I have is I had diabetes and even tasting the samples gets my sugar up. I just ran into that awhile ago. But it was refreshing to have something that is not full of goopy corn syrup. Even the ketchup didn't have corn syrup.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More BBQ - Anyone have a good EZ homemade BBQ sauce recipe
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 24, 2016 03:59PM
.....sure other will chime in but basic BBQ sauce is:

ketchup, mustard and honey (or brown sugar or any sugary product like molasses, agave, maple syrup, etc.)
add salt if you'd like
jazz it up with garlic powder, cayenne, tabasco other spices or Worcestershire sauce

some also add vinegar based like apple cider vinegar, or balsamic, etc......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 24, 2016 04:40PM
Thanks, I need to find me a BBQ sauce recipe without any sugar added.
I'll be watching the thread.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 24, 2016 04:50PM
I was in the same boat, never having made ribs, not having a grill and wondering how to enjoy my own baby back ribs at home.

Some time ago, the super market "Fresh" which had opened a store near us, decided that the west coast was too far for their distribution system. They closed their doors with a final sale.

It was there that I bought a gallon of the same bbq sauce that they were using on their own ribs. Delicious!

It's called Wing It. Here's a link to the oven cooked rib recipe on their website: [wingit.com]

It's really easy, no clean up because everything is contained in aluminum foil and the result is wonderful.

The amount of cooking time seemed to be way to long, but I did confirm it with the company owner. YMMV. He's very available. The sauce is wonderful without having to do any work. I found it for sale locally at Ralph's market, which is part of the Kroger chain.

Give it a try. I guarantee that you will love it.

BTW, I didn't mention that I have used this recipe myself, a number of times and was thrilled with the results.

At first, I thought that the cooking time seemed too long, so I used a quick reading thermometer to check the doneness and the result was great. I double checked with the WingIt owner and he said to cook it the full amount of time and that the meat would be perfect and falling off the bone. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I definitely will test his claim.

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 07:07PM by GeneL.
Posted by: norse
Date: August 24, 2016 05:49PM
[www.food.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 24, 2016 06:06PM
Add a little bit of fish sauce or some anchovies.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 24, 2016 06:07PM
norse
[www.food.com]

That is a very good start.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 24, 2016 07:48PM
What type of BBQ?

Western North Carolina - Vinegar based, no ketchup - for pulled pork
Eastern North Carolina - Vinegar and Ketchup based - for chopped pork
South Carolina - Mustard base - for pork
Alabama - white sauce - for chicken
Memphis - dry rub - for ribs
Kansas City - sweet tomato base - for ribs
Texas Sweet - tomato base - for beef brisket
South Florida - Mojo - citrus juice based - for Cuban pig roast

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: August 24, 2016 08:13PM
We all eat BBQ in Memphis and Little Rock. Certainly not any of the Carolinas or the white Alabama. So, probably closest to KC. Does anyone know if there are any published comparisons of BBQ to music equalization? (hare-brained idea.)
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 24, 2016 08:28PM
That was a very interesting and informative list, ombligo.

Thanks for posting it.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 24, 2016 08:50PM
I'm horrible when it comes to recipes for sauces or chili, as I just throw in what I have on hand at the moment. If it's great, it's a one time affair, as I can never recreate it.

But when I picked up some Weber sauce from the food aisle on quick notice I was actually fairly impressed. Better than Baby Ray's, imo.
Date: August 24, 2016 09:02PM
I've made a couple batches just growing stuff together from various recipes. They have their faults, but they are way ahead of Baby Ray and KC.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 24, 2016 09:12PM
My Great-uncle Joe had the famous Hickory Smoked Bar-B-Q joint in Wilton (near Ashdown), later run by his daughter Rae. Maybe you've been there. He bought his sauce recipe from some famous place in Little Rock. I was too young to remember the details the one time I watched him mix it up, but it was primarily ketchup and mustard, not all that much sugar added.
Date: August 24, 2016 09:40PM
Mr Downtown
My Great-uncle Joe had the famous Hickory Smoked Bar-B-Q joint in Wilton (near Ashdown), later run by his daughter Rae. Maybe you've been there. He bought his sauce recipe from some famous place in Little Rock. I was too young to remember the details the one time I watched him mix it up, but it was primarily ketchup and mustard, not all that much sugar added.

I've been through there several times but never eaten there. The was a famous place in Little Rock called the Shack that had a simple recipe, but no mustard.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 24, 2016 09:56PM
I grew up, sorta, in Lexington, NC so I'm partial to Lexington Style BBQ, you know the Barbecue capital of the world. winking smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

Lexington Style Barbecue Sauce recipe, this sounds close.

[www.finecooking.com]

Grateful11
Date: August 24, 2016 10:18PM
Grateful11
I grew up, sorta, in Lexington, NC so I'm partial to Lexington Style BBQ, you know the Barbecue capital of the world. winking smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

Lexington Style Barbecue Sauce recipe, this sounds close.

[www.finecooking.com]

No offense, but I can't handle that much vinegar.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: August 24, 2016 10:21PM
This is a tasty sauce and fun to make since it has the jalapeño peppers.

[youtu.be]

Steve
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 25, 2016 07:28AM
....you can probably use sugar substitute for the sugar, for taste, but the sugar also helps to glaze/caramelize.......some sugar substitutes break down with intense heat.....I'm guess Splenda would work since it is most like 'sugar'.....they also make a 'baking' Splenda that is made to withstand the heat.....it is lighter than regular Splenda....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 25, 2016 09:42AM
Or there's always Central Texas style: smoke the brisket long enough over the right wood such that using sauce is gilding the lily. I'm always very wary of places praised for their sauce. What deficiency are they hiding?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 242
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018