advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
best cell phone plan with some data
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 25, 2016 06:15AM
Wife is using T-Mobile, the legacy plan with $0.10/min/text which is no longer being offered and no data. She does not use the cell phone much, $100-150 will last her one full year.

She uses WiFi at Home and carries a Freedom pop hot spot in the car for those cases she needs some data on the road.

To simplify things, I would like to get her a better plan, which includes some voice and some data (strictly specking, SMS not required).

I think Cricket (ATT) has an option for $35/month with auto refill.

Still anything else out there around $20-25/month, whit say 200-500 MB of data and 200-300 voice minutes?

I would prefer ATT network, but T-mobile will also do. She has an factory unlocked iPhone 5, not sure if that works on Verizon/Sprint. We also have an ATT iPhone 5 which was unlocked.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 06:16AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: best cell phone plan with some data
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 25, 2016 06:56AM
tmobile offers $30/mo w/5GB data, unlimited text, and 100 minutes talk.

I use the google hangout app to make calls via wifi so they don't count against my minutes.

I forget how much they charge for additional minutes. I'd keep an additional $10 on my account in case i go over.

Posted by: MindMeld
Date: August 25, 2016 07:25AM
Consumer Cellular: 1,000 minutes, 500 MBs, 5,000 texts= $30 mo. (no contract)
Posted by: zachdog
Date: August 25, 2016 07:27AM
Try Ting. It might cost you as little as $17 a month and uses the T-Mobile network.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 25, 2016 07:33AM
2.5GB/month of LTE (throttled to 8MBps down) with the $35 (after autopay) Cricket plan for one line.
Posted by: clay
Date: August 25, 2016 07:56AM
air voice wireless (ATT network)

$20
unlimited talk, text (SMS and MMS), International SMS, 100mb data

[www.airvoicewireless.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 25, 2016 07:59AM
Puretalk has a $10/month plan giving you 300 minutes of talk/text a month plus 50mb of data. For $15/month you get can double it to 600/100mb. Additionally, unused minutes roll over.

You can also add the data package for $10 a month and receive 400MB of data and 200MMS. ($20/month total)

Puretalk uses ATT towers and works with iPhones.

[www.puretalkusa.com]

I can also give you a referral code for some free minutes to both of us (just PM me). My wife and I have used them for several years and are very happy. We don't need data, so we pay $15/month total combined using a family plan - we get ~400 minutes a month and due to roll over we now have around 2000 minutes banked.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 08:59AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 25, 2016 08:41AM
I use H20 wireless for my kids, so that is on ATT. with autopay, the $30 plan is $27, and that comes with unlimited calls and 500mb data; they both want more, so we now have the 35 plan ($31 on autopay) that comes with a soft cap for data, so they get throttled after they hit the 500. I don't remember looking at prices on cricket, but H20 may be the cheapest.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 25, 2016 11:30AM
space-time
Wife is using T-Mobile, the legacy plan with $0.10/min/text which is no longer being offered and no data. She does not use the cell phone much, $100-150 will last her one full year.

Thanks

Where'd you find a wife like that?! smiley-laughing001

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: August 25, 2016 11:39AM
Tracfone has a good 'Bring your own Phone' deal.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 25, 2016 12:20PM
FreedomPop is free for 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB I believe. Think they have an unlimited calling and texting and 1GB data as well for $20 per month or perhaps $80 if you pay for the whole year. Looks like they have Sprint coverage, but also an option for a GSM SIM (think the free option there is 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 200MB):
[slickdeals.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 12:21PM by silvarios.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 25, 2016 01:10PM
If Ombligo hadn't offered you the referral for Puretalk, I would have. I jumped to them about three months ago after years with T-Mobile and it's been great. I can finally make and receive calls at work (no signal with T-Mo). I was able to grab their Senior Plan (Jeez, I hate writing that) and it's costing me $15/mo. for talk, text and 400MB data.
with some data
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 25, 2016 01:45PM
....Data may make an appearance in the new 'Star Trek: Discovery' series.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jonny
Date: August 25, 2016 03:57PM
Another vote for Ting. My wife and I pay about $35 combined for 100 talk 100 text 500 megs, but you only pay for what you use so the price can go down (or up).

Here's a referral link which is worth $25 off first month: [z773kr210j7.ting.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 277
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015