advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What happened to t-shirts?!
Posted by: Drew
Date: August 26, 2016 10:03AM
I live overseas, but am back in the States to visit family. Would like to pick up a few t-shirts, maybe with my favorite team's logo or something printed on the front to remind me of where I've been.

But, the shirts are made out of very thin fabric. Not nearly as heavy duty as the old days and shrink terribly in the wash. Nowhere near as comfortable. Where did the tag go? Now the size, care, etc. stuff is printed directly onto these horrible things.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What happened to t-shirts?!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 26, 2016 10:06AM
......agreed the days of heavy duty cotton shirts are gone....hard to find now....

.....mostly thin, usually cotton blend w/polyester....they transitioned over to tagless because tags irritated some customers [ tagless in underwear also ]......

.....you have to read tags now for what they are made from to be certain.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 26, 2016 10:14AM
The heavy weight T's are still available, just take a bit more shopping around to find them. Some of the small shops doing imprinted T's will still provide the heavy weight style, but the mass-produced logo shirts are almost all done on lesser quality material.

P.S. The tags that were made of cloth never gave me any problems, it was the plasticy tags that companies went to to save a penny that irritated. Now the "tagless" marks irritate in a different way on the back of my neck.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 26, 2016 10:24AM
Best guess is the tourist shops have the cheapest Ts.

Also, I'd expect that the cost of printing the tag on the shirt (amortizing the cost of the printer machine) vs the time it takes to sew on the tag saves 0.01 cents per shirt (or so). Which adds up over several thousand shirts.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 26, 2016 10:48AM
did you actually try them on?

Im a normal guy, 5"8", maybe a few too many pounds round the middle, but even getting a XXL shirt to fit me is impossible. Its not the middle, its the shoulders.

slim fit? this is america, land of obesity.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 26, 2016 10:50AM
I would posit that tagless, thin/soft shirts are MORE comfortable.

to me, anyway.

---
Date: August 26, 2016 10:55AM
jdc

Im a normal guy, 5"8", maybe a few too many pounds round the middle, but even getting a XXL shirt to fit me is impossible. Its not the middle, its the shoulders.

Same experience! Typical old-style XL has fit me for years. New world XL paper-thin tagless style clings like wet toilet paper.
Date: August 26, 2016 10:56AM
jdc

....should say that a lot of t-shirts these days are 'slim fit' even if they don't say so specifically.....frustrating trying to find a t-shirt that fits properly.....

Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 26, 2016 11:12AM
Stafford brand T-shirts and underwear are one of the few reasons I still shop at J C Penney's for clothing. Their all cotton material holds up fairly well still, and the T's are available in both a standard and heavy-weight material. Sizing is good as well, I take an XL or XXL as my weight varies, currently at just over 230 and 5' 11"ish. Just dreading the day their cost cutters mess up the brand like they have done with so much of the other clothing they sell.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2016 11:13AM by JoeH.
Date: August 26, 2016 11:33AM
......not enough T......but too much A..............???

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 26, 2016 12:41PM
Current fashion trends favor Ts with thinner material.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 26, 2016 12:55PM
thin is in

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: August 26, 2016 01:04PM
NewtonMP2100
......not enough T......but too much A..............???

billb
thin is in

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 26, 2016 03:52PM
... But, the shirts are made out of very thin fabric. Not nearly as heavy duty as the old days and shrink terribly in the wash.

we have 2 boys, 4 years apart, and many clothes from the older son are still good enough that we pass them to the little one. When wife goes shopping for new clothes for the little one, she complains that the quality is lower now, no longer those nice shirts/pants she was able ti find for the older son.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: August 26, 2016 06:16PM
When I had my big screen shop in the 90's we were a Hanes distributor and sold tons of Hanes Beefy T's. Today I sell mostly Gildan and we offer two shirt weights in 100% cotton - 5.3 ox and 6 oz. The majority of my customers choose the lighter weight shirt.

My personal preference is the Comfort Colors preshrunk 100% cotton 6.1oz ring spun garment dyed T-shirt. It comes in 77 colors and up to 4X sizing. I like printing/wearing these because they are nice and heavy and wear like iron. They do cost a little more but I think they're worth it. You can buy these on Amazon or if you wanted more than say 3-4 I could work you a deal at cost plus shipping (I need to order $25 min from my wholesaler).

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 26, 2016 06:51PM
Drew
I live overseas, but am back in the States to visit family. Would like to pick up a few t-shirts, maybe with my favorite team's logo or something printed on the front to remind me of where I've been.

But, the shirts are made out of very thin fabric. Not nearly as heavy duty as the old days and shrink terribly in the wash. Nowhere near as comfortable. Where did the tag go? Now the size, care, etc. stuff is printed directly onto these horrible things.

You're shopping in the wrong stores (or with the wrong street vendors).

I've seen a lot of cr@p at Target and Walmart and Old Navy no longer sells anything that stands up to a washing machine. (IMHO.)

Go to a department store or hit the stores around a sports venue and you should find decent stuff.

And the tags stamped in the back of the neck... It'll spoil you.

Go awhile without an itchy tag poking you and the next itchy tag will drive you nuts.

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: August 26, 2016 06:59PM
Tried several different brands from these folks, including ComfortColor. Pleased with all.

[www.t-shirtwholesaler.com]
Posted by: max
Date: August 26, 2016 10:43PM
Onamuji
And the tags stamped in the back of the neck... It'll spoil you.

I am spoiled...

Date: August 26, 2016 10:58PM
OP here. Went to Mt. Rainier today and got a t-shirt to say that I went to Mt. Rainier. Seems to be old style weight with an honest to goodness white tag in the back. Actually, I don't care about the tag, but it just seems that old style weight and tag go hand in hand. I think that REI (outdoor/hiking gear shop famous in Seattle) may have some good shirts. Will check it out soon.
Posted by: ADent
Date: August 26, 2016 11:06PM
The Beefy T's are terrible - at least the ones I tried.

The Gildan's are OK - at 6oz.

I like a heavy T-shirt 8 or 10 oz. Duluth Trading Co (they have occasional sales on them) and HeavyTshirt.com are my current sources.

Sam's Club used to sell some nice heavy, good cut t-shirts. I tracked them down a few years ago and the plant that made them went bankrupt and completely out of business - no chance to buy them another way.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 28, 2016 12:29PM
Saw this article today
[www.washingtonpost.com]
which, as many in the comments section point out, is applicable to men's clothing as well as women's. I thought I'd post it here in case anybody is still following this thread.

Posted by: h linamen
Date: August 28, 2016 03:04PM
Slim fit in this day and age makes no sense considering more folks are over weight than ever before. Apparently they are trying to save a little fabric per shirt for cost savings. Real customer friendly!

NewtonMP2100
jdc

....should say that a lot of t-shirts these days are 'slim fit' even if they don't say so specifically.....frustrating trying to find a t-shirt that fits properly.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2016 03:05PM by h linamen.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 28, 2016 09:44PM
nwyaker
Tried several different brands from these folks, including ComfortColor. Pleased with all.

[www.t-shirtwholesaler.com]

Thanks for that link, nwyaker. Looks like some decent stuff at reasonable prices.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018