Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Screwed up SSD Desktop file by running 10.11.5 from another Hard drive
Posted by: JEB
Date: August 27, 2016 12:06AM
Hi all,
I've been running my 2009 Mac Mini from an external SSD with Mac OS 10.11.5. I still have a copy of 10.11.5 on the Mini's Hard drive and I had to boot from the Mini's hard drive to connect to my son's computer. AfterI was done transferring files, I reset the Startup Drive to the SSD in system preferences and rebooted. Now, the SSD shows the desktop that was on the Mini's Hard Drive and I'm missing a few files including the most recent Quicken 2015 backups.

I have a Time Machine backup from before I did this, but when I go try to restore the computer to the old settings ,Time machine only shows the most recent backup from today not the one I need from 2 days ago that would fix this problem.

I tried restoring from the OS X Recovery Partition. Again, it only shows the recent time machine backup from today and not any of the old ones that I need. Please help. Should I have deleted Mac OS 10.11.5 from the Mini's Hard drive? Thanks, John
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Screwed up SSD Desktop file by running 10.11.5 from another Hard drive
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 27, 2016 02:21AM
If you see only the Desktop from your user account on the second/internal boot drive after you log in then you're using the user account from the second drive.

Maybe you're booted from the internal drive and don't realize it.

Maybe you've somehow remapped the path for your home folder to the home folder on the second drive. (Would typically take some stupid fooling around with advanced options in the Users & Groups settings.)

Dunno which.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 27, 2016 06:36AM
Maybe you're booted from the internal drive and don't realize it.

This one gets my vote.
Date: August 27, 2016 08:22AM
That's exactly what I did. Is there any way to correct this? As I said, I have a Time machine backup. What do I need to do to use an old back up from 3 days ago. How do I get Time Machine to allow me to access an older backup? Should I delete the Mac OS El Cap on the Mini's internal drive?
Date: August 27, 2016 09:13AM
JEB,

I think you are STILL booted from the internal drive.

Just to back to System preference and select External SSD again, and restart, or maybe hold down OPTION when you start up your machine and then select the SSD/USB to boot from it.
Date: August 27, 2016 12:59PM
Thanks for the tips Space-time. that did the trick
Date: August 27, 2016 05:46PM
Excellent!!!

Just out of curiosity: if you were booted from the internal HD, didn't you notice that the computer was slower than usual?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020