advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
charcoal? gas?
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 28, 2016 07:40PM
I have a Weber one-touch charcoal grill; it is about 7 year old and it's been stored outside in the snow and sun, lid was dropped a few times, thus it has a few dents and the coating cracked in a few spots. I am thinking to watch end of season sales at Lower/HD and try to score a good price on a new one, or perhaps I should consider gas. I understand that Weber has a Spirit series that is made in PRC, but Genesis and Summit should be still made in good old USA.

If I go charcoal, I am willing to pay as much as say $400 for one like these; although I hope to pay less if these go on sale.

[www.amazon.com]

if I go gas, I understand normal prices are around $1000, but I may be able to find a sale and pay 6-700???

anyway, back to the heard of the problem: stick with charcoal, which I love, or go Gas which makes it a lot easier to set up and clean up? if we do gas, I would probably grill more often. I could for example have spouse turn it on when I leave work and I could grill as soon as I get home. Right now I can't ask her to set up the coals and light it up, that is MY JOB. So we grill mostly in weekends, rarely during the week.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: charcoal? gas?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 28, 2016 07:50PM
Well, old Hank Hill would say LP gas, while Khan says charcoal. I'm with Khan. And, GET, just get, one of those stack charcoal lighting thingamajigs! Man, they work!

Oh, and even though I agree with Khan (who all the boys call a Chinese. He's Laotian) on charcoal, please get a Hecho en USA grill.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2016 07:52PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 28, 2016 07:51PM
Home Depot has several Weber Genesis grills cut $100 right now. I still like mine. I have uncoated cast-iron grates.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: August 28, 2016 07:59PM
You can choose from many, many good gas grills (propane, I assume is what you mean) for way less than a grand.

You and I probably don't approach grilling in the same way, but that Weber you linked to just seems like overkill. This is more my speed.

[www.amazon.com]

patriot smiley

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 28, 2016 08:04PM
I see that the knockoff Green Egg grills have come way down in price. Tempted.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 28, 2016 08:30PM
mrbigstuff

Link? Thanks.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 28, 2016 09:07PM
7 years is a pretty good run for grill thats been left in the elements -- why not just get another?

$100-150 will get you the regular 22" model, a great grill, just get a $10 cover this time for the winter.

FWIW, I never see weber grills "on sale" -- they seem to sell great year round -- and even on something like the one you posted, maybe 10% off, or $25. I always figure if you have $700 to spend on a grill, then another $50 +/- won't really matter.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 28, 2016 09:13PM
I can't see spending over $100. I also prefer just basic charcoal. Spend the extra money on meat.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 28, 2016 09:24PM
That Weber that Uncle Wig linked to it what we have, as well. Just used it tonight. Simple and durable. My brother uses one of those charcoal chimney things and he loves it. Frankly, I just buy Match Light charcoal and light 'er up. Fifteen minutes later, I'm cooking.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 28, 2016 09:35PM
A Smokey Joe is a good option if you're only grilling for a couple of people.

$30

[www.amazon.com]
Date: August 28, 2016 09:47PM
space-time
mrbigstuff

Link? Thanks.

There is one at Lowe's. Also saw one in a flyer, cannot recall which one at the moment, will post back if I can find it.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 28, 2016 10:00PM
Just sumtin' to think about... if you go gas, you can get/make a wood chip smoker/flavor enhancer module, that when done properly, gives you the best of both worlds. You get the ease of gas, and the flavor of wood. Standard charcoal briquets pretty much suck anyway; you really need to use hardwood/fruitwood real charcoal pieces that are way more expensive than standard fakey charcoal briquets (but worth it nonetheless).

The real "deal" is to know how to become one w/ whatever you're grillin', so ultimately it shouldn't matter what you cook on. Gas is sure more convenient, and easier to control the heat. Real charcoal/wood cooking requires more attention, and is harder to master, especially when it comes to diversifying the heat/hot spots. Plus, to do wood right, you really need a much bigger grill to spread the coals around. Since your budget is ample, I'd suggest going to a place where you can get your hands dirty, and talk to some real grillers, rather than somebody trying to earn a commission. Get a feel for the options and accessories, and learn the nuances between wood and gas for anything and everything you're likely to be grilling.
Good luck.
==
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: August 28, 2016 10:11PM
"I don't eat meat unless it's beef or pork" -Yogi Berra
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 28, 2016 11:45PM
Why choose just one? Here's my recommendation from 2-1/2 years ago:
[forums.macresource.com]

The Lowes one is on sale through 8/31 (at least here in So. Cal.)...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 29, 2016 08:26AM
You may want to take a look at Craigslist. I've seen Webers in near new condition for 1/2 the price of stores. Grills are one of those things people buy fancy, never use that much, and then sell.

I've been using the same basic Weber charcoal grill and Weber smoker for 12-15 years. Both stored outside, generally uncovered. One wheel broke off the grill, and I've replaced the racks. I may get a pass grill this year just to offset my laziness; I've been looking at either the Member Marks grill at Sam's, or the identical Nexgrill from Home Depot. They both get high marks from independent reviewers and is a good price. I'd like Weber, but my budget says no to spending close to a grand.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: August 29, 2016 08:31AM
I've always been ok with Weber grills but the last few I've bought have been SO cheaply made..the base-legs, wheels on the thing just is a complete piece of @#$%&.

The legs are wobbly in their sleeves, they come out when moving if not modified. They could do a a few super simple things to make these issues go away...not cool to be moving a thing filled with fiery chunks of fire and have a leg come out...They used too be made to last..far from that now.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 29, 2016 08:33AM
I've used gas grills for 30 years. The convenience of not hassling with charcoal and ashes, and not having to wait for the coals to heat up is the best part for me. Gas grills have a lifespan - the burners typically last 2-5 years. The structure itself, 2-10 years. Our current grill was trash picked , the burner replaced, and has been going strong for 6 years now.

And yeah, if you're willing to do the work, trash picking grills is pretty straightforward. My daughter and her girlfriend picked up a top of the line Kenmore a street over from their house. Two of the five burners had rusted out. Replacement burners were $7 each. Done.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 29, 2016 09:00AM
I picked up a used $2000 grill from a friend for free.. It'd been sitting in his yard for ten years befause it was "broken"... Some cleaning, and $80 worth of new burners, and it's been serving me for almost 10 years. It definitely needs at keast one new burner again, and maybe a new bottom plate under the burner. Might be another $200 or so now, if they still make the parts. If not, I'll adapt something. The stainless steel shell will last another decade under cover, so no reason to ditch it. I LIKE charcoal, but I'm far too lazy.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 29, 2016 09:23AM
I got lucky when we bought our Weber Genesis. I bought it when they were switching over to front mounted
controls from the side mounted. HHGregg had it reduced to $425 and wife talked them down to $400.
I think it'll last me the rest of my life, built like a tank and it's in the dry.

Grateful11
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 29, 2016 10:13AM
Ombligo
You may want to take a look at Craigslist. I've seen Webers in near new condition for 1/2 the price of stores. Grills are one of those things people buy fancy, never use that much, and then sell.

I agree - I got a Weber Summit grill that sells for $2,500 for $600 a few years ago. Works great, is a pleasure to cook on.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 29, 2016 11:30AM
I have a 20 year old Kenmore propane. One long burner in the front, another in the back, controlled individually. I use it two or three times a week year around and nary a problem (the plastic shelf on the end came loose from me using it as a handle to move it around which I fixed with a number of washers). I have used much newer grills that look really fancy but put out little heat which is not how I like to grill, especially when there is a crowd. Five minutes on each side for a steak.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 29, 2016 01:19PM
For those who say charcoal is too much work, get, just get, one of those chimney things! Amazing how good and fast they are. Never any fumes either.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 29, 2016 01:28PM
GuyGene
For those who say charcoal is too much work, get, just get, one of those chimney things! Amazing how good and fast they are. Never any fumes either.

Still have to buy charcoal... still have to wait a bit for 'em to be ready...
Gas; valve on - hit piezio lighter.... whoosh. By the time I come back out with the steaks, it's ready!

Told you... too lazy! LOL!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: August 29, 2016 02:04PM
I've thought that the combined gas and charcoal grills are very cool, I assume one can light the firewood with the gas, correct ?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 29, 2016 03:04PM
Cary
Ombligo

I agree - I got a Weber Summit grill that sells for $2,500 for $600 a few years ago. Works great, is a pleasure to cook on.

460? That's about what I paid for mine 4 years ago.

Love it. Just got 4 new burner tubes. Need to replace the thermometer after I figure out if it's tabbed, or un-tabbed.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: August 29, 2016 03:57PM
Generally, gas for convenience, and charcoal for flavor.

If you're the type who just uses Kingsford briquets to grill up some burgers and dogs, then you won't miss anything with gas, and it will be faster and easier.

If you're the type who uses hardwood charcoal and/or wood chips with better cuts of meat, then charcoal will give superior flavor.

A chimney starter (as expected, the Weber one is nicer) makes preparing the charcoal easier. Hardwood charcoal burns hotter, but faster, and won't generate as much ash (nor like the copious amounts of sandy filler Kingsford leaves behind).
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 29, 2016 04:15PM
To paraphrase,

space-time. "If we go gas, would probably grill more often."

Buzz, "If you go gas, you can get/make a smoke flavor box"

Exactly what I did. I grill as much as possible, and discovered the wonders of using the grill as a smoker this year. A ten dollar "aluminum smoke box, and a bag of Hickory wood chips really changed my grilling technique.

I like it so much, In would like to smoke another brisket like I did earlier this summer for a party and invite all you MRF'ers over to eat.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 29, 2016 04:40PM
DinerDave
To paraphrase,

space-time. "If we go gas, would probably grill more often."

Buzz, "If you go gas, you can get/make a smoke flavor box"

Exactly what I did. I grill as much as possible, and discovered the wonders of using the grill as a smoker this year. A ten dollar "aluminum smoke box, and a bag of Hickory wood chips really changed my grilling technique.

I like it so much, In would like to smoke another brisket like I did earlier this summer for a party and invite all you MRF'ers over to eat.

Dave

I'm available this Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Z
Date: August 29, 2016 05:07PM
While the convenience of gas is nice, I'm a sucker for the flavor benefits of charcoal. Picked up one of the Weber Gold Kettles a two years back with the hinged grates, one-touch clean-out system and the like and it is fantastic. (Weber has been doing what they can to either innovate or confuse the market by changing out their grill name/models each year) The flip-up access grates for extended grilling sessions is most wonderful.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: August 29, 2016 05:29PM
We have one of each.

A Weber Charcoal and a Broil King for gas.
I like the gas for week day dinners, Brats, Burgers, etc.
On the weekends bring on the charcoal. Sometimes it is both at the same time.
Meat on the charcoal and sides on the gas.

I'd also be tempted with Mike F's suggestion and then add the smoker partition to it.

Steve
Date: August 29, 2016 05:46PM
Paul F.
GuyGene

Still have to buy charcoal... still have to wait a bit for 'em to be ready...
Gas; valve on - hit piezio lighter.... whoosh. By the time I come back out with the steaks, it's ready!

Told you... too lazy! LOL!

I understand Paul. Well, have to keep old Hank employed.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 29, 2016 06:48PM
I encourage relatives and friends who are just crazy over barbecuing. They love that I always show up with the same stuff I would have cooked anyway. I'll even throw in a bowl of potato salad. Charcoal? Gas?...somebody else's.

My cleanup using this method is minimal.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: August 29, 2016 07:28PM
When considering gas there is another alternative I am surprised has not been mentioned, namely the Holland grill. Now I will confess that I am lazy and always found the amount of attention needed to monitor and adjust either gas or charcoal grills a bit of a pain and would much prefer to sit back with a glass of wine and let the grill do all the work for me. That is exactly what this unit does and the pricing is close to comparable gas and charcoal units being sold these days. The unit is designed to maintain a constant temperature of 400º with absolutely no effort by the user. There is no adjustment to speak of, the gas is either on or off.
The best feature is there is no direct flame under the grill, it is covered with a drip tray that catches all drippings and drains them into a catch can. With this design there is no possibility of a flare up and it is truly effortless, put the meat on the grill sit back and enjoy your wine,
Over the years we went from charcoal, to Weber gas and finally the Holland and would never think of going back. It is different and takes some getting used to, but once mastered it is a true delight to use. My past experience with charcoal was messy and a pain to use, gas was faster and hotter but still messy and a pain. The holland is a bit slower than the Weber gas but worth the wait given one can sit back and spend time enjoying the time socializing without the need to constantly monitor the cooking process. Might be worth your consideration?

[www.hollandgrill.com]
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 30, 2016 09:50AM
Charcoal takes a long time to get ready and is not really feasible to light a whole fire if you only want to grill a few things. I say gas all the way....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 30, 2016 12:19PM
^^^^

Charcoal takes 15-20 minutes to get to full heat. Since you should be resting the meat to room temperature, that is plenty of time. I even cooked tenderloin over the chimney with about 6-8 coals in it, worked fine.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018