advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dropbox usage strategies?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: August 29, 2016 03:23PM
I am seriously considering upgrading my plan from Basic to Pro. I currently have 3.75 Gb of space, and I like the way it works. I use it on my iPhone, Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro. My main goal is to have an online backup, but I also like having easy access to my files across these devices. Besides normal text, spreadsheets and drawing files, I'd like to include photos (amateur) and my mp3's. These all take up less than a terabyte. Mv4's and other video files won't be backed up online.

Does it make sense to move my user folder into the Dropbox folder (if that is possible), or would I be better served by some other strategy? Are there reasons not to do this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dropbox usage strategies?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 29, 2016 04:07PM
I keep my dropbox folder inside my user folder and I store almost everything in it. That gives me access to my files no matter where I am as you mentioned. I've considered moving much of my media such as iPhoto and iTunes music to dropbox. That would probably mean moving my dropbox folder off my internal SSD to an external large hard drive.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 29, 2016 06:02PM
Dropbox doesn't let you move it away from the system drive...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 29, 2016 06:48PM
jdc
Dropbox doesn't let you move it away from the system drive...

I am not sure what this means. I mapped my Dropbox to another volume.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 29, 2016 08:55PM
I moved my Documents, Desktop, and Pictures folders into my Dropbox folder (you could also do Music and any other folders in your user folder). BUT you have to do this in the terminal and then create symbolic links (which are different than the aliases you create in the finder) in order for the OS to not even realize you've moved the folders.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: August 29, 2016 09:23PM
Gareth
I moved my Documents, Desktop, and Pictures folders into my Dropbox folder (you could also do Music and any other folders in your user folder). BUT you have to do this in the terminal and then create symbolic links (which are different than the aliases you create in the finder) in order for the OS to not even realize you've moved the folders.

So does the symbolic link go into the Dropbox folder or the user folder?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 30, 2016 07:24AM
flareslow
Gareth

So does the symbolic link go into the Dropbox folder or the user folder?

The symbolic link goes to folders inside the dropbox folder with the requisite names. The actual link itself goes in the users folder. I really don't think it is a good idea in particular.

I'm amazed that the simple solution escapes people. Just ignore the Apple provided folders and save your data into Dropbox folders. Simple as that.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 07:24AM by C(-)ris.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020