advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
U can pick your friends & pick your nose but...?!.....AMC will let all Manhattan pick this....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 31, 2016 03:12PM
.....movie seating......reserved movie seating.....they were trying reserved seating in limited theaters and have decided to do it for all Manhattan now.....

.....you can also pay $15 a year to join their loyalty program and get the better reserved seats.......

....this may go nationwide as it is way for them to up earnings [ normally, the majority of their monies come from jacking up food. this could be a new revenue stream ].........think more people will just wait for DVD to come out and watch in the comfort of their home........

AMC Theaters Plans Switch To Reserved Seating At All Manhattan Venues

....Manhattanites who hate having to show up early at movie theaters to find decent seats are about to have a new option that should attract the attention of the exhibition industry.

Beginning September 2 moviegoers will pick the seats they want when they buy tickets for AMC Theaters in the borough, the chain says today. That makes Manhattan the first major market where nearly all AMC venues will assign seats.

“As we look at markets where we can begin to make reserved seating prevalent, there’s no better place to start than Manhattan, where a trip to the movies often means a subway or cab ride,” says U.S. Operations EVP John McDonald. “Reserved seating lets moviegoers pick the exact seat they want when they make their movie-going plans and provides our guests with the confidence that their specific seat will be waiting for them when they arrive at the theatre.”

The change affects major venues including AMC 84th St. 6. AMC Village 7, AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13, AMC Empire 25, AMC Loews 34th Street 14, AMC Loews 19th St. East 6, AMC Loews Orpheum 7, and AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9.

The AMC Kips Bay 15 is in the middle of a renovation, and will have reserved seating when that’s done this fall.

AMC already offers reserved seating at 125 locations across the country. It’s usually a feature in venues with its plush recliners, which charge premium ticket prices.

Early this month CEO Adam Aron told analysts that reserve seating is a big part of his plan to boost sales.

For example, AMC’s testing a mobile app that enables ticket buyers to also order food and have it delivered to their seats when they want. The initial results were “encouraging and we would expect broad rollout sometime in the next three-to-nine months,” he said.

The company also wants to hold some of the best rows at reserved seating locations for those who pay $15 a year to belong to its AMC Stubs Premiere loyalty program. “Premiere members will truly be treated as welcome VIPs at AMC,” he says.

The nation’s No. 2 exhibition chain is controlled by China’s Wanda Group. It’s preparing to become the world’s largest with plans to buy UK-based Odeon & UCI Cinemas, and Carmike Cinemas.

AMC shares appreciated nearly 2% today, ahead of the overall market.

reserved seating.....................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 03:25PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: U can pick your friends & pick your nose but...?!.....AMC will let all Manhattan pick this....
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 31, 2016 03:40PM
This has been in the works for a couple of years.

Thing is, everywhere they've tried it customers have said over an over again that they hate it.

Premium seating (with premium prices) in move theaters is universally despised.

It means that any jackass with money to burn can keep you from getting into your flick even if you get there early. And they're pairing this with larger seats for those who pay the premium price. Which means that there are fewer seats for working-stiffs and the "common man" gets stuck with that stiff seat with the broken back.

Good reason to stay home and watch Netflix.

Re: U can pick your friends & pick your nose but...?!.....AMC will let all Manhattan pick this....
Posted by: jardster
Date: August 31, 2016 03:40PM
Most of the theaters around us (DC suburbs) have reserved seating. It's good and bad... nice to not have to get there early, but if you have a large group and want to sit together (think teenagers going to the movies) it requires one person to buy all of the tickets (you can walk up to the theatre and buy tickets, but many of the good seats may already be gone).

Overall I love it and almost refuse theaters that don't offer it.

Also, the ones near us don't charge more for reserving a seat and there aren't "premium" seats at a higher price. If you have one near you... try [www.arclightcinemas.com] best popcorn there is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 03:42PM by jardster.
Date: August 31, 2016 03:41PM
jardster
Overall I love it and almost refuse theaters that don't offer it.

Traitor. nono smiley

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 31, 2016 03:47PM
puhleeze... somebody's MBA project said "Hey ! Let's pull the same crap the Airlines do !"

Bastiches...
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 31, 2016 03:56PM
When I get to the theatre and a 6'5" 300lb guy with a giant head sits directly in front of me, I get up and find another seat before the movie starts. How do i tell which seats are reserved and which aren't?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 31, 2016 04:09PM
When's the last time anyone here went to a movie in Manhattan at an AMC theater?
1) Never.
2) Once to see The Empire Strikes Back premier.
3) When I was a kid.
4) Back when they were showing Heads Up Girls and Bottom Feeder Babes as a double bill in their 42nd St location.
Date: August 31, 2016 04:10PM
3d
When I get to the theatre and a 6'5" 300lb guy with a giant head sits directly in front of me, I get up and find another seat before the movie starts. How do i tell which seats are reserved and which aren't?

Reserved seats are usually much larger than the regular seats, like overstuffed lounge-chairs and many of them have foot-rests. Some of them have trays for snacks built into the arms.

Some theaters are introducing the overstuffed reclining seats for all customers, in which case the reserved seats will be the ones where when you go to sit, a pimply teenager in a logo-shirt will yell at you to move.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 31, 2016 04:12PM
Yea, around here, reserved seating is so common now that I was surprised and annoyed that AMC didn't have it. Of course, it's the same price regardless of where you're seating, so if they charged more for better seats, then I'd go to another theater.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 31, 2016 04:38PM
We have a studio movie grill -- pick your seat before hand and no premium cost. They make up for it with the full bar and menu.

Seats are far enough away that no one will ever get in your way.

Theres never a line for tickets, theres never a line to get in, theres never a line for snacks. Walk in, sit down, order from your server, done.

heres the chairs and lobby

:

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 04:41PM by jdc.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: August 31, 2016 09:47PM
This is what I've been waiting for, higher admission prices and overpriced stale popcorn! Way to boost sales on an old soon to be defunct business model. I'm lovin' it!

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 31, 2016 10:02PM
my local theater has had it for almost a year now. completely new design. each screening room seats a lot less because they have these big, comfy reclining chairs. when my son wondered why i speculated that the theater's main competition is people's living rooms. they are trying to get customers back into the cineplex. all the seats are the same price. no one's big ole head is ever in your way.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 10:02PM by graylocks.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: September 01, 2016 12:15PM
Have had reserved seating for years around here - like 10 years or so: AMC, Cinemark, now others.

Also with food (AMC Cinema Suites, etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 12:16PM by onthedownlow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 366
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018