advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chicago Jazz Festival photography?
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: September 01, 2016 08:35AM
Because my fellow Forumites have superpowers that unravel even the trickiest questions I'm throwing this one into the pot.

The Chicago Jazz Festival is in a big, open park containing several stages. Their website specifies "no photography" at the main stage but does not specify that same restrictions at the smaller stages. Nor does the list of prohibited items include cameras.
[jazzinchicago.org]
So my question is this, and I offer it to any of you who've actually attended this particular fest with camera in hand: will I get hassled at the entry gate if carrying a smallish set of camera gear? M43 and one extra lens. A security guard would probably see it as larger than P&S but smaller than a pro would carry.
I've tried emailing and calling the Fest office to no avail.

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chicago Jazz Festival photography?
Date: September 01, 2016 08:41AM
Here's a more inclusive link that shows the photography policy:

[www.cityofchicago.org]
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 01, 2016 09:28AM
Wish I were going. I love Chicago!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 01, 2016 09:46AM
I'm not a jazz fan, so it's been 30 years since I went to this particular festival. But based on how other events at Millennium Park go, I'd say you won't be hassled for bringing in photo gear, nor even for photographing friends sitting on the lawn. Only if you set up a tripod and appear to be recording a performance will anyone even take notice. The Millennium Park security guards will be more focused on watching for alcohol-fueled fights.
Date: September 01, 2016 09:54AM
Mr Downtown
I'm not a jazz fan, so it's been 30 years since I went to this particular festival. But based on how other events at Millennium Park go, I'd say you won't be hassled for bringing in photo gear, nor even for photographing friends sitting on the lawn. Only if you set up a tripod and appear to be recording a performance will anyone even take notice. The Millennium Park security guards will be more focused on watching for alcohol-fueled fights.

Do you live in Chicago? I forget.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: September 01, 2016 01:05PM
Last year I did a good deal of photography in the secondary tents and stages with a rather large lens and wasn't hassled. There was another guy with tripod (and no ID badge) who went and stood just in front of center stage and shot photos, which was annoying to everyone else, and he wasn't hassled. YMMV.

[clearedready.blogspot.com]
Date: September 01, 2016 01:49PM
zeppo2
Last year I did a good deal of photography in the secondary tents and stages with a rather large lens and wasn't hassled. There was another guy with tripod (and no ID badge) who went and stood just in front of center stage and shot photos, which was annoying to everyone else, and he wasn't hassled. YMMV.

Thanks! I promise I won't be the obnoxious person.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 01, 2016 03:05PM
vision63

Yes. About a half-mile from Millennium Park.
Date: September 02, 2016 02:04AM
Mr Downtown
vision63

Yes. About a half-mile from Millennium Park.

Ain't got nothing to say other than I really love it there. Especially within a half-mile from Millennium Park. It's like heaven to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015