advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do YOU rip your blu-ray disks
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 06, 2016 07:21AM
We are getting rid of the last physical disc player attached to any of the TVs (expect the x-box, but I never watch anything on that TV).

I've got a number of Blu-Ray movies that I'd rather have in my iTunes collection for watching over the AppleTV.

I've searched and found several options for ripping Blu-Ray discs... I tried one... using MakeMKV.app to copy the disc and then use Handbrake to make it into an MP4. Takes a total of 3-4 hours (for the 1st Lord of the Rings movie).

So, how have YOU been converting your physical media to digital?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 07:22AM by jardster.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do YOU rip your blu-ray disks
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 06, 2016 07:37AM
doesn't HB do it by itself?

[handbrake.fr]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 08:20AM by Fritz.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: September 06, 2016 07:59AM
DVDFab - lifetime license (for both Mac/Windows).

[www.dvdfab.cn]

It was worth it for me, and has paid for itself over-and-over the last several years that I've had it (when physical media was even more popular).

Posted by: gabester
Date: September 06, 2016 08:20AM
jardster
We are getting rid of the last physical disc player attached to any of the TVs (except the x-box, but I never watch anything on that TV).

Good for you - I was going to ask what you were using instead, but you answered my question - iTunes to AppleTV.

jardster
...MakeMKV.app to copy the disc and then use Handbrake to make it into an MP4. Takes a total of 3-4 hours (for the 1st Lord of the Rings movie).

The time it takes sounds about right, I'm hoping others chime in with a more automated workflow - I assume you process the disk through MakeMKV, wait for that to finish, then load the result into HB...

jardster
So, how have YOU been converting your physical media to digital?

Honestly, I find the extra processing needed for bluray vs the relatively minimal perceived difference in quality means I usually look to find a DVD to rip instead and/or I'll just play the BD... But I have been using HB for TS files rendered by my HDHomeRun.

To slightly twist this question, since you're already willing to circumvent DMCA copy protection on the BD, why not torrent someone else's previously ripped copy - I'm certain it saves electricity although that would depend the energy used by your router/ISP and the host.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 06, 2016 08:32AM
MakeMKV > Handbrake works fine for me. Time consuming, but almost all of it is unattended processing.

Then again, I have a 4GHz i7, so the Handbrake portion is relatively speedy.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2016 08:48AM
....like one rips a *****....with finesse.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 06, 2016 08:51AM
Handbrake can rip the bluray disc. Subler will add metadata for free and you can manually add the movie to iTunes. I prefer iFlicks which both adds the metadata and puts the movie into iTunes. iFlicks also has a watch folder where it will automatically add new files. So you don't have to be around. It just does it's job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 08:52AM by davemchine.
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 06, 2016 09:06AM
gabester

To slightly twist this question, since you're already willing to circumvent DMCA copy protection on the BD, why not torrent someone else's previously ripped copy - I'm certain it saves electricity although that would depend the energy used by your router/ISP and the host.

This was a question that also ran through my mind. But somehow it seems "less illegal" to burn my own.

Date: September 06, 2016 09:09AM
If you rip your bluray collection there is zero risk of any negative consequences. If you torrent you have the potential to receive a notice from your ISP or even have your account suspended. So I would say ripping is the way to go.
Date: September 06, 2016 09:40AM
keeping one other bit in mind. iTunes (afaik) doesn't support HEVC (aka H265), but HB will rip H265 to H264 which is supported in iTunes.

Subler and VLC will both do H265, but I still have had issues when dropping into iTunes.
The results of Subler won't play in iTunes if the source is HEVC/H265.
I'd not heard of iFlick, though it doesn't appear to tackle H265 at this time either.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 06, 2016 10:33AM
Every DVD and BluRay I've tried to rip with Handbrake in the last 6 months has came out all garbled/pixellated.
I use to not have any trouble with it. Bought several movies at Family Dollars for $1 a piece and would like
to get them in my iMac so I view through the ATV.

I used VLC to record a couple but the files size ended up being huge.

Grateful11
Date: September 06, 2016 10:38AM
"To slightly twist this question, since you're already willing to circumvent DMCA copy protection on the BD, why not torrent someone else's previously ripped copy - I'm certain it saves electricity although that would depend the energy used by your router/ISP and the host."

I thought if you owned or as some of you would say, "have the rights to a physical disc", it was ok it rip it as long as you didn't turn around around sell the disc.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 11:12AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: September 06, 2016 10:40AM
My method is:

MakeMKV - Rip the disc which can take a while depending on speed of disc drive.

iVIPro - Convert, add metadata and import into iTunes. The compression results are close to HB for me. I also like that it adds the metadata, which saves me a step. The screencasts on the website of how to use the program are helpful. In addition, if you are ripping DVDs, the program can rip DVDs directly without having to use another program. For me, it is a bargain at only $10.

[www.southpolesoftware.com]

I sometimes use the following website for getting the official iTunes artwork:

[bendodson.com]

Good luck!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 06, 2016 01:21PM
jardster
I've searched and found several options for ripping Blu-Ray discs... I tried one... using MakeMKV.app to copy the disc and then use Handbrake to make it into an MP4.

I do exactly this.
Date: September 06, 2016 01:26PM
Fritz
keeping one other bit in mind. iTunes (afaik) doesn't support HEVC (aka H265), but HB will rip H265 to H264 which is supported in iTunes.

Subler and VLC will both do H265, but I still have had issues when dropping into iTunes.
The results of Subler won't play in iTunes if the source is HEVC/H265.
I'd not heard of iFlick, though it doesn't appear to tackle H265 at this time either.

FWIW, Kodi supports h.265 and that's what we use as our front end. Kodi runs on Win, OS X, and RasPi (all 3 used in our household) but you'll need to stick to h.264 on the Pi. I switched to h.265 encoding when VLC added it as a standard feature about a year and a half ago and when we switched to Kodi early this year, it was nice that everything continued to play with no re-encodes needed.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 06, 2016 02:09PM
I rip DVDs - more DVDs are HDTV friendly (16:9) than Blu-ray (21:9).

gabester
Honestly, I find the extra processing needed for bluray vs the relatively minimal perceived difference in quality means I usually look to find a DVD to rip instead and/or I'll just play the BD...
Date: September 06, 2016 02:23PM
Lew: thanks good to know. I use Roku/Plex and iTunes depending. I had Kodi on my ApTV2, but it didn't thrill me. Perhaps as a stand alone.

!#$@@$#!

Date: September 06, 2016 05:43PM
Grateful11, copying a movie from one format to another for your own person use is completely legal. Circumventing the encryption is what is illegal. It comes down to an ethics question and everyone has to answer that for themselves. Obviously I think it is ethically ok as long as it's for my own use. Here is a link that explains it better than I could and an excerpt that pretty much spells it out.

[arstechnica.com]

Every three years, US copyright regulators entertain and rule on proposals for Digital Millennium Copyright exemptions.The DMCA prohibits circumventing encryption or access controls to copy or modify copyrighted works. Even if an exemption has been granted, it must be renewed in three years or it expires.
Date: September 06, 2016 06:46PM
Bill in NC

gabester
Honestly, I find the extra processing needed for bluray vs the relatively minimal perceived difference in quality means I usually look to find a DVD to rip instead and/or I'll just play the BD...

?

Blu-Ray's default ratio is 16:9. 1920 by 1080 = 16 by 9.

DVD's default ratio is actually bimodal and stretched in each mode.

NTSC DVD is 720x480 = 3:2. It is then stretched to 853x480 (16:9) or squished to 640x480 (4:3) based on the shape of the original content.

PAL DVD is 720x576 = 5:4. It is then stretched to 1024x576 (16:9) or 768x576 (4:3) based on the shape of the original content.

Yes, I'm ignoring non-enhanced for widescreen DVDs.
Date: September 06, 2016 09:01PM
blu-rays normally leave movies in 21:9 = much larger black bars than the DVD version.

Lew Zealand
Bill in NC

gabester

?

NTSC DVD is 720x480 = 3:2. It is then stretched to 853x480 (16:9) or squished to 640x480 (4:3) based on the shape of the original content.

PAL DVD is 720x576 = 5:4. It is then stretched to 1024x576 (16:9) or 768x576 (4:3) based on the shape of the original content.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 07, 2016 06:32AM
The 21:9 (or more commonly known as 2.35:1) is not a Blu-ray aspect ratio, it is a cinematography format. There are plenty of DVD's that also present movies in 2.35:1 anamorphic. [en.wikipedia.org] [en.wikipedia.org])

Bill in NC
blu-rays normally leave movies in 21:9 = much larger black bars than the DVD version.

Lew Zealand
Bill in NC

gabester

?

Date: September 07, 2016 07:28AM
it is still much more common for the DVD release of a movie to be in a HDTV-friendlier (16:9) format than the Blu-ray release, which almost always preserves the original cinema format (roughly 21:9)

so, in general, you will end up with larger black bars with a Blu-ray vs. a DVD of the same movie.

Sam3
The 21:9 (or more commonly known as 2.35:1) is not a Blu-ray aspect ratio, it is a cinematography format. There are plenty of DVD's that also present movies in 2.35:1 anamorphic. [en.wikipedia.org] [en.wikipedia.org])

Bill in NC

Lew Zealand
Bill in NC

gabester

?

Date: September 07, 2016 09:43AM
The last time I tried to use MakeMKV it asked for a serial number or something. I looked around and found that it was no longer free, is that true?

Grateful11
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: September 07, 2016 10:51AM
Grateful11,

It's still free while in beta, but you have to input the new key every couple of months. Here is a link to their forum with the current beta key that is good through the end of September.

[www.makemkv.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 10:52AM by Gilbert.
Date: September 07, 2016 10:59AM
What movies have you seen that have done this?

I have updated a number of my movies from DVD to BluRay and the aspect ratio has been identical for all of them, mostly ~2.4:1 for both.

Bill in NC
it is still much more common for the DVD release of a movie to be in a HDTV-friendlier (16:9) format than the Blu-ray release, which almost always preserves the original cinema format (roughly 21:9)

so, in general, you will end up with larger black bars with a Blu-ray vs. a DVD of the same movie.

Sam3

Bill in NC

Lew Zealand
Bill in NC

gabester

?

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 08, 2016 06:30AM
I didn't even realize you could go direct to Handbrake with a Blu-ray now. Worked quite well with my new Iron Giant BD.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 21, 2016 07:29AM
....you have to do it discreetly and in a way that you can't be blamed.....let on rip in silence, if possible and in a group so that others may be the possible culprit.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018